Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FM Birds question  (Read 5622 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »

Has anybody used the BAOFENG  or Wouxun for working the FM birds?
Randy ka4nma
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »

I worked W5XZ on SO-50 on Saturday. He's using a Wouxun. There is a video on YouTube of a guy making QSOs with a Baofeng.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »

Neither firm makes a true duplex radio - but improve almost any HT's stock antenna, and you can work SO-50, AO-27, and the ISS. Best to be able to simultaneously receive as you transmit (second radio ... scanner ... ) - but not mandatory.

Complete details at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:37:12 AM »

The Wouxun dual-bands are one of the only HT's (besides a few Yaesu's) that are truly 'SAT Friendly' --- in that each memory can be programmed for the differnt 'band' RX & TX frequencies. It would be nice to hear yourself in a true duplex world but technically not feasable in small HTs. I have the UV3 for SAT opererations, it works great; I've programmed 4-5 memories for each SAT to accommodate doppler effacts and when need the 10min PL timer activation.

Now we just need more working FM SATs in orbit - we're down to only two SO-50 and the tempermental AO-27, with Fox-1 going into orbit next year.  ISS repeater is not active and crew OPs are very hit-n-miss.  Shocked

AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »

I use both, the Wouxun for xmit and the Baofeng for rcv to work full duplex. Happy with both, but I think I like the Baofeng better, and for $50 each you can buy two and work full duplex. I had a Yaesu ft-60r and the Baofeng and Wouxun work just as well.
KC0PNH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »

My UV-5RA can have split frequency memories.

The Wouxun dual-bands are one of the only HT's (besides a few Yaesu's) that are truly 'SAT Friendly' --- in that each memory can be programmed for the differnt 'band' RX & TX frequencies. It would be nice to hear yourself in a true duplex world but technically not feasable in small HTs. I have the UV3 for SAT opererations, it works great; I've programmed 4-5 memories for each SAT to accommodate doppler effacts and when need the 10min PL timer activation.

Now we just need more working FM SATs in orbit - we're down to only two SO-50 and the tempermental AO-27, with Fox-1 going into orbit next year.  ISS repeater is not active and crew OPs are very hit-n-miss.  Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: