Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Program SAR Freqs Into My Yaseau FT-2600M  (Read 12677 times)
N6QS

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »

I am a Search & Rescue volunteer with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in Southern California and I would like to extend the TX range on my FT-2600M to be able to operate on SAR freqs (155 MHZ). Our unit currently uses Vertex HT’s and mobile units so I figure this may be able to be done relatively easily through programming software. Since I’m allowed to operate on these freqs there wouldn’t be any legal issues. Many of the members have had their Alinco mobiles already modified to be able to operate on these freqs which are standard SAR state wide. Anybody have any ideas?

73 de Dave, N6QS
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

Since I’m allowed to operate on these freqs there wouldn’t be any legal issues.

I'm afraid that's incorrect.  While you might be allowed to use those frequencies, you're not allowed to do so on a non type accepted transceiver.  You need to use a properly type accepted commercial part 90 transceiver for this type of operation.  Your buddies using modified Alinco radios aren't operating legally either if they are transmitting on 155MHz with them.

Frankly, since SAR activities routinely involve life and death situations, I wouldn't want to rely on a consumer grade radio for communications in such a scenario.  I would think the San Bernadino County Sheriff's Department would understand the importance of using the correct equipment.

Stephen
N5VTU
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »

Since I’m allowed to operate on these freqs there wouldn’t be any legal issues.

I'm afraid that's incorrect.  While you might be allowed to use those frequencies, you're not allowed to do so on a non type accepted transceiver.  You need to use a properly type accepted commercial part 90 transceiver for this type of operation.  Your buddies using modified Alinco radios aren't operating legally either if they are transmitting on 155MHz with them.

To be honest, you do not know for sure whether it is legal or not.  Are you the SAR radio use police?  The question has nothing to do with ham radio operation.

If I recall it is a snip of a wire or removal of a solder bridge to enable out-of-band transmit on a FT-2600.

Mike
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »

Being physically able to do it does not make it legal to do it.  It is a ham rig and is not part 90 approved.  You put yourself and the license holder at legal risk using non-approved equipment.

Advising someone of the potential problems with their plan is not being the police.  It is an attempt to prevent them from having an unpleasant interaction with the radio police.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:03:05 PM by KCJ9091 » Logged
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

As an Extra class, he should know better.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »

He's "search and rescue", so that makes it OK. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:25:37 AM »

too funny....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »

To be honest, you do not know for sure whether it is legal or not.  Are you the SAR radio use police?  The question has nothing to do with ham radio operation.

If I recall it is a snip of a wire or removal of a solder bridge to enable out-of-band transmit on a FT-2600.

Just because the radio is capable of transmitting on those frequencies does not mean that it can do so legally.  The radio does have to be type accepted for the service that it is used on, and the FT2600M is NOT type accepted for transmitting on those SAR frequencies.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »

"To be honest, you do not know for sure whether it is legal or not"

To be honest, we DO know for sure whether it's legal or not, and it's NOT..
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »

My old SAR team got caught with a load of amateur rigs on 155.160 and it was ugly when the FCC showed up with a big bill.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »

N6QS,

Your first mistake was coming to this forum and asking the question. You should have gone to the guys with the Alinco radios and asked THEM where they had their radios modified, then had it done. Unless someone "dimed you out", no one would be the wiser. Then you could have avoided all the lectures about the legalities, and the sarcastic remarks, which are so typical on here.

I'd be glad to help you if you want to contact me off-line.

And thank you for your service.

-Chuck
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:02 AM »

This IS an AMATEUR RADIO website.  The amateur radio service polices itself, which is why we've been given some of the freedoms that we have from the FCC.  Advice that out of the amateur band use can be done runs contrary to that --the self-policing I mentioned.  The only reason that radios could be 'opened up' was the differences in some of the ham band allocations between countries--that and of course the MARS service.

This is one of the points that incoming newbies are ignorant of--or know about and just plain ignore.  Also, you will notice that, most of the time, the advice "Go ahead and do it--nobody will know" comes from those who on this forum refuse to give any sort of traceable identification!  Kind of tells you something right there, doesn't it?

Break the law, and sooner or later, you'll get caught.  When you do, be prepared to pay the piper, because it WILL cost you.  Oh, yeah--and you can also thank your 'friends' here and elsewhere that gave you the advice to "Go ahead and do it--you'll never get caught."

N8WWM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

Obey FCC rules, as you agreed to do in writing when you got your license. People who encourage others not to do so are as much to blame, but it is the violator who has signed on the line.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »

If anyone wonders why some people claim that ham radio is becoming more like CB all the time, HERE IS YOUR ANSWER.  Thankfully this is still the exception rather than the rule.  We all need to be sure that it stays that way.
Tom

Your first mistake was coming to this forum and asking the question. You should have gone to the guys with the Alinco radios and asked THEM where they had their radios modified, then had it done. Unless someone "dimed you out", no one would be the wiser. Then you could have avoided all the lectures about the legalities, and the sarcastic remarks, which are so typical on here.
I'd be glad to help you if you want to contact me off-line.  And thank you for your service.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »

Whatever...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: