Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FLORIDA LAW  (Read 19309 times)
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »

Well, I think pretty much everything has been discussed on this topic...point/counterpoint, serious remarks, silly remarks, remarks that have nothing to do with the original post, etc.

Let's see what happens to this ARRL proposal this time around. I'm out!  Smiley

73 all, fun discussion,     Bob  K7JQ
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »

"
Perhaps, instead of choosing to live in a particular area where the mantra of "government is bad" prevails, and HOA's abound; you should choose to live in an area where that is not the case. "

Sometime having to earn a living and support a family along with ones job training have a large bearing on just where one can choose to live. If you are independently wealthy, choices are no problem. If on the other hand you have to work consistantly to proviede for you and your family then choice of where to live is somewhat constrained.

Let's see. My choices are live in an area where I can reasonably expect to find work or go on assistance. Live close enough to my work that my daily fuel consumption doesn't consume a significant portion of my income, or be in circumstances similar to not working with none of the benefits. Live in an area where the distance, roads, and traffic allow a reasonable commute time, or don't have time left for anything but work and commute with just a little time left over to eat, sleep, and so on. Once all these choices have been made, I may or may not have the luxury of choosing whether or not to live in an antenna restricted zone.

Reasonable accomodation is not possible in the present social and govermental contexts as it is nearly impossible to find "reasonable" people. "Being reasonable" like "compromise" is now code speak for do it my way or else. Look at our leadership examples.

So I fear that even if Resonable Accomodation is mandated, there will be a bumpy road on the way to reason.

KF7CG

Sounds like you need to move to a new region, where HOA's are not common.  I can suggest a list of properties for you, if you like.  Even a real estate agent who can find such a property for you.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2014, 04:55:37 AM »

Reasonable travel time is simply your opinion. I have relatives in South Dakota that have great jobs, and yet think nothing of driving 100 miles to go out for supper. And their commute is about 50 miles to work. They don't complain at all. I have another relative that thinks 5 mile commutes are too much. So it is simply opinion.

Or the third option. I am able to do most of my work remotely. The few times I need to go into the factory is a 60 mile commute. Which is once or twice a month.

And as I have said many times, I did the legwork to put this all together. Besides being able to put up great antennas, I have much less noise that big cities have (audio and RF). My kids can play in the yard. Etc.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »

I lived in Sarasota, Florida for 8 years and never had any problem with an HOA. Why?....because I was not so stupid as to move into one in the first place. There are plenty of areas around where you can buy a home that have no HOA restrictions.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »

Yes, everyone is not as "brilliant" as you.  Wink
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »

I lived in Sarasota, Florida for 8 years and never had any problem with an HOA. Why?....because I was not so stupid as to move into one in the first place. There are plenty of areas around where you can buy a home that have no HOA restrictions.

Look who crawled out of the woodwork...another opinionated jerk spouting an idiotic comment that provides nothing constructive. You don't think we know there are places without HOAs? What do you want...a "smart" medal? Good for you...do you feel better now? Go troll somewhere else.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

Over the years, Florida HOAs have received a boat load of negative publicity for such things as denying the right to display the Stars and Stripes.  Most has been deserved.  Where I used to reside in FL, the developer banned all antennas, in spite of the fact that the OTARD regulation was already codified before he even drafted the covenants for our subdivision in 1999.  Even in his latest developments being sold off now, he still uses the same, illegal, total antenna prohibition language in their covenants.

As I’ve said before, if the present Bill becomes law, it won’t solve the problem even if the FCC takes the extra step of codifying what they consider as a reasonable antenna, in terms of maximum size, height, etc.  Unless and until penalties are applied to developers who continue to file and record such rife, it will amount to “business as usual” intimidation of homeowners.  Yes, if you don’t like them, move out of town since he’s developed most of the subdivisions and he’s a former state senator, so he has all of the politicians in his hip pocket.

Even under present PRB-1 application, we are forced to litigate, e.g. hire a lawyer and pay dearly to appeal denials by local governments.  And, even if the ham prevails in court, he or she has probably paid a very high price for getting a reasonable antenna permitted.

At least with OTARD, the FCC takes on the role of prosecutor, and will issue Declaratory Rulings, if an HOA attempts to fine a homeowner or otherwise totally prohibit a TV or small satellite antenna installation.  This “service” costs the appellant nothing more than a phone call or a postage stamp.  Not the tens of thousands hams have to spend for legal representation to apply PRB-1 as it is now, since there is no such FCC procedure codified for amateur radio.

Sorry, but although the Bill sounds like a nice idea, will this third attempt finally make it to a vote?  Doubtful.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

Yep.  And I lived in Bradenton, right next door.  There were more than a few homes around that were 50 or more years old and didn't have covenants.  And many had a lot of six legged critters.  Some things are more important than a hobby.

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:11 AM »

I lived in Florida for 35 years 11 of it owning my own home. No problem with antenna prohibitting CC&Rs or HOAs even in most of the brand new construction! That aint the case now. And I am not there!

The Anti-antenna prohibition has become an epidemic with only small and ever shrinking areas of resistance.

KF7CG
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »

I love living in a VERY RURAL community.Antennas everywhere here.I have ONLY 10 antennas up at home for now & many are on my tower & others are on mast pipes!  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: