Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5U - NIGER Activation in October!  (Read 3917 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »

Pretty sure lots of folks need this one.  I thought I had several 5U confirmations in the log.  Hah! ONE measley SSB QSO from 2007.  So, this one really interests me as well as you other guys.   Particulars at:

http://www.premiumorange.com/5u-2012/

And - Dont forget the CHAD activation TT8TT, Oct 3  - Oct 16

http://www.i2ysb.com/joomla5/

GONNA GET BUSY, DXWISE, PRETTY SOON!   GL to all!   Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:34:42 PM by AF3Y » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »

5U5U has been active on RTTY the past couple of days.  I don't know if you do RTTY but has a nice signal into N. Florida.  He currently is on 20 meters and the QRM is nasty at best.
Randy
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »

5U5U has been active on RTTY the past couple of days.  I don't know if you do RTTY but has a nice signal into N. Florida.  He currently is on 20 meters and the QRM is nasty at best.
Randy

Thanks Randy.......  Nope, I never have done RTTY.  I guess when I get Honor Roll on CW and Phone, I will give it a shot then. hi hi  Grin
 73, Gene AF3Y
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »

Looks great, their webpage says they will be using K3's and amps.   Didnt see what antennas.
ATNO for me !

Bob
K6UJ

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »

I have 4 QSO's with three different 5U's, all SSB. Time for a CW counter.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »

Looks great, their webpage says they will be using K3's and amps.   Didnt see what antennas.
ATNO for me !

Bob
K6UJ

Inverted L for topband, Dipoles and Verticals.  Nothing exotic.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

5U5U was on 15m RTTY earlier this morning.
Quite weak here and he was working mostly
Europeans. I tried for him, but NO LUCK.

Checked my DXCC listing, and I find I have Niger on 17ph only,
so it is time for some band fills and CW/RTTY.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »

He was working South EU, as I spent a few hours calling and never made it either, seen lots of 8's work him, but as the call number means nothing these days I have no idea what part of the US they were in,

I got him first call on 17 RTTY eariler in the day for DXCC 290 so missing him on 15 wasn't a big deal.

Trevor
EI2GLB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »

I have been chasing him for an ATNO the past couple of days with no luck.  I saw him spotted on 20m tonight working the EU and W6s.  I really hate working RTTY with a big pile up as I just don't know the DX's listening frequency.  I have tried using the VFO A and VFO B crossover switch on my rig. but with only one computer screen to decode the signal it's like shooting darts while being blindfolded.  I really need a good lesson from the pros.  Anyhow I parked my TX frequency and started calling.  The band was open to Africa but with a heavy QSB.  On one surprising moment his signal peaked up.  I sent my call and prayed that perhaps my signal will stand out.  To my delight and amazement he came back to me  Grin

ps I have never heard Niger on the band before so I thought I had worked a rare one.  I looked it up on DX news most wanted DXCC and it wasn't even in the top 100!  On clublog it's listed as 93rd.  Anyhow Niger is a very poor country with the average per capita annual income of only $700.  I doubt there are many licensed hams in Niger.

It is a wonderful feeling having just worked a new country, one that I didn't expect to be on the air until I saw this post.  GL to all.

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 05:06:56 AM »

I really hate working RTTY with a big pile up as I just don't know the DX's listening frequency.  I have tried using the VFO A and VFO B crossover switch on my rig. but with only one computer screen to decode the signal it's like shooting darts while being blindfolded.  I really need a good lesson from the pros.

Assuming your radio has dual-watch capabilities and two separate VFO outputs, it's quite easy. Run your main VFO's output to the main sound card's line in port, as usual, and run the second audio output to a second sound card's line in, and run with two instances of MMTTY up on screen (or whatever software you use).

If the pileups are extremely intense I'll go one extra step and swap VFOs so that the DX is on the second VFO and I'm hunting for the QSX on the main, with all my filters set tight. Sometimes that and a little bit of luck (or a not-so-little bit) are all I can do to get in the log.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »

I worked him today on 12M RTTY also Jon which was a pleasant surprise. A new one for me as well. Now I just have a few left in Africa, one of them being Kenya. I don't know why, but that seems to be a tough one to get although I've worked everything around it like Tanzania, Somalia, Ethiopia, etc. And it's not like it's that rare, but for some reason it just keeps eluding me Smiley

John K7KB
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »

Made it in on 20m rtty. We was about s2 or so.. about 40% copy most of the time working lots of EU. I gave hime the full beans from the Henry 3K-A and had a qso after 30min or so for a new one :-)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 04:33:37 AM »

I've now worked Chris on 3 bands RTTY now (two of them for new bandfills--12m and 30m). Not particularly difficult, even with 200W and a few EUs calling. I was extremely surprised that I got through, that's for sure. Africa on 30 is horrible for me since I can't use power and I have a really bad takeoff angle in that direction. So it's definitely doable!

Like others, I also don't have 5U on CW and I'm hoping the other operators haven't left their Morse keys at home Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

Got him on my first call on RTTY.  Great day for me, three ATNO's Niger, UK mil on Cypruss and Marshall Island.  All in 1 to 4 calls.
Go figure, nothing for the last 8 weeks or so and then 3 new ones.

VA2FSQ
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »

I also worked 5U5U on 28067 kHz with little effort. In the CQ WW RTTY contest I also got two ATNOs: PJ2/VE7SZ (for new Curacao) and VP2V/AA7V.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: