Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corporate Special Event Stations  (Read 7657 times)
KO3D

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »

It seems to me that "anniversary" stations for companies (such as the upcoming MFJ 40th event K5MFJ on 10/6/12) violate part 97.113 (a) (3)  "Communications in which the station licensee or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an employer, with the following exceptions..." [the exceptions do not include this activity]

If the operator says "this is the MFJ 40th anniversary special event station", that constitutes an advertisement for MFJ enterprises and is illegal on the amateur bands.

Hams should definitely report this to the FCC if they hear this occur. I know I will.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

It depends on whether the operators are on the company clock when operating.  If they are volunteering their time, then no conflict.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »

As one of those volunteer operators, I am unpaid and have no employment affiliation with MFJ. The MFJ Amateur Radio Club station has applied for the special event call sign. This Club has been in operation for many years. To my knowledge, ALL of the operators of the MFJ Special Event station are members of the MSU Club W5YD, the Starkville Club (Magnolia ARC), or the Jackson MS ARC. How does this violate the cited FCC code? Please explain.

Frank
K4FMH
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »

I am checking with ARRL HQ and their regulatory compliance lawyer Dan Henderson, N1ND...he is in the air today but will be back in the office tomorrow. Just to be clear, the SE call K5MFJ is fir an ARRL-sanctioned event, ARRL Day in the Park, hosted by MFJ, as it was five years ago.

This is the same ARRL, I believe, that has sanctioned KO3D as a Volunteer Examiner. The SM for MS will be one of the SE station operators, calling the MS Phone Net on Friday. I welcome KO3D to check-in since he will be monitoring! If he chooses to file a report of violation for Part 97 to the FCC, he should name the ARRL as a co-respondent.

There will be no "need" for MFJ to exercise peculiarly interests in how this SE station is identified...the call probably says what it needs to say but it's really about the ARRL promoting amateur radio. I guess that it is on par with Icom's sponsorship of Ham Nation with Leo Laporte transmitting live on the show clearly talking about how great his donated Icom gear is! I know if no one who has filed a Part 97 violation for that.

This SE station will indeed be operation in full compliance with all FCC regulations pursuant to corporate-sponsored special events. I'm sure that the ARRL SM Malcolm Keown W5XX who will be on-site during the two-day celebration will see to that.

73 fellow hams...we hope to work you on the air!

Frank
K4FMH
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »

As Assistant Director, Delta Division of the ARRL, I received this legal opinion this afternoon. With regard to the K5MFJ Special Event station for the Mississippi ARRL Day in the Park, hosted by MFJ Enterprises in conjunction with their 40th Anniversary:

"The consensus here is as long as they are not employees actually on the air and if the operators don’t mention on the air any special sales going on during the anniversary there would be no problem.  This type of operation could be compared with special event stations operating from a museum or W1AW from Hamvention."

Thus, we hope that no one will be deterred from working K5MFJ (see mfjenterprises.com for frequencies, times, etc.). And, we hope to work KO3D on the air as well!

Frank
K4FMH
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

What bothers me more are the one by ones who misuse special event call-signs to give themselves an edge in a contest....

73, Bill
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

"I am checking with ARRL HQ and their regulatory compliance lawyer Dan Henderson, N1ND"

I don't believe that N1ND is a lawyer.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »

compared with special event stations operating from a museum or W1AW from Hamvention.

MFJ is quite unlike those two non-profit examples.

I, too, have long wondered about large corporations that field anniversary ham stations, for, as an example, the 100th anniversary of AT&T or Lockheed.

Yet if "Bob's Shoe Store" did the same, they'd be hounded off the air (and properly so). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: