The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is it safe to put energizer lithium batts. in the alkaline case.  (Read 2237 times)
AB3LW

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »

i have an alkaline shell for a uv5r. i just put 5 energizer ultimate lithium batts and the dummy cell in it and i have a pack voltage of 9.2v. the cells are much hotter than alkalines and they dont really drop much under load. the highest voltage the original batt puts out is around 8.35.

should i avoid using them and use alkalines?

add a second dummy battery?

or go ahead and chance it?

Huh
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »

Sounds fine. My FT-60 says 7.2 volts, yet a fully charged battery can be 8.2 volts. When I put 6 AAs in the alkaline tray it reads 9 volts.

Perfect radio to experiment with.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 01:01:57 PM by SOFAR » Logged
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »

On the other hand, your radio might keep going and going and going...just like the RKR thread in the Company Reviews section...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:53:58 AM »

I have used lithium batteries in hand held GPS units for many years in place of alkaline batteries with no issues and see no problems here. I gain about 2.5 to 3x run time and a lighter weight unit too. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »

I replaced the nicads in the battery pack of my Icom ICu2AT handheld with Li-ion's, and changed the charger connector to connect it to the LI-ion charger that went with the batteries.  Works well, holds a charge well.
AB3LW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »

well i got the alkaline pack in case of emergency or long power outage, and i guess its better to find out now rather than then if the radio can handle it.
according to theory the ultimate lithiums are 3000 mah cap. and i should get at least 30hrs of runtime.
ill let you all know what happens.

thanks for the help everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: