Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detroit a Ham Radio Utopia?  (Read 23166 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »

http://reason.com/archives/2013/12/24/anarchy-in-detroit?

"Anything goes" neighborhoods? Sounds perfect... until someone decides towers are ugly.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

Me thinks some people are watching too much of the Robocop franchise!   Cheesy
KG4YBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:36:54 AM »

No matter what that city does they can keep it. I work on the cargo ships up there and would have to open the engine room doors as we passed the ambassador bridge so we could get mail from the mail boat (J.W. Westcott). I always worried about getting shot especially at night when you would open the door and be backlit by the engine room lighting. Thankfully the boat I am on now stays pretty much on lake Michigan and doesn't pass through Detroit.

Karl
KG4YBH
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 05:03:26 AM »

Thankfully there are still plenty of older neighborhoods that do not care what you do with your property. And they are not rundown neighborhoods. People take care of their yards and maintain the house. Same as the Communist (HOA) neighborhoods.
UNfortunatley it's the newer 'hoods that want several layers of protection from Ham ops and people who want to paint the front door some weird color.
Fred
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »

I lived there for a couple of years during post-high school MoTech vocational training. It will always be the Motor City to me and I will always have a certain degree of homesickness for it.
 Life goes up and down with the economy and the 'rust belt' issue has affected most Northeastern cities to a degree. I still visit friends there when I can.
 A bankruptcy will let them reorganize things, something that has needed to be done for a long time. Sometimes things get worse before they get better.
 There are good people everywhere just as there are places that you don't go at night or alone (like any other major city). I never feared for my life there. You read the horror stories in the papers, but I felt safe and minded my own business.
 It is the home of the International Auto Show. There was a Grand Prix there this past summer. There are still fine museums, parks, music and restaurants. The area still has history, arts and culture.
 They have fallen on hard times and I fear that many other metropolitan areas will fall in the coming years. Medium-sized cities are decaying as well.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »

No matter what that city does they can keep it. I work on the cargo ships up there and would have to open the engine room doors as we passed the ambassador bridge so we could get mail from the mail boat (J.W. Westcott). I always worried about getting shot especially at night when you would open the door and be backlit by the engine room lighting. Thankfully the boat I am on now stays pretty much on lake Michigan and doesn't pass through Detroit.

Karl
KG4YBH
  Your worry was wasted . We didn't even know you were on the boat till just now .  Better watch out when you go to Chicago however  Wink .
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »

We moved from a Gangridden City to the Ozarks over ten years ago, now when we hear gun shots the neighbors that are a half mile away are either sighting in their rifles , killing a varmit that is eating their chickens ,or putting food in the Freezer- and PITA will never show up here except to stop an old tradition of Turkey Trott -dropping Turkeys from a low flying plane to kids who use them for Dinner at Thanksgiving ! hihi. I hear frogs giving chorus now - no Gang shooting innocents . No Antenna Restrictions unless it is so high the FAA will get on your case , hihi. My Dogs do not chase cars, they stay and protect , property TAX on 5.5 acres- less than 400. dollars a year, fresh air , clean water ,no Smog, safe clean place for Children to be raised - a Ham's Dream - set up a Rhombic ! Yes we are having too much fun, growing good food, making Cheese from our Two Dairy Cows and enjoying our Hobbies,  all you have to do is follow your dreams . 73s and 2s, AJ
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

This is the first time I've heard with words Detroit and Utopia used in the same sentence.

P.S. In the immortal words of T-Baby,  it's so cold in the D.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »

Hello.

Detroit is having issues right now, to say the least!
You can BUY the old Motor City Radio station, home of Motown.
Yes, you can buy the 300 foot tower with both AM and FM antennas, transmitters, studios, the whole bit!
But, once you had it, what would you do with it?
Miles away from anything normal, unless you call a bunch of roving punks normal.
The reason the station went broke was no local business.
What, 'Mel's street drug sales'?
Try finding a grocer anywhere near.
Water and power are in limited supply in some areas.
Streetlights are frequently broken.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »

Sounds like the same problems as any big city in certain neighborhoods. No earthshattering news here.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:00:55 AM »

Sounds like the same problems as any big city in certain neighborhoods. No earthshattering news here.
You are spot on .
    Seems others are in a big rush to reveal their ignorance however . Roll Eyes
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 04:13:46 AM »

Hello.

True, big cities are having issues right now.
But, the "White flight" of the 60's and 70's might be of advantage.
There can be downsides to it as well, such as crime.
But, bringing it all out in the open is a good idea.
Detroit is beginning to recover, and things like community gardens are making it happen.
I lived in downtown San Antonio before it "recovered", and could kick back and watch the muggings and rapes.
Now, citizens are armed, street punks are getting shot, and it is much safer.
The rules have changed.
Watching someone getting popped is not pretty, but that is one less street punk.
HOA and other groups want a "Nice" and safe community, not to have to deal with shooting of "Kids".
The spikes being installed to prevent the homeless from sleeping?
Well, that is an ugly solution, but it is a solution.
Anyhow, that is the reality, and it is not pretty.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »

Detroit is the Mosul, Faluja, or Sadr City of America.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

You can BUY the old Motor City Radio station, home of Motown.
Yes, you can buy the 300 foot tower with both AM and FM antennas, transmitters, studios, the whole bit!
But, once you had it, what would you do with it?

Well, one could get on 160 meters real easy with a tower like that.   Grin
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 07:47:46 AM »

If you don't think Detroit has some special problems, watch the Movie "Burn". If you watch it, a good portion of the proceeds go toward purchasing equipment for the firefighters of Detroit.

Denis Leary's Documentary "Burn"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:52:00 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: