Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unpleasant surprise  (Read 6094 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:16:35 AM »

My car, six years old, got turned into a pile of rubble a week ago; yesterday I picked up my new car.  Everything happened fairly fast, and I didn't give any specific thought to HF mobile when I decided on a new car.   Yesterday I went out to look at the new car in the driveway; I was wondering about doing it right this time and putting a Breedlove ball mount on the rear quarterpanel for HF.

And I discovered--unpleasant surprise!--that most of my "sheet metal" is actually sheet plastic.  :-(

I guess I've got some thinking to do, eh?   On the bright side, I hadn't looked at www.k0bg.com in a while--it looks like Alan has put a lot of work into it over the last year or two.  :-)  I imagine I'll do a lot of looking at the website while I try to decide what to do with the new car.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »

This is one of the reasons I did not buy a Honda Element. And it isn't just the element! Almost all new vehicles have more plastic than most folks realize, and it is about to get worse. The Honda Ridgeline was one of the first to have a composite bed. The Toyota Tacoma has one too, and soon the Tundra. I'd also bet Ford isn't far behind with one as well. What's a poor mobile operator going to do?

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »

I expect you'll see more and more plastic as time goes on. It is durable and can take a minor hit and pop back into shape without damage. A similar hit to metal would do several thousand dollars worth of damage.

Even the metal used is often so thin that the days of bolting a ball mount to a fender is about over.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:53 AM »

You've got that right.  Half the time these days that I put a drill to a body panel, I pray that the panel is durable enough that it won't crumple up like aluminum foil!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »

I warned about the move to plastic and aluminum in car bodies on another thread not long ago and some who have posted here balked at it. Now, a hapless ham who did not read my post or discounted it has spent tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle that is of little value for his hobby.  Cry

Be careful making assumptions from the comments and advise of the self-appointed eHam.net experts on this site. You have more to lose than your money, but that is bad enough!  Wink

Interestingly, the unknowing "victim" of this widely publicized change in the car industry is one of the self-appointed eHam.net experts (one of the gang, bullies, etc.) marked with the "ignore" button who constantly has to post some derogatory remark when I share information.  Karma is bad!   Sad
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:48:48 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:06:03 AM »

Aluminum I can deal with as it's still a metal.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »

Better make sure it is a small antenna. The aluminum on the new cars is thin and easily bent. On top of that, it may be impossible to repair in the event of deformation due to antenna wind resistance and or impact. Read the string in this subject group on tri-magnet mounts. You won't be using those either.  Wink 
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »

I warned about the move to plastic and aluminum in car bodies on another thread not long ago and some who have posted here balked at it. Now, a hapless ham who did not read my post or discounted it has spent tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle that is of little value for his hobby.  Cry

Be careful making assumptions from the comments and advise of the self-appointed eHam.net experts on this site. You have more to lose than your money, but that is bad enough!  Wink

Interestingly, the unknowing "victim" of this widely publicized change in the car industry is one of the self-appointed eHam.net experts (one of the gang, bullies, etc.) marked with the "ignore" button who constantly has to post some derogatory remark when I share information.  Karma is bad!   Sad
So....You are claiming expertise in this field.  Which makes you a 'self appointed expert'.  And if we take your further advice we should ignore your advice.   *Tilt*   Smiley 
WT3O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »

K0BG: "This is one of the reasons I did not buy a Honda Element."

I have a Honda Element and it works very well for both HF and VHF. There is metal under the plastic quarter panels (which don't dent when hit by shopping carts). I have a Yaesu FT-857D and the ATAS-120 antenna. I've talked all over the world with this setup, but I had a first yesterday: I talked to another Element mobile! I'm not going to lie, your website helped me out greatly with my mobile setup.

To AC4RD: What kind of car do you have now? An antenna that isn't mounted in an ideal location is better than no antenna at all.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »

Well, Nick, and ATAS is one thing, and an 18 pound Scorpion is quite another! I actually had the dealer put one up on a rack, so I could look underneath. The only place I could have mounted the Scorpion was on the front fender. Even then I would have had to remove it to get into the garage.

TO: SDY. You won't find the case in the files of the NHTSA, as the crash happened before the NHSTA required the reporting of telemetrics. Instead, spend some time on the Cleveland site.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »

It's really too bad that most of those people who start throwing rocks at the so called 'self-appointed experts' are themselves guilty of being the very same type of person, especially when they themselves really don't know much of anything to begin with.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 04:16:24 AM »

AC4RD: What kind of car do you have now? An antenna that isn't mounted in an ideal location is better than no antenna at all.

Smiley That's the sort of antenna I had on my last car--also a small econobox.  I wound up using DXE and homebrew masts with Hustler resonators and homebrew cap hats, and the antenna was mounted on a "tow hook" screwed into the rear bumper.  It was definitely not an ideal antenna mount, I just kept improvising and trying things until I hit that combination, but it got me on HF and I had a lot of fun with it.

My new car doesn't have a tow hook opening in the bumper, or not one I've found yet.  The rear hatch could take an antenna mount, but that doesn't seem like a great solution.  I'm thinking in the next few weeks I'll have a trailer hitch put on the car; that'll at least give me a place for an antenna until I come up with something better.  (I don't want to put in a radio until I've had the car for a week or three, in case there are warranty problems.)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:45 AM »

LMAO! I can't imagine an experienced ham not taking a refrigerator magnet with him or her to make sure the vehicle to be purchased will meet the needs of the operator. How much did you pay for the "plastic" car? Cheesy
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »

TO: SDY. You won't find the case in the files of the NHTSA, as the crash happened before the NHSTA required the reporting of telemetrics. Instead, spend some time on the Cleveland site.
[/quote]

What is this post about? What crash? What telemetrics? What Cleveland site? What do I smoke or take to have imaginary conversations in my head like that?  Roll Eyes
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »

Alan K0BG, who makes a good device for mounting an antenna to a quarter panel? I recently bought a new car and need to install the ATAS-120 screwdriver on it. I didn't think much of the Diamond mount I used on the other car.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: