Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am ready to give up  (Read 4799 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »

I have had a bad 3 years but it is getting to the end. I have had to sell my radios and other stuff to make ends meet then I lost my job got a part time job but it did not meet even the smallest part of what my family needs then we lost our house and had to move in with my daughter which is more of a pain. I am left with one hf radio which I cannot put up a antenna to ( we are in a rental) I am ready to sell everything and get out of a hobby I love dearly. I guess I am asking is anybody other than me in this boat and should I go on and sell everything hoping I can get back on my feet and buy everything again or am I kidding myself just get out of the hobby or keep everything hoping it gets better. Thanks for letting me vent.

Rough is all relative.

When I started out in radio, I lived in a house with dirt floor and a tar paper outside. Our house was actually built partly from wood reclaimed from pallets at a local tomato cannery. We often did not have running water as our well was not deep enough, and I would go days without more than bread and milk. I had no trees for antennas, and only a very small lot. We had no television most of the time, although we did have a telephone thanks to the same program today that allows free cell phones to poor people. It is good we had that phone, because my father had a constant series of strokes, seizures, and high blood pressure nose bleeds.

Still, with all that drama, I was able to get on the air and operate. I actually never even considered I had bad luck, or I was less than fortunate in life.

While I don't wish job or home loss on anyone, I'm sure you can find a way to do what is necessary to be happy. Bad times are not forever.

73 Tom
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

If I had no possibility of putting up a HF antenna in the near future I would sell it off.

Instead of letting the radio go bad while sitting in a closet for an unknown period of time, Use the proceeds to get a FT-857/D that could be mounted in a mobile (Or 897 if vehicle space permits)...

Perhaps a roll up J-pole near a window where you could still talk on 2m FM/USB on the 857/897 until the opportunity came along for a better antenna arrangement......

Some radio time is always better than no radio time......

I have been wanting to upgrade my radio, But money is tight. I know the feeling.
Became deathly ill in mid 07, doctors released me in early-mid 08. Still wasn't really ready to go back to work But that was ok since the security company I worked for for 9 years released me 4 months before the doctors did.

Couldn't find a job I could handle, So I went back to school  for electronics (ITT) then had to drop out with 3 quarters left to go to get my associates to take care of my wife.

She is now bed ridden, and on Dialysis. The Transplant doctors won't consider her as a candidate because she is not mobile enough. The orthopedic surgeons won't consider her because she is not on the transplant list.

She is basically screwed coming and going. All the doctors said they would do now is to try to keep her comfortable till she passes.

We are barely living on her disability while raising her 8 year old grandson.
No extra money for anything much less for the radio. Clothes getting worn out, cant really even afford to keep up my car.

By the time I can try to get back into the workforce, I will have been out for so long that the prospects will be pretty slim. Employers don't like long gaps in work history.
Everybody says things are only going to get worse for several more years.
I'm surprised that there hasn't been reports of "Tent cities" popping up like during the great depression.
Hang in there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:33:37 AM by KD8DEY » Logged
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:13:04 PM »

I have had a bad 3 years but it is getting to the end. I have had to sell my radios and other stuff to make ends meet then I lost my job got a part time job but it did not meet even the smallest part of what my family needs then we lost our house and had to move in with my daughter which is more of a pain. I am left with one hf radio which I cannot put up a antenna to ( we are in a rental) I am ready to sell everything and get out of a hobby I love dearly. I guess I am asking is anybody other than me in this boat and should I go on and sell everything hoping I can get back on my feet and buy everything again or am I kidding myself just get out of the hobby or keep everything hoping it gets better. Thanks for letting me vent.
Michael Sir! The path of great men who has walked among us are usually those that has faced adversities.
Two of those men comes readily to mind.
Namely
1) Abe Lincoln
2) Colonel Sanders
At age 65, Harland (Colonel) Sanders uses his first Social Security check of  $105.00 to pay off owed debts.
This left him virtually broke.
You know (as Paul Harvey would say) "The Rest of the Story"
Keep your chin up my friend!
I can assure you that " As GOD makes little green Apples" The SUN will come out Tomorrow!

"While I take inspiration from the past, like most Americans, I live for the future."  - Ronald Reagan.

(((73))) Milverton.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »

Became deathly ill in mid 07, doctors released me in early-mid 08. Still wasn't really ready to go back to work But that was ok since the security company I worked for for 9 years released me 4 months before the doctors did.

Couldn't find a job I could handle, So I went back to school  for electronics (ITT) then had to drop out with 3 quarters left to go to get my associates to take care of my wife.

She is now bed ridden, and on Dialysis. The Transplant doctors won't consider her as a candidate because she is not mobile enough. The orthopedic surgeons won't consider her because she is not on the transplant list.

She is basically screwed coming and going. All the doctors said they would do now is to try to keep her comfortable till she passes.

We are barely living on her disability while raising her 8 year old grandson.
No extra money for anything much less for the radio. Clothes getting worn out, cant really even afford to keep up my car.

By the time I can try to get back into the workforce, I will have been out for so long that the prospects will be pretty slim. Employers don't like long gaps in work history.
Everybody says things are only going to get worse for several more years.
I'm surprised that there hasn't been reports of "Tent cities" popping up like during the great depression.
Hang in there.

I feel for everyone that used to be middle class in this country, especially when they are ill.

We are the only advanced nation in the world  that bankrupts working homeowners for medical care, while we pay medical for illegal aliens and people who have never worked that can work.

My medical insurance is $1000 a month for a PPO. I expect if I ever get sick I will lose everything I worked for, or die. I can't wait until I get a $2000 a year voucher to buy $12K worth of medical insurance, while people in Cuba get free medical.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »

I am so glad I live in Canada after reading some of the posts in this thread. Plus I am glad I spent 28 years inside an auto assembly plant. At least I have a good pension and benefits now that I am retired.

I feel sorry for a lot of people in United States. Your government has let you down.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »

At least I have a good pension and benefits now that I am retired.

One of the problems here, and in Canuckistan by extension, is that far too much money was invested in shaky real estate loans the original lender had no intention of carrying to term. Money speculators routinely bundled weak loans into packages they could sell at a percentage of face value well above their actual value to banks looking for market share. When the house of cards collapsed it took both "real" banks and investment houses down the toilet including some big names like Lehman Brothers and Bear-Stearns. On one hand some of the smart boys trading derivatives got what they deserved, on the other there were literally tens of millions of innocent investors who got the short end of the stick because of them.

Point being it wasn't exactly the government that let us down. The low tax, no regulation crowd certainly enabled the near collapse of the banking and investment industries though lax regulation and financial cross-pollination. There was a time when an investment house sold risk and a bank sold security. Today it's a crap shoot either way. Ultimately it was greed and predatory capitalism that got out of hand with money that should have been reserved for a safe return. I have no problem with someone making a living through a return on investment, but when it's sold dirty at the expense of widows, orphans and the disabled there is a moral component to be considered.

Be glad your pension is safe for now, because this roller coaster ride isn't over and all car companies are global players.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »

how about operating our of  your car in the driveway?

run a short extension cord out to the car and
use mobile home built antenna.

Are there any parks close to the house?

73 james

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: