The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Interesting FM/AM Detector Using An NE567  (Read 7048 times)
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:49 AM »

I was looking for a way to calculate NE567 Tone decoder values and I came across this interesting circuit:

http://www.amalgamate2000.com/radio-hobbies/radio/ne567_tone_decoder_as_am_fm___de.htm

OK, so it only works at 455 KHz but with one IC and eight other components you get a NBFM detector and a synchronous AM detector and no inductors required. Useful if board space is limited.

Tanakasan
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

Very interesting:  I'll have to try it out.  Allows a simple switch between AM and FM
output for a receiver.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »

Nice
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:02:02 PM »

Cool stuff! Back in 1972, Signetics published a booklet on their then-new NE560 NE561 NE565 AND NE567. My memory is a bit dusty and I don't remember if the NE564 came later.  I think there was also an NE566 which only had the VCO of the NE565 brought out to pins.  It was a big brown book though not too thick with green print.  Maybe you can find a scan.  Mine is long gone.

This thread tripped a memory.  The book had a table comparing the NE56x series features.  Either the NE561 or the NE560 had a demodulated AM output that had been optimized for linearity.  Now unobtainable...sigh.  HOWEVER, it also indicated that the NE567 had both FM and AM but not optimized for linear demodulation.  I tinkered with it a bit back then, and also played with a sample and hold capturing the tiny positive peak window for best S/N.  The simple 567 as a tone decoder would lock onto the carrier rock solid and I used old style one shots with trimpots to set the capture window based on the PLL.

If you can find the old book, it will give you a lot of ideas that can be used with both the older PLLs and the newer ones.  Anyway, the 567 can be a lot of fun in the world below 500 KHz.

73 de Jack W8ADQ  Smiley
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »

I am getting too old...
When I first read this, I thought, 'How would a neon lamp do that?'...
I was thinking of the NE51 lamp and how I used them as voltage regulators and relaxation oscillators.
Then I read the article, but I googled NE-51 and did some reminiscing!
I believe you can do the same with a CD4046, and at higher frequencies.

N8CMQ   Jeff Retired...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: