Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-R9000 needs 5 minutes to warm up, any help?  (Read 2553 times)
W4AJF

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »

Hi all, I bought an IC-R9000 receiver and find it takes 5 minutes to warm up, for the first few minutes the receive signal will fade in and out, the S meter may be at a 9 and it will drop to about 0 and come back, after 5 minutes it stays steady and seems fine. Anyone familiar specifically with the IC-R9000?

Thanks for any help.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
adamf@eeco.com
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »

Sounds like an internal power supply problem like bad electrolytic capacitors which need a while to stabilize.
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »

I would agree - sounds like a power supply problem.

The earlier IC-R7000 had a similar problem with electrolytics drying out and having to be replaced after a few years operation.

Can you run it from an external DC supply to see if you still have the same problem - From memory I think it has a DC connector on the back.

Otherwise try looking on-line I bet a few people will have had the same problem.

Here's a starting point

http://www.qsl.net/icom/oldicomfaq/ic-r9000.html

or ask on the IC-R9000 yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IcomR9000ownersclub

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com
W4AJF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »

Hi Martin, thanks for the post. I did try it from a DC power supply but it is the same. I also did post on the IC-R9000 Yahoo group so we will see what happens.

Thanks,

Adam W4AJF
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

It is not astonishing that the DC supply didn't change the situation. There are lots of electrolytic capacitors spread all over.
You can see bad ones if you open the case. Real bad ones show signs of leaking or bulging. Check out the pictures under http://www.badcaps.net/
W4AJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »

Not a bad idea, will pull off the covers and poke around. Thanks, Adam W4AJF
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

Poke carefully  Wink
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

Hi Adam,

OK - the problem with the IC-R7000 was associated with capacitors on the DC-DC convertor board and the Display board.

The DC-DC convertor board was used to generate voltages for the ACG and Varicap circuits. Which produced similar symptoms, when the capacitors had dried out.

I'm not saying that is the problem - but I bet the 9000 uses similar circuitry to the earlier models.

See if you can get hold of a copy of the service manual from somewhere like mods.dk. Then try measuring the various supply rail voltages during warm up. See if anything changes.

Good Luck,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »

Try this link for info on problems associated with the 9000 DC-DC board

http://www.qsl.net/icom/download/ic781/yo9fzs_ic781.zip
W4AJF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »

Agreed all, now I have to get time to get in the mood for that and hope that's it!  Thanks again to all who replied. Again, if anyone has had this EXACT problem and knows a "sort cut" that would be great.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »

Agreed all, now I have to get time to get in the mood for that and hope that's it!  Thanks again to all who replied. Again, if anyone has had this EXACT problem and knows a "sort cut" that would be great.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF

Did you call Icom and ask them what they think?
W4AJF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:26 AM »

Hi all, some further testing: I found that the radio ONLY needs to warm up on HF, all other bands are fine, NO warmup needed. Also, on HF, when it fades out during warm up I find that it fades out LESS when AGC SLOW is selected. If a signal is S9 and set to AGC FAST the signal may fade to near 0 and then come back, with AGC SLOW it may only drop to like S5 and come back, With AGC OFF I can still hear it fade. This is with all modes. Perhaps this can narrow down where I may be looking for the problem?

Thanks again to any and all who helped or can help.

Adam Farber W4AJF
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »

Another way to narrow down the culprit is to use freeze spray. Let the radio warm up and stabilise and then use short controlled bursts of spray till the radio becomes unstable. Use the spray tube that came with the can of spray to try and only hit certain components. I'd start with the electrolytic caps on the DC to DC converter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: