Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hidden & Attic antennas...  (Read 25303 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 03:24:10 AM »

Remember to run QRP! When the RFI happens, the witch hunt begins!

No callsign license plate, no jackets with Amateur Radio patches or words, no strange antennas on car.

KF7CG
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 06:01:41 AM »

Remember the pole lamp? popular in the 60's.
OK, they used to make a CB antenna that looked just like it.
It was called a helix dipole.  Essentially it looked like a 'spring' inside the pole, only with compressed sections at either end, I assume to help tune it at manufacture.  I can't remember if it was center fed or tap fed at one end at a coil.  RS sold one in the 70s, about $40 if I remember right.  Worked better than the back of set CB antennas.  MAYBE a bit better than a regular 40" or so auto mag mount on top of your fridge, but most people couldn't fit a mag mount on top of their fridge, except for those little pieces of junk flexible ones. 

The was a ham antenna built on a single piece of PCV back then.  I forget who and what it was called, but I seem to remember it wasn't a dipole.  It had to be mounted over a ground plane or radials of some kind.  I guess the intent was to stand this in a room with radials under the carpet.  The anenna was just over 6 feet tall and it looked like a coil on a 2" or less PCV pipe.  It had multiple 'sections'.  That is, there was about an inch or so of tight wound, then about 6 or 8 inches of loose, maybe 1 turn per inch, then another inch of close wound, then another 8 inches of loose, and so on.  I saw the thing, but never got to use it..
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: