Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHOSE COAX TO BUY?  (Read 6023 times)
K7NSW

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »

Need 100 feet coax with connectors installed.  Have always heard Belden coax is the stuff to get.  DX Engineering sells stuff with their name on it and says it is the best quality.  Same with ABR.  True?  They do not disclose whose coax they are selling.  Maybe Chinese junk and they give it a good warranty and then they pray it will not fail any time soon?  Should I trust them or buy a spool of Belden and make my own?  I am putting up a GAP Voyager vertical for 160 -80 - 40- 20 meters QRO 1200 watts.  213 mil spec seems like the stuff I want.  Putting on PL-259 connectors.  What do you think?
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »

Quality has always been a concern with coax.

I bought a short jumper one time and it was too long, so I cut it in half.
When I stripped off the outer jacket, the braid was less than 50% shielding...
Needless to say, I removed the connectors and used good coax to build the jumper.

Belden, amphenol, and other makers give you specs in the catalogs for their coax.
The new stuff, like RG6 has a dual braid/foil shielding, but the impedance is 75 ohms.

I buy mine from Newark and Allied, as I can trust them to sell me what I ask for.

N8CMQ   Jeff
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

Need 100 feet coax with connectors installed.  Have always heard Belden coax is the stuff to get. 

In my station I have pretty much settled on Davis RF BuryFlex as the only RG-8/213 size coax I use. The only UHF connectors that I use are Amphenol 83-1SP connectors.  They make a number of connectors with similar numbers.  I only use the 83-1SP version.  If there are numbers or letters after the 83-1SP is is a different connector.

This one:
83-1SP

Not these:
83-1SP-15RFX
82-1SP-1050

George
K5TR
K5FEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:25:56 AM »

I've been very satisfied with supply from the Coaxman. Don't have shipping due to being close to his place.  Has a website: www.coaxman.com

Check him out, you won't be sorry.

Wayne
K5FEX
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »

I have used Buryflex. I think it is indestructible. The biggest problem I have with 9913 is that it does not liked to be stripped with the DX Engineering tool, nor the conventional coax stripper.
KK5J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:09 AM »

My comments FWIW. Im in 100% agreement with K5TR. I go with 83-1SP original Amphenol connectors. Might consider JSC for your RG213. If I recall, they are an American company with many years of manufacturing cable here. I really like Beldon cable, but they are always much higher in price than everyone else. I think its more to do with brand name recognition than quality. Times Microwave is good quality and manufactures more than just the LMR coax. You can find that and more at Davis RF.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »

They do not disclose whose coax they are selling.  Maybe Chinese junk and they give it a good warranty and then they pray it will not fail any time soon?

I went through this with a well-known amateur coax and wire supplier a while back.  I inquired about a specification for one of their coax cables and the upshot of it was they couldn't tell me, because their supplier (not named) wouldn't spec it.  In other words, if you want spec cable, buy it from someone that guarantees the performance and can supply you with a data sheet and a warranty.   Anyone can get house branded cable and quality can be all over the place, so in that case you'd want a vendor you can trust.  Or, go for the premium name brand stuff (Times, Belden, et al) and there shouldn't be any question at all. 

But you may be paying for performance you don't really need.  It works out for many applications, a few tenths of a dB or 90% vs 95% shield isn't going to matter at all and a cheaper cable will work just as well as a premium cable.  It's not like the cheaper stuff is really "bad", it's just not guaranteed to meet a tight spec.   So it really depends on the application what level of cable performance you really need. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »

I use Belden.  You may pay a little more for it, but considering you want it to perform and last for years - go first class.

Good Luck   Walter, K5KNE
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »

Yeah longevity and performance two different considerations.

I know the Amphenol does both and the Times or Beleden also.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »

Buy the good stuff once and be done with it.  I would suggest Belden 9913 from Joel @ RFConnection in Maryland.  Great vendor, prompt service, you can see him in person at many East Coast HFests.  He will provide terminated lengths or DIY supplies  - call him directly @ Joel -1-800-783-2666

Amphenol and Belden - once and it's done.

http://www.therfc.com/9913f.htm

The 9913 is great for the HF bands and will certainly handle full legal limit.
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »

I have ordered jumpers premade by ABR and was very satisfied with the materials and construction check out there ad here on Eham .  John Molenda kb2huk
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »

I buy  spools of coax and wire when I see a "deal" on them.  one time I got 2300 ' of lmr 400 delivered for $600, and I bought four 500 ' spools of RG8x at 87 bucks a spool delivered, and so on.

I get 1000' spools of 16 and 18 g Teflon coated  hook up wire for 5 bucks a spool when ever I see them, and such.

I even pick up weird stuff, like a thousand feet of rg 174 ( tiny stuff) for making point to point connections in side a  piece of gear, and rg 6, 58 and 59 which is often used to make coils and such.

I even got 1000 foot of rg59 receive only coax ( cable TV stuff, ) it makes great radials  for a vertical antenna. I also grab connectors when I find them cheep, ( I just got 122 N connectors for LMR 400 for $150 shipped.

so I always have something here to build a cable from and also can afford to give a 50 chunk to a new ham for his first outside antenna. 
G0VKT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

Need 100 feet coax with connectors installed

Why can't you fit your own connectors? We are Hams. We are supposed to do practical stuff.
Fitting connectors is so basic that if you can't do it then I wonder why you are on the air!

I do not mean any offence, but this is taking plug and play ham radio to another level!
At least if you fit them yourself you will have an appreciation of what good coax looks like.

Paul.
AD5ZC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »

Need 100 feet coax with connectors installed
Fitting connectors is so basic that if you can't do it then I wonder why you are on the air!

Having basic social skills in a social hobby is so basic one has to wonder why YOU are on the air!
KK5J

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

G0VKT
If you read the original post, he intends to prep his own cables. That is why we all added comments on the Amphenol connectors. He just wants to stretch his dollar and get the best value of cable.

However, you also make a very good point.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: