Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at 2nd hand Flex 5000A  (Read 9172 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:15 AM »

I did not go any further with the purchase of the rig, it eventually sold for around $3500NZ, but frankly a piece of gear at that price that has at the best mediocre cw performance is just not for me.  I would have really expected it to handle SSB and CW well or very well for that sort of dough.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »

The flex 5000A has in my opinion a fairly steep learning curve .  Things will much easier if you study a little on the flex reflectors and the Flex knowledge center .  This will be the best sounding transceiver you have ever listened to period !  I like to talk but I also like to listen to international broadcast , religious , news stations , Military traffic etc.  you will be amazed at the sound Quality and the panadapter is just fantastic .  I like mine better than my TT Orion II .  John kb2huk
AF4RK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »

I have a Flex 1500 driving a QRP linear to an Alpha 86. I built an external sidetone oscillator/open collector flex control output and works great on CW. However, having said that, there are no settings that will allow moderate speed CW with the internal keyer/sidetone. I use the Winkeyer with N1MM on another computer. The Flex 1500 has an inexpensive dual core Dell Laptop with nothing on it but Win 7 / PowerSDR. After 10 months of fiddling / learning, I have a pretty good setup on SSB/CW/Digital. Great radio for the money. Bought this because i can't afford a K3 hi! So far, NO PROBLEMS with IMD on PSK (not using the Alpha 86 on PSK  Cheesy Cheesy. Anyone wanting the schematic / pcb layout for the Flex CW controller, email me. I use the PCBExpress software.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: