Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am ready to give up  (Read 5478 times)
W9HQE

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »

I have had a bad 3 years but it is getting to the end. I have had to sell my radios and other stuff to make ends meet then I lost my job got a part time job but it did not meet even the smallest part of what my family needs then we lost our house and had to move in with my daughter which is more of a pain. I am left with one hf radio which I cannot put up a antenna to ( we are in a rental) I am ready to sell everything and get out of a hobby I love dearly. I guess I am asking is anybody other than me in this boat and should I go on and sell everything hoping I can get back on my feet and buy everything again or am I kidding myself just get out of the hobby or keep everything hoping it gets better. Thanks for letting me vent.
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »

Hey, you have an HF rig which is more than some can say. Why can't ya put an antenna up? Rental home? What about putting up a loop or a ground mounted vertical? Heck, a dipole mounted along a fence will get your signal out.... I'm in a location where i cant put an antenna up at the moment because I have meniere's disease and get super dizzy trying to climb pretty much anything..... but I have a 40 meter dipole that I slingshotted (Not a word, I know..lol) the apex of on the roof, and tied it up in a vee beam pattern and it STILL works good on 40.  I wish I had some people who could climb (and a ladder would help lol) but until I can find someone I will have to make due.

What is the situation like at your house that you cant do a stealth antenna?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »

Assuming you are in an area where scoring a halfway decent job is a possibility and you're making a good effort to find one... It's only a matter of time before you'll be able to turn things around. And that's the point. It's all about time.

Might happen soon, might happen later, do your best to make it happen by November lest even the seasonal crap jobs be gone, but whatever you can do to keep yourself going between now and then should be your first priority. Without an antenna the radio does you little good. Better you should sell the radio and use that money to give yourself more options and a little extra time.

Besides... There's no guarantee when you'll get back on your feet, but there will be new and used radios available when that happens. And maybe better than what you have now.  Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
W9HQE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »

Yea I agree I could sell and buy later which would give me some breathing room. As far as putting up a die pole or for that matter any kind of antenna its out the land lord will not even let me put up a mast not attached to the house for a 2 meter /70cm antenna i have. Guess I will just sell and hope for the best heck I might even keep the HT I have to lessen the blow of not being in the hobby at all Sad
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:51:58 PM »

Sell the HF base rig and buy a used HF mobile. For years I operated this way until I bought a regular home and started all over again.

Find a club station or join a computer remote station group.

Join an emergency support group that has a HF station.

Go QRP and operate from parks, it is a lot of fun.

Your lack of a Big Dog station can be made up by the guy at the other end. I find many folks using 5 watts on SSB and for what they lack in a station I can make up on my end. Never give up.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »

Really sorry to hear about your situation Michael. But you aren't alone as many of us are suffering under this economy.

If your rig has any significant value perhaps it's time to sell it. You can always get another or better one later.

But can you stay in the hobby? Sure you can. Especially if you know or are willing to learn CW.

Learning CW will take you a fair amount of time and you don't need a transceiver. You can use a computer or even a phone for practice and a cheap SW radio to listen.

Once you know the code, you can build a nice QRP radio for around $100 or less. Ten tec has some nice kits. Building is fun and keeps you active in the hobby even if you aren't transmitting. Add a few more bucks for wire and you can play radio in the park or make a stealth antenna for your QTH.

Another thing to try is get an HT, build a hand held tape measure yagi and work satellites. Or go fox hunting.

Also, as far as HF antennas, do you have a car? Perhaps you can put on a ham stick type antenna on it and run the coax into the house to your HF radio? The you'd be W9HQE/SM (staionary mobile).

GL
Ray KJ6AMF
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »

I'm sorry to hear of your hard times.  Do what you must to take care of your family.

Even if you have no radios, there is no reason to "get out of the hobby".  I consider ham radio to be a life long hobby.  More than a few times I have gone several years without any on air activity due to school, work, etc.  For the past twelve years I have lived in a townhouse with no external antennas.

Keep up your license, follow the online boards.  Maybe join the local club and keep an eye out for free or low cost gear.

When fortunes improve you can rebuild your station.

73, Bill
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »

HQE:  I also am very sorry to hear of your bad time for the past 3 years.  The country is in a hellova shape, no doubt!

This might sound a bit selfish or self centered but since you've "burned down" you assets to the point where you have just a transceiver left and are still in a downward spiral, keep the radio!

The reason is that selling the radio isn't really going to give you much if any more breathing room.  If you've worked hard enough to get a ham ticket and accumulate gear, then you have a well enough interest in ham radio not to give it all up "until later." 

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that a man has to have something to fall back on to keep from losing his mind!  A man backed into a corner can't think right.  You have to have something that takes you away from your problems, even just a little.

While I have never been in the same position you are, I have been in the position where I felt I couldn't take the job pressure anymore.  I was simply overwhelmed.  The one thing that kept me going wasn't family or anything that really mattered, it was that I had this hobby where I could "hide" for just an hour or so a day.  I found in that hour that I could really relax and think.

This is my two cents...... and probably all it's worth.  Good luck.

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »

HQE:  I also am very sorry to hear of your bad time for the past 3 years.  The country is in a hellova shape, no doubt!

This might sound a bit selfish or self centered but since you've "burned down" you assets to the point where you have just a transceiver left and are still in a downward spiral, keep the radio!

The reason is that selling the radio isn't really going to give you much if any more breathing room.  If you've worked hard enough to get a ham ticket and accumulate gear, then you have a well enough interest in ham radio not to give it all up "until later."  

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that a man has to have something to fall back on to keep from losing his mind!  A man backed into a corner can't think right.  You have to have something that takes you away from your problems, even just a little.

While I have never been in the same position you are, I have been in the position where I felt I couldn't take the job pressure anymore.  I was simply overwhelmed.  The one thing that kept me going wasn't family or anything that really mattered, it was that I had this hobby where I could "hide" for just an hour or so a day.  I found in that hour that I could really relax and think.

This is my two cents...... and probably all it's worth.  Good luck.

What an inspirational post!
I totally agree, and it is very good advice in these tough times.
Having an activity which can take your mind off other things is invaluable for setting your mind straight.
Good luck, and god bless.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:29:20 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »

You can keep or sell the radio, as you can always get another one  later.  the important is to always keep your license current, and stay in touch with the hobby, ( read ham magazines at the local library etc) and perhaps join a local club.  there is always an option.  and things will get better, Been there, done that, got the TEE shirt.
W9HQE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »

Thanks for all the advice The HF I have is like new (Used less than 4 hours) yaesu ft857d a couple mfj tuners one is a auto tuner a yaesu vx5r and a astron rs 35m. O and a bencher key not a lot but its all I have left if I got 1000.00 for everything it would take a HUGE load off us do you all think this is possible?
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

Really getting a job in these times it is all about making some connections with the right people. I assume you still live in the same general area as your FCC license and I would suspect that is an area where jobs just are not going to open up. You probably have some marketable skills even in the communications arena. You may have to move outside of your "comfort zone" and really, you are unecumbered by an underwater mortgage so in a way you are more flexible in what you could do.

Check your messages on this forum, I have something that may interest you.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:38:34 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Thanks for all the advice The HF I have is like new (Used less than 4 hours) yaesu ft857d a couple mfj tuners one is a auto tuner a yaesu vx5r and a astron rs 35m. O and a bencher key not a lot but its all I have left if I got 1000.00 for everything it would take a HUGE load off us do you all think this is possible?

Yes, I do.  That's reasonable.  But I hope you don't have to do this.

All our best wishes are with you.
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »

Been there, done that, not fun . Was 30 + years ago. Gut wrenching. Sold every thing but one old xcvr. Rigged end fed wire just for spite. Worked more DX & counties then any time since. I think radio helped me keep going. KC7YE
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »

Hi.

Condolences...... hang in there.....you are not alone in these tough times.

I can certainly understand how the money might help, and see your need. On the other hand, ham radio can be a great escape and a good way to
keep some sanity in tough times. The cold fact is that this is a hobby and you CAN get back into it when things get better. DON'T let your license
expire !!! There are a TON of GOOD radios out there on the used market so that down the road you could get back into the hobby for a modest amount.

Best wishes.  K0ZN
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: