Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Specific bonding for a Ford Fiesta 5-door?  (Read 3181 times)
G7MRV

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:26:52 AM »

Ok, one for K0BG if hes about!  Smiley

I drive a 2007 model Ford Fiesta, 5-door hatchback. Installed within this machine is my FT-857D (radio in trunk). The center of the roof is where the 2m 5/8th is mounted (or the 1/4w depending on what im doing) on a panorama professional mount. Closer to the rear of the roof (but still on the centerline) is the HF antenna mount (an SO-239).

I seem to be doing most of my operating mobile at present, so time has come to make the system as efficient as possible. So, onto bonding!

I understand the principles and reasons, i just have  a few queries regarding actual implementation. And yes, i have fully read K0BGs website!

I'll just put my questions as a list, they should all be self explanatory -

1. Should i bond across both hinges on the doors, or is a single strap sufficient?

2. Do i have to make fresh holes in the doors and frame, or can i attache the straps under the hinge nuts? ensuring of course that the connection is sound?
3. With regards to extra bonding on the engine block, how many should be used? and should these be attached symetrically, ie one on each side of the block?

cheers

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:31 AM »

-One is fine.  However on the hood/boot/bonnet I use two or three straps. The horizontal
bonds are the most important for antenna performance.

-I use dedicated fasteners/holes.  I don't want to foul up door mounts etc, and want to get the best electrical connection.

-One is fine, some people put two

bill
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

Bill's fair on with using existing fasteners. The most important parts are the horizontal surfaces (hood, trunk, bonnet, boot, hatches, exhaust, etc.). Vertical ones are less important, but I still do them all.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »

Ok, one for K0BG if hes about!  Smiley

I drive a 2007 model Ford Fiesta, 5-door hatchback. Installed within this machine is my FT-857D (radio in trunk). The center of the roof is where the 2m 5/8th is mounted (or the 1/4w depending on what im doing) on a panorama professional mount. Closer to the rear of the roof (but still on the centerline) is the HF antenna mount (an SO-239).

I seem to be doing most of my operating mobile at present, so time has come to make the system as efficient as possible. So, onto bonding!

I understand the principles and reasons, i just have  a few queries regarding actual implementation. And yes, i have fully read K0BGs website!

I'll just put my questions as a list, they should all be self explanatory -

1. Should i bond across both hinges on the doors, or is a single strap sufficient?

2. Do i have to make fresh holes in the doors and frame, or can i attache the straps under the hinge nuts? ensuring of course that the connection is sound?
3. With regards to extra bonding on the engine block, how many should be used? and should these be attached symetrically, ie one on each side of the block?

cheers

Fellow Brit here with a Ford Mondeo.

Go across both the tailgate hinges and also the bonnet hinges. You'll get little benefit from doing the doors. I used serrated washers underneath the nuts/bolts that secured the hinges in place wherever possible. The straps for the tailgate were made out of RG213 braid with crimp tags on the end soldered in place. The bonnet one because it was quite long was 1.5" braid strapping. Also do the exhaust.

Before you start doing it, measure the resonant X=0 point of your HF antenna. As you add bonding, you'll notice the frequency drop. Mine dropped 300kHz.

Here's a link to my install and you'll see the bonding straps.
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn9/computershack/Amateur%20stuff/Icom%207000%20install

Must've done it right because my BetterRF Icom 7000 Tune Control/Screwdriver Control now works properly and they're seriously sensitive to common mode.
PS - I am also using a Panorama M8 mount with a 5/8 wave VHF monobander as you'll see in the photos...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:49:44 PM by M6GOM » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

The seat track mount works out well.  I like how slim it is, and doesn't get in the passenger's way.  bill
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »

Thanks. Took me a day to do the installation. Seats out, trim removed to route all the cabling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: