Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-950s Filter question  (Read 2769 times)
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »

I use a Kenwood TS-950s for my SWL. Not the SD. There is an open filter slot the says for AM filter. The manual doesnt talk about it as an option and I cant find any info on the web talking about it. There is also switch that turns on that filter position like the other filter positions.  If anyone has the same transceiver do you know if adding one would help with AM mode receive? Was there a AM filter there when they sold these knew? Any info would be great. Thanks
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »

Newer HF rigs from Kenwood are dual conversion with a 1st IF @ 8830 kHz and 2nd IF @ 455 kHz. Both IF chains can be tricked out with optional filtering. In the case of the TS-950 you're looking for a YK-881A 6 kHz AM filter which is rare but can be found on eBay for a Franklin or slightly less. As with anything used, it is what it is and the seller could be Satan's evil twin. Or Not.

International Radio offers this drop-in equivalent:  http://www.inrad.net/product.php?productid=216&cat=40&page=1  with several mounting options. Note the drop-down menu item for 'radio' in the URL with the TS-950 as a choice.

Whether or not you need the filter is a judgement call only you can make. If the radio is good enough without it, it's good enough. If you do opt for the filter you'll know your radio is optioned as well as it can be for SWL use. 6 kHz is a good compromise between fidelity and selectivity, particularly in the SWL bands with 5 kHz spacing. INRAD also offers a 4 kHz AM filter (#475) which will sound a bit muffled compared to a 6 kHz filter.

If you're wondering about other filter options, click here:  http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=59

Never change a password on a Friday                
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »

Try quadruple conversion. 73.05, 8.8, 455kHz, & 100kHz. 15 kHz roofing filter in the first conversion.

Clif
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »

In reply as to whether you "need" the AM filter or not: 

It will likely only be of value if there is adjacent channel interference of some sort. 

For most AM shortwave listening, my answer is, "no, you don't need the filter."

HIFIMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »

Thanks everyone. The receive on AM does already seem pretty good. If I buy a filter it will be an Inrad. However I may be better to invest in a SSB filter where it would do the most good. Right now the SSB seems a little wide on receive. Thanks again.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »

Thanks everyone. The receive on AM does already seem pretty good. If I buy a filter it will be an Inrad. However I may be better to invest in a SSB filter where it would do the most good. Right now the SSB seems a little wide on receive. Thanks again.

Learn to use the IF Shift first. 

For a beginning ham, there are some things more important IMO than filters. 

For example, your money would likely be far better spent on an SWR/Power meter or Antenna Analyzer and a good quality Dummy Load. 

--Mac
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Thanks. Already have the IF shift down. Have a good watt meter and dummy load. When I get my ticket a nice HF antenna will be needed as right now
just using a SWL antenna. I already have an IC781, IC 756 Pro 2, an IC 765 and a FT 1000D so I have the operational stuff pretty much mastered at least on the receive end. Added
the TS -950 because I never tried one but did like the receive audio
of my old TS 940. When I get my ticket I will probably
narrow my collection down a bit once I determine a favorite
or two on transmitting. Then add an amp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: