Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notebook Antenna  (Read 1486 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:31:42 AM »

Has anybody tried this antenna?  http://www.n5ese.com/notebk_ant.htm

I would like to try it, but I am disabled and it is hard to build or solder stuff.

Randy ka4nma
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:01:38 AM »

No, but in reading through the page, the author has pointed out the pros and cons of such antennas, saying that short antennas just aren't as efficient.

I see this as a definite 'travel' type antenna and if you don't travel, I would think that a more efficient antenna (longer, bigger) would be better than this, since this is meant as a fix just to get on the air from hotel rooms, vacation retreats, etc.
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

Hi Randy!

I understand the problem.
What are you looking for? An indoor antenna for your home, or an indoor travel antenna?

If you are looking for an indoor antenna for your home that will be semi-permanent, a simple wire at the upper ceiling corner going from room to room may work for you as a dipole or end fed wire, when used with a tuner.

The only concern would be RF radiation exposure.
I would only use it if I was the only occupant in the structure, and then, only at low power levels.

If you are doing a travel antenna, and are staying in multilevel structures on the upper floors, then a wire spooled out a window may work better!

Again, RF exposure concerns, so keep the power low!
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »

It would be for both - indoor use and travel.  I plan on keeping the power low.  I am disabled and am looking for dual use antenna.  I know it will not be the best.  It would be nice if I could find somebody to build me an antenna such as this for sale cheap or to donate.  At some point, I would like to erect an indoor loop antenna to my SGC tuner.  But I do not have a ladder, and am unstable standing on chairs or ladders.  I also have hand and vision problems, which makes building things hard.
Randy ka4nma
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »

A simple dipole would probably be more practical and be more efficient.  they can also be strung up or laid on things in different configurations.  You don't have to solder stuff to try it out.

Good Luck   K5KNE
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:00:24 PM »

What I find concerning is that making contacts with such a small antenna is possible, but challenging.  Making contacts on indoor antennas of any kind is also challenging.  So what you have here is challenging squared.  A dipole would be more efficient and simpler to build, so if I *had* to have an indoor antenna I'd pick one that improved my chances of making contact, not diminished them.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: