Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pleasant surprise  (Read 2969 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »

I've mentioned that I've been playing with QRP for the last couple of months--the first time I've tried QRP in many years of playing on HF.  Been having a world of fun, using an 817 and homebrewed paddles from my back yard.   Tonight I got home from work, took the radio and Boudreaux the DX dog and a beer out in the yard; heard HK2DX on 10 meters as I turned the radio on, calling CQ.  I gave him a shout even before I settled into my lawn chair.  By the time the brief QSO was over (anybody who has been on high-band CW recently knows what's coming), I realized I had worked VK2DX again--a great operator who often has a big signal into the US.  Smiley  I've worked him several times before, but this was the first time I've worked VK on 5 watts using a flashlight battery, while sitting in a lawn chair in my garden.  Smiley  Man, this is FUN!  Smiley
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »

That's freakin awesome!

10 meters was wide open today to the mid east from the east coast. Nice job to south pacific!

What were you using for an antenna?

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »

A 1990s Cushcraft 3-element yagi on an 8' boom, mounted on a handcart and fiberglass poles only 8' above the ground.  Wink  Definitely an IMPROVISED antenna.   When 10 is open, it's a great QRP band!   I'm on the east coast (central NC) and I've worked KH6 and a good handful of European stations with that low yagi and 5 watts.  And a lot more countries with a doublet on other bands.

I've got to say, I finally see what you QRP diehards have been saying all along, about QRP.  Smiley  Working the other side of the world, with a lantern battery and 5 watts, while sitting in a lawnchair in my garden, is just ALL kinds of FUN! Smiley
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:03:15 AM »

A 1990s Cushcraft 3-element yagi on an 8' boom, mounted on a handcart and fiberglass poles only 8' above the ground.  Wink  Definitely an IMPROVISED antenna.   When 10 is open, it's a great QRP band!   I'm on the east coast (central NC) and I've worked KH6 and a good handful of European stations with that low yagi and 5 watts.  And a lot more countries with a doublet on other bands.

I've got to say, I finally see what you QRP diehards have been saying all along, about QRP.  Smiley  Working the other side of the world, with a lantern battery and 5 watts, while sitting in a lawnchair in my garden, is just ALL kinds of FUN! Smiley

LOL! There you go! It gets better with challenges you make yourself and with other portable devices that are just fun to install on the fly and in the middle of no where. Now you never have to leave the gear at home thinking that you'd have to run a 100 watts and drag around a power supply, or need 110v source.

Have fun and can't wait to hear about the next fantastic contacts.

73!
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »

to AC4RD.....Conrads on all that DX u-worked. Yep! Qrping is a real blast. Its very rewarding(to me at least)knowing you belong to a very select group who takes a different approach to establish/maintain 2 way communication. Indeed you have a nice antenna and has proven its abilities for dxing. Antennas....antennas....antennas....to me that's the most important part of any ham station whether it be Qrp or Qro. To N2RRA...always a nice sincere posting. Thanks for doing so.
Best regards to all and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU - A TRUE 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Antennas....antennas....antennas....to me that's the most important part of any ham station whether it be Qrp or Qro.

You nailed it, Don!
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »

to NU4B....Thanks for your posting. I appreciate it, honestly I do.

The older I get(I'm a mere 61 yrs young) I see that some of the basics that use to be taught to us by our Elmers have been maybe not deleted but in my opinion have taken a real "back-seat" to what's being taught to perspective hams today. The point I'm trying to make without causing an up-roar on this Qrp forum is I don't feel nor do I believe that enough is being taught or stressed about the importance of antennas at your station-whether it being fixed or trekking about.

Over the many, many years of being a ham I've seen more hams today buy their antennas whereas back when I started I was taught how to make the antennas I would be using at my station. Verticals had a radial field under-neath them not counter-poises and dipoles came in many configurations...then there were , lazy H's, Collinears, double Zepps, Slopers, 8JK beams, Broadsiders,others plus phasing and delay lines were common conversations at the local ham club meetings and the Qso's you'd have with other hams.

I wish there was more being taught to the new ham population that referenced not only the extreme importance of your antenna(s) for both transmit and receiving signals but also the dynamics of building antennas. Antennas are NOT hard to build and are one of the few venues we hams can still create if we choose to do so.

I think/believe that the Qrp population realizes that the antenna is pretty darned important when you use 5 watts or less no matter where your location might be at the time.

To me, it doesn't make any difference if you're using 5 watts or 100 watts or more IF YOUR ANTENNA IS NOT A DECENT PERFORMING ONE THAT'S NOT MADE PROPERLY BY WHOMEVER--USUALLY YOU DON'T GET OUT VERY WELL. ITS ALL IN THE ANTENNA AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. Yep!  Antennas....antennas....antennas.....

And I'm rambling....

Best regards to all on this forum and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU--you know the rest....a GREEN QRPer.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »

to AC4RD.....Conrads on all that DX u-worked. Yep! Qrping is a real blast. Its very rewarding(to me at least)knowing you belong to a very select group who takes a different approach to establish/maintain 2 way communication. Indeed you have a nice antenna and has proven its abilities for dxing. Antennas....antennas....antennas....to me that's the most important part of any ham station whether it be Qrp or Qro. To N2RRA...always a nice sincere posting. Thanks for doing so.
Best regards to all and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU - A TRUE 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION.

Thanks Don!  Grin

Just trying to keep it real and spread the brotherhood I believe in.

73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: