Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting TS-480 to my Computer  (Read 2787 times)
K2TTM

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »

I just purchased a Kenwood TS-480 and want to hook it up to my computer so I can run HRD on it.   Kenwood say to use a DB-9 to DB-9. I've seen cables on Ebay that are listed as "CAT DB9 to USB" that claim to work on the TS-480's but before I buy one I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this.  My only other option seems to be a DB25 (currently the only unused COM port on my computer) to DB9 adapter/converter.  Any advice on which way to go?  Thanks.

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »

I use a USB to serial adapter here but you can also use your DB25 with a adapter to convert it to a DB9.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K8SI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »

If you ever plan to use the Kenwood software, be sure that you get a USB to serial cable that uses the FTDI chipset. Best idea is to go with the DB25 to DB9 converter and just use the native serial port.
Jim  K8SI
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »

I use a USB to serial adapter with a Manhattan chip and it works fine.  Make sure your serial cable is a straight serial port cable with the correct gender connectors.  A modem serial cable will NOT work.  I use this on setup with Linux Ubuntu  Grin and XP Angry and it works great with both.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

I just purchased a Kenwood TS-480 and want to hook it up to my computer so I can run HRD on it.   Kenwood say to use a DB-9 to DB-9. I've seen cables on Ebay that are listed as "CAT DB9 to USB" that claim to work on the TS-480's but before I buy one I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this.  My only other option seems to be a DB25 (currently the only unused COM port on my computer) to DB9 adapter/converter.  Any advice on which way to go?  Thanks.

I use this serial adapter with an FDTI chipset: http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=106&catid=420%2C482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

This is only a foot long, so I would recommend still getting the DB9 serial cable anyway. I have seen them on ebay for like $5 for a 10 footer.

I use HRD and Windows 7. Most new computers do not have serial ports, so you needs the adapter in the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: