Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are log books required by the FCC or is that just a tradition  (Read 6847 times)
N0SOY

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »

I remember hearing as a teenager in the long dark past that log books were required by the FCC.  Is that still a requirment?(assuming that it really ever was)  If so What are your preferences for books?

thanks
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »

No they are not required. ARRL website is where I get mine. I still keep paper log book for all HF contacts. Nice to look back on over the years 73 K1WJ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »

It used to be an FCC requirement but was dropped many years ago.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

Logging each individual contact is no longer required.  But the FCC does
still require that certain station records be maintained, for example, when
someone else acts as control operator of your station.  You don't have to
call those records a logbook.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »

I like K1WJ's answer--they're no longer required, but they're nice to have and look through from time to time. Many years ago I operated air mobile, but I left that job and began a new career in a different town. One day, thumbing through an old log, I saw that one of my AM contacts was with a lady ham in a neighboring town. I found out that she had become an SK, and that her son was keeping up the family hobby. We became good friends.

I also keep copies of my license grants in the log, as well as a copy of the mandatory RF exposure survey, and any other pertinent station data. For example, when I installed my last two antennas, I recorded the Rr, Z and SWR of each, and the tuner settings that produced best matching, so that if anything goes wrong in the future I can refer back to my installation notes. I've also got the serial numbers of all my equipment in there as well.

I may be wrong, but I think you still need to keep records of any third-party traffic. Current FCC rules are available online, and I'll have to check to be sure, but I do it anyway.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:55 AM »

If you don't keep a log and somebody accuses you of interference then how can you prove you were not on air?

Tanakasan
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »

"If you don't keep a log and somebody accuses you of interference then how can you prove you were not on air?"

How is a log book going to prove that you were not on the air???  I could talk to a dozen people and not log it! Guess I wasn't on the air....
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:41 AM »

If you don't keep a log and somebody accuses you of interference then how can you prove you were not on air?

Tanakasan

You can't prove you weren't on the air.  No more so than having a log entry proves you were on the air.  I know it is tough to believe and this is getting to be less true everyday, but in the US we are presumed innocent until proven guilty.  The burden of proof is on the person making the charges, not the accused. Just because you have no written logs does not make you guilty of causing interference.  Similar to the old joke, "When did you quit beating your wife."   
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »

I've maintained a log for HF operation for my entire ham career, even when the FCC mandated that it was no longer necessary.  By this time my logbook had become part of my station..... a record of past fun, failures and even frustrations.  Looking back through them, especially my first log of 1956, never fails to stir long forgotten memories of people that I became friends with.

As for the logbook proving that I was on or off the air at the time of alleged interference..... it can't.  But I've always felt that a neat logbook can be a stumbling block for someone accusing you of a problem.  As one said, "you're innocent until proven guilty."

My argument is, "My logbook, in which All of my contacts are recorded, says that I wasn't on the air.  You prove that I was!" 

Then again, if I was on the air, then we might have a problem and so let's solve it.  It works both ways.

TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »

"My argument is, "My logbook, in which all of my contacts are recorded, says that I wasn't on the air.  You prove that I was!""

Exactly, and if the visiting inspector walks into your shack and sees a row of log books going back thirty years they're more likely to believe your side of the tale, especially if those log books show monthly tests of your transmitter for accurate frequency readings and clean output.

Then whilst he's drinking his coffee you show him the rest of the shack.

Tanakasan
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »

I log all HF contacts, because keeping a log is a tradition and one I support.  If someone send me a QSL card, I want them in the log.

I don't log VHF or UHF contacts unless it is something notable.

But it is no longer required, as noted.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »

Not sure how you confirm a QSL received without a log. Guess if you never intend to QSL, never intend to go for any awards, never intend to contest, etc. then a log is not needed. That type of op would be sad, just my opinion. Of course if you don't operate hf just 2 meter repeaters then no log would be needed.
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »

Here in the UK we had to keep a log until relatively recently (a few years ago).  Now we don't have to but like others, I think it's nice to have a record of contacts made, not just for nostalgic reasons, but for technical information too: how does this new antenna compare with my old one etc.  But I'm old-fashioned: I still like real QSL cards!

Jonathan, M5AEO, London.

N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »

When I was a kid originally licensed in 1970, I kept a paper log and would often look through it.  I wish I still had it.  Now it's electronic although not required.  I like to know what bands I need certain entities on and especially like knowing the operator's name ahead of time.  it makes for a more personal QSO.
VE4TTH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

a few reasons I can think of to keep a log:

1) To aid in the exchange of QSL cards. Both in sending out and verifying incoming cards.

2) For personal reference and gratification. It's nice to see how many DX stations you have already worked, or maybe you made contact with someone who has similar interests outside of Ham Radio, and your log includes that information.

3) To accurately respond to interference complaints. Although not a legal document in the strictest sense of the word, it gives YOU the information you need to determine if in fact you were operating at the time the interference was reported. What course of action is taken can be influenced by the log.

4) Lets not forget....for bragging rights! Your log shows just how many countries, DXpeditions, IOTA stations, Moon Bounces, Satellite contacts, and so on you have worked, and your Ham Buddies will just have to step up and get on with it if they too want those bragging rights too!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: