Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get over this?  (Read 3983 times)
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »

I know it's not HF, but what I tell the local new guys on the repeater is when you get in your car or truck and turn on the radio, if nobody is on the repater to pick up the microphone and just say their call.

This leads most of them to being better known and getting into more conversations.

If you never pick up the mic and start it's certain that nobody will know you are there to participate.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AC7ZN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 06:32:20 AM »

Hi Christopher,

I went through this.  Here is an idea to try:
Get a notebook and write things to say.  Start with the basics: all QSOs start with something like:

Your name
Your location
The other guys signal report (use 5-9 if you are uncomfortable reporting something lower),
Your rig and output power
Your antenna
The weather (temperature and cloud condition)

If you are really paralyzed write everything word-for-word.  Just keywords may work if it's not so bad.  The above is plenty for the first one or two exchanges.  If you are doing word-for-word include her and your callsign and "over" at the end.

Once over the preliminaries you can do how long you've been a ham, your work, interesting things about where you live, what you know about HIS QTH, and what aspect of ham radio you are most interested in.  You can REALLY get the other guy going if you tell him you are trying a new mike and would like a more detailed report...

If you still have trouble after this, just expand the notebook.

Good luck and hope to catch you on the air!

Glenn AC7ZN

G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

That's nothing, its been about eight years since the world has had the pleasure of my melliflous tones ! Same here, but from what I hear, I've missed nothing

Mel G0GQK
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: