Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 756 pro 3 vs icom 7410  (Read 3620 times)
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »

The 950 is more in the 746Pro type radio as far as front end, its an up convergence design which is now old school compared to the down convergence rigs with roofing filters. What gets me is the second RX in the FTDX5K is at 40Mhz and has better specs than the 950 RX so maybe Yaesu is barking up the wrong tree with the lower mid price range rig. If Icom wanted to start a fire they would have brought out a down convergence rig in the 7410 but when with what they more than likely have a ton of parts to build instead. When the 590 came out it really surprised that $1500-$2000 range of rigs and I don't know what Icom's marketing was thinking but many of there 746Pro owners would up grade to the 7410. The 8-11Mhz 1st IF roof with a good DSP design seems the ticket today for a better RX design, I also believe that these companies should also build in these roofing filters that could be up graded with plug in types like the K3 did. If Kenwood would have done this it would have been the K3 Killer but I think there marketing department just wanted to get in the HF game again but to be right behind rigs like the K3/Flex 5000/FTDX5K/Orion's is not a bad place to be and is under $2K. They nailed the price range well and Icom has been selling on there band scope like TV screens for way too long, it doesn't add anything to the RX performance as far as front end overload or being able to op during a busy weekend on the air, the band scope is a toy and is designed for the lazy ham who cannot or doesn't want to spin the dial to see what on a given band. As far as band scopes go nobody does that better than the Flex but you gotta like a no knob rig. IMO Icom's gotta get to work with the design team and get back to building a better RX, there 10 years behind.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »

i currently own a pro3 and was truly considering going for a 7410. seeling my 746 pro maybe......,to accomodate the 7410 and keep the pro3 as a side rig.. or sell the pro 3 and keep the 746pro.still undecided,but have heard great things from 7410 owners on the air.

its hard to tell by watching u tube videoes,as comparison videos are hard to judge by poor recording,etc,etc.

the pro 3 is a pleasure to operate and has great recieve. i dont use the scope, but LOVE the dual watch/recieve feature...that would be one feature i would miss on the 7410
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: