Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K4EAA Kenwood Hybrid Repair  (Read 3599 times)
W4CAS

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »

Does anyone know if Ken is still in business? I understand that he is the best in the business when it comes to the restoration/repair of Kenwood hybrids. I've sent him a couple of e-mails and gotten no response - I hope he's still in business and OK!    Charlie W4CAS
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Ken is not currently accepting repairs, due to health.
At last count, he repaired/restored over 600 Kenwood hybrids over a 3 year period.
That is an average of ONE hybrid repaired EACH BUSINESS DAY !!

Ken is still selling Hard to Find Kenwood Parts.
I understand that his wife fills and ships these orders.

There are very competent Kenwood hybrid technicians available, that accept repair work.

w9gb
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:20:55 PM by W9GB » Logged
W4CAS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »

Thanks for the info, Greg. I was afraid that Ken was having problems. Hopefully he'll recover and be OK soon. So, who else would you suggest as a good Kenwood hybrid tech?
K9TW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:14:05 AM »

I am a friend of Kens. Have spent time in his living room and in his shop. He lives in Sarasota and I winter in Fort Myers Beach south of him. I repair hybrids as well and my count is at 83 at year 9. I will never equal Kens count and have no desire to do so. In fact I no longer offer cafeteria style repair. Have a 520 on bench now and an 830 on the way and after that pretty much closing down with exception of helping/mentoring new "novice" hybrid owners.

I dont think he would mind me sharing this. Ken has ITP. ITP attacks your blood platelets. The treatment for this includes steroids which can be very debilitating. If disease progresses it can result in requirement to remove the spleen. I dont know if it can progress to life threatening situation.

The 600 repair count is accurate but the "3 years" falls in the category of folklore. He would get a chuckle out of it. Although there have been many 2:00 am sessions in his shop.

Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He is not only a Kenwood hybrid guru he is a good man. 73s Terry K9TW
W4CAS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 06:42:56 AM »

Thanks, Terry. I'm sorry to hear that Ken is having such a bad time. I'll definitely keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
I just acquired an old 520 that seems to be in pretty good physical shape, but is in dire need of an alignment. After giving the service manual a good read, I think I can tackle most of it. I have or can borrow most of the test equipment needed, and I have a fairly good electronics background, so I think it will be a fun project. At least you can actually work on these things! If you are open for questions, I'm definitely a "novice" hybrid owner, so I might call on you if I get in over my head! Many thanks for the info on Ken and your background in hybrid repair!  73s Charlie W4CAS
K9TW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:18 AM »

Charlie: There are two kinds of alignments. Look at Sect 6 of your owners manual. It has instructions for aligning the RX and TX by using the Marker (xtal calibrator) as a signal source and your S-meter as a voltage detector. You can do a pretty good job of peaking up the 520 RX and TX performance by doing all these owner adjustments. About only thing you cannot do is accurately calibrate the zero and span on the S-meter. It requires an accurate 50uv signal to do it right, but if you just use the Marker and do a good coil pack alignment you should be able to get approx S9 marker signal. Suggest you study these steps and perform them as a first step. Often you will get significant improvement and no reason to go to Service manual procedures. It depends a lot on if former owners have messed with the IF transformers and the band pass filters.

To do a good Service manual alignment you will need a stable, accurate, shielded RF signal generator with a calibrated step attenuator, a RF millivolt meter, a VTVM, a Freq Counter, and a O-scope is helpful. A sweep generator makes band pass filters easy but you can stagger tune them with straight RF generator and a RF Millivolt meter or O-scope.

I am a member of the Yahoo Kenwood hybrid forum. Suggest you join as there are many knowledgeable TS-520 owners there who can also help you. 73s Terry K9TW
AA6CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »

I wish Ken all the best: I understand now why I haven't heard back from my email last week.  My restored TS-820s is beautiful!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »

hi

Great group for ts 5xx and 8xx hybrid fans

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: