Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D2C SIGNALS so far..........  (Read 20103 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

Although I don't see too much disparity in the total number of QSO's. Swains had 105404 in 10 days while Conway had 71693 in 6 days. But it would be interesting to see a breakdown of geographic QSO's to see if there was a major disparity in areas worked between the two.

I don't think the best metric is the simple raw sum of all QSOs, but rather a) uniques and b) QSO distribution across the most ham-populous zones (Zones 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, 16 and 25). A second metric of a major world-class DXpedition is how well they succeeded on 10m plus the low bands, since there's far more of a challenge on 10, 80 and 160 than there is on, say, 15, 20 and 40. 3D2C did a great job on 15, 17, 20, 30 and 40 but they strugged over the long-haul zones on the outer bands...and in the view of this experienced DXer, I think SVDAs or even just simple vertical dipoles mounted in the salt water would have yielded better results.

They did a damned good job overall, but they did have some signal strength problems as compared to other operations to nearby entities who went the SVDA route. My best comparison would be George and Tomi who sat and ran the world from Chesterfield a few years back -- and who put in a killer signal on both 80 and 160, whereas the gents on Conway weren't as strong and had problems on the lowbands. TX3A was 100% vertical dipoles in salt water and they had crushingly-loud signals across the spectrum.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »

A distinct advantage of a beam is the ability to null out a particular direction.
A 30 dB null can be quite useful in getting rid of interference.

I think they would have done better on the low bands if the K index didn't get up to 3.

I had no trouble working them on five bands--but part of it was being on vacation in Block Island, so I missed the really big pileups.
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »

I can't seem to get their log page to work. I get this message

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Club Log doesn't have the data (didn't last night anyway) I sent off for the OQRS so hopefully they have me in their logs.

According to the 3D2C log you have two Qso's on 40 and 12m CW.

73 Dragan K0AP

Thank you Dragan, I wonder why I can not access that page. Thank you for the help and those are the two frequencies I have them in my logs. Rare to find a pirate but they can throw water on a candle for sure. Nice to know all's well.

Gary KA1J
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:29 AM »

they did have some signal strength problems as compared to other operations to nearby entities who went the SVDA route.

Signals were pretty good here in Colorado on all bands.  Yes, I know...what a difference a thousand or 1500 miles makes.  I understand your frustration with 160m where timing is everything.  I was lucky that they decided to show on 160 (and 80 too, actually) just before my sunrise.  I really didn't have any greyline enhancement, but at least it was still dark here.

10m was another thing altogether.  The signals were all over the place, depending on the A and K indexes.  The day I worked them on 10 they were extremely weak, but the excellent operator picked out my call OK.  Those that say you don't need an amp on 10 don't operate there enough!  That may be true when conditions are good, but sometimes you need to just brute force it through.  By contrast, on the previous day the 10m RTTY signal was S9.  Interestingly enough the day I worked them on 20m, of all bands, they were right down in the mud.  Again, disturbed conditions.  And it apparently wasn't just me, as they were calling repeated CQs and having trouble starting a run.

Of all my QSOs, I needed the amp on 160, 80, 20 and 10.  They were worked easily with 100w on all other frequencies.  I even made a QRP QSO on 17m.  They were crushingly loud on 30m, S9 +20 db.  All in all, I thought it was a great effort and I had no problem working them anywhere I wanted.

Just for the record, my antennas are pretty simple; a 3L tribander for 10-15-20 @ 70', a 3L tribander for 12-17-30 @ 60' and a HyGain HyTower for 40-80-160.  On 160, the HyTower is configured as a trapped inverted L.  No special RX antennas on 160.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:39:35 AM by K0RS » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »

Decent sig on 10 meters CW yesterday, but just couldn't get through.....Not really interested in killing myself for it, as I got Conway back in 01, albeit only on 20m SSB, but it would be nice to get another band just for shits and giggles.....How long are they there for?........

V
KA3NRX

Well, I did manage to eek out a 10 cw qso with them for my shit and giggle qso....Could not really pursue any further as I have been nursing a swollen knee....but I was happy to get another Conway Reefer (hmm sounds like a good name for a band..."Warren Buffett and the Conway Reefer Band...Cha Ching!.. Grin..).....Off to the OQRS....Thanks for being there....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:26:41 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »

Speaking of OQRS,

Payment To

WD5COV@vtc.ne

This recipient is not yet registered. PayPal will send an email to the recipient explaining how to complete your transaction.

Not sure what the significance of this is. Perhaps just better to send the request to Serbia?

Never mind. I see what I did.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:35:09 AM by AB8MA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: