Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what does this mean for postage on a qsl card  (Read 2527 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »

For JX9JKA, it says

Postage EU = 13 NKR, World = 15 NKR. 1 USD = 5,5 NKR. EUROPE AND REST OF THE WORLD: 3 GREEN STAMPS OR 1 IRC.

What is an NKR?
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »

For JX9JKA, it says

Postage EU = 13 NKR, World = 15 NKR. 1 USD = 5,5 NKR. EUROPE AND REST OF THE WORLD: 3 GREEN STAMPS OR 1 IRC.

What is an NKR?

Norwegian currency
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

I think NKR = "Norwegian Krone", the unit of money there.

Lately I do 3 GS unless they ask for more. Just a few years ago it was 2 GS. I don't have the patience for bureau cards (although I love it when my sorter gives me a pile) and if I didn't do LOTW... wow a 5BDXCC would take a few thousand dollars just in GS and postage.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »

This is probably a repeat of your information. Sounds like 3 green stamps should cover it. $2 would not.

From http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html :

Updated: 19-Feb-2012

15 Kroner (US) 1 USD = 5.70 Kroner

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »

That equals to about $3 USD for postage.  I sent 1 IRC as stated on qrz.com and got a QSL card back.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:09:08 AM »

$3.00 is where I seriously start looking at an IRC instead of money....
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »

Yeahbut... but most commonly they are asking for "3 GS or 2 IRC's" or "3GS or 3 IRC's". I don't mind overpaying a bit with GS (because this will help defray card printing costs etc) but feel that asking for extra IRC's doesn't add up.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »

Yeahbut... but most commonly they are asking for "3 GS or 2 IRC's" or "3GS or 3 IRC's". I don't mind overpaying a bit with GS (because this will help defray card printing costs etc) but feel that asking for extra IRC's doesn't add up.

Agree with ya especially since there's a demand for their QSL card, especially for chasing awards like DXCC.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »

Some don't bother with exchanging IRCs. They sell them instead and get just $2 for one.

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

If you want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler!  What we do just to get a confirmation.  One thing to remember if you are getting QSL's for confirmation, is it accepted by the ARRL DXCC for credit?  I've called them a couple of times to find that one of my QSL's wasn't accepted for DXCC credit because the station hadn't filled out the paperwork.  This coming week I'm taking down a large stack to get checked and then I'll find out if this is really worth the effort and money.  If your just QSLing for the enjoyment of it, then that's another matter.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 06:39:51 AM »

If you want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler!  What we do just to get a confirmation.  One thing to remember if you are getting QSL's for confirmation, is it accepted by the ARRL DXCC for credit?  I've called them a couple of times to find that one of my QSL's wasn't accepted for DXCC credit because the station hadn't filled out the paperwork.  This coming week I'm taking down a large stack to get checked and then I'll find out if this is really worth the effort and money.  If your just QSLing for the enjoyment of it, then that's another matter.

I am just putting together my application for 80M DXCC and thus 5BDXCC.

So far the dollar amount I've spent for paper cards for DXCC purposes? $0. All LOTW for the first four bands. But I will be submitting 5 paper cards to get me from 95 LOTW confirmations to 100 DXCC confirmations, and will have to admit that I spent probably $10-$15 on postage and in GS for those cards (one came to me via buro; two of them were stateside ops on vacation in Carribean locations so QSL only takes local postage; one was DXPed with OQRS; and one was direct with 3 GS).

If I had not used LOTW but used direct with GS... it would be circa $2000 for the 5BDXCC just to pay for nominal postage. Wow. Long live the bureau!!!

That said I do enjoy paper cards and if I started aiming for Honor Roll then I would probably pay more attention to paper cards rather than just chasing LOTW users. My happiest days are the days I meet my card sorter. Long live the bureau!!!
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »

Tim, that's fantastic.  I'm not that fortunate on the cost though.  I'm still lacking a few on 80 and hope to pick them up this winter but who knows.  I wish everyone used LOTW but unfortunately they don't.  I only have 226 cfmed LOTW.  My main goal is to make 300 worked by the end of the year and I'm pretty close and hopefully cfmed but that's wishful thinking.  This batch of cards I'm getting checked Wednesday includes 2 from 1969 that I dug up.  I'm just having a blast trying.
Randy
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »

Unless there is NO other way and it has been proven to work, I would suggest to avoid the stations asking for 2 or more IRCs as it is a better than average chance you're going to get "AIR" mail in return. That's AIR as in 'nothing to see'. These types prey upon the fact that they may be considered a rare QTH and people want their card. They let out just enough cards to keep up interest and have a few say 'Well I got mine so it must have never got to the DX station. Better send another"

Personally it's one (1) IRC or up to US$3 to a fixed location or a donation of some acceptable amount ($5 to $20 usually) to a DXpedition providing I feel they did a good job to NA and the US. DXpeditions that favor EU only and hardly work NA get less in my book and nothing if I don't work them. Let their EU buddies pay their way. I never send more than 1 IRC and avoid all IRC traps.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »

Personally it's one (1) IRC or up to US$3 to a fixed location or a donation of some acceptable amount ($5 to $20 usually) to a DXpedition providing I feel they did a good job to NA and the US. DXpeditions that favor EU only and hardly work NA get less in my book and nothing if I don't work them. Let their EU buddies pay their way. I never send more than 1 IRC and avoid all IRC traps.

Gene W5DQ

Gene, I agree with everything you say except the "no donation if you dont land a QSO".  If I heard em, and just could not break through, I still will send a small donation if they did a good job to NA & US.  BUT.... If I was unable to EVEN HEAR THEM, for whatever reason, I dont/wont send a donation.  To each his own, I guess Huh
73, Gene AF3Y Cool
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »

Gene, I agree with everything you say except the "no donation if you dont land a QSO".  If I heard em, and just could not break through, I still will send a small donation if they did a good job to NA & US.  BUT.... If I was unable to EVEN HEAR THEM, for whatever reason, I dont/wont send a donation.  To each his own, I guess
73, Gene AF3Y

It is rare that I do not "land" a DXpedition on at least one or two bands slots so it is unusual for me NOT to be putting something in the mix - I try to use OQRS if at all possible. If I do not work them, I still am a overall donor as I drop a lump sum in the NCDXF coffers annually. They support many of the DXpeditions, even the ones I might miss .... like 7O and 6O. Try as I might I could get through to either of these operations  Angry

BTW the 6BTV is still doing great. Looking forward to some 160M work with it this fall/winter.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: