Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable headphones?  (Read 7999 times)
KF7ATL

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »

I have been using some department store stereo headphones with my HF rig, and while they are better than the speaker and help me hear weak signals better (CW), they have a very broad frequency response and pass the high frequency white noise along with the signal. In addition, they are rather cheaply made and aren't very comfortable to wear for long operating sessions. I know that there are limited frequency response communication headphones available, but frankly I can't justify spending $100.00 or more on Heil or other expensive phones, no matter how good they are. My rig has Digital Noise Reduction which helps, but doesn't totally eliminate the noise. Are there some comfortable, limited response headphones out there that won't break the budget?

Garth, KF7ATL
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

JRC ST3 phones are excellent at about $70. Read the reviews of various headphones on eham. I use ST3s and like them very much.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »

No headphone, no matter what the price, will eliminate noise from the received signal.
If the DSP (With proper adjustment) isn't able to clean it up, then the headphone cannot do it for you.
An headphone is DESIGN to keep OUT the AMBIENT noise and reproduce what is fed to it inside the earpads.
Shure SRH 240 headphone are said to be relatively comfortable and cost $59.00

>>>  I know that there are limited frequency response communication headphones available  <<<

The Kenwood HS-5 Deluxe Headphone has a response of 150 - 4000hz  and cost $87.99 at AES
Heil Pro-Set -3 Headphone has a freq response of 10 Hz - 22,000 Hz ( 10 Hz - 22 kHz) cost $109.99 at AES

Bottom line.The Radio is that which has the QRN/QRM fighting devices and are call DSP in the newer model Radios. 
This is what you pay for when you buy the high dollar Radios.

(((73))) Milverton
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »

Sony mdr-7506. Very popular among hams. So long as you don't mind holding your mic. About $82 at amazon. Look at eham reviews.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »

I still use my Koss TD/65 headphones. I have tried several in the past and these sound the best for me on HF. They are 39 dollars at several places. 73 Jim W5JJG
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:19:07 AM »

If you can tolerate "in-ear" earbuds, you can buy Skullcandy "Ink'd 2" or "Ink'd" earbuds for around $30, and knockoffs for less.

They are full-range headphones, but they're very comfortable, and block a lot of room noise.  I've used them on several rigs, and like them.

You don't say what rig you're using.  My philosophy on "communications-grade" headphones is:

. . . It's the job of the IF filter to get rid of out-of-band noise.

. . . It's the job of the headphone to _accurately reproduce_ what it gets from the rig.

I don't like to confuse the two roles.

If your IF filter(s) is too wide, a narrow-band headphone _might_ help.  If you can use the DSP to narrow the passband, do it!

Charles
AE7UT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:14 AM »

Yamaha CM-500.
And you get a mic!
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-CM500-Headset-Built-Microphone/dp/B000BZ6ZX0

Stan AE7UT
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »

Just bought a nice pair of   'high school languale lab   mono  headphones"
for a   buck at  a hamfest..
comfortable  head band..  foam cushions.
good cable.. lmolded  plug.  (1/4 ")

why pay  more for  new stuff,  when  old stuff is just as good?Huh
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »

FYC:  External filter like the Idiom Press SCAF-1.  Go to their website and listen to the .wav files they provide. 
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »

I still use my Koss TD/65 headphones. I have tried several in the past and these sound the best for me on HF. They are 39 dollars at several places. 73 Jim W5JJG
I have a pair of Koss UR-40 I got from Rat Shack for about $50. They are very comfy(cover your ears completely) and sound great with plenty of bass. They come with a lifetime warrenty.
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »

Hello Garth!  You and I may have had this conversation before on the SKCC Sked page.  I use an inexpensive pair of wireless headphones.  No wire to get in the way.  Plus, you can go to the kitchen for a drink and never miss a thing!

73  Scott N3JJT
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »

I use a pair of Sony Noise Canceling headphones, model MDR-NC-6.

They do not cover my ears, but they are comfortable and work well. Picked them up at a ham fest, brand new, never used for $20.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »

Seventy dollars ! cheap ! If they make your ears sore just use the cheap ones, you won't hear any more morse signals with expensive head phones, The big problem of course is the lousy noisy band conditions, it wasn't always like this.

Mel G0GQK
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:48 AM »

Hi All,

Back in the mists of time, I used to be a Broadcast Engineer. So personally I don't understand the trend to use broadcast grade microphones & Pro Hi-Fi grade speakers and headphones (other than bragging rights !) for amateur radio purposes.

SSB audio and even AM broadcast quality never tops about 6KHz audio bandwidth. All the other stuff you hear with pro-grade headphones is noise and other residual artifacts from the RX audio chain.

Now there may be merit in the ergonomics, comfort and external noise rejection provided by more expensive headphones. But that's a separate issue.

For the most part, cheap headsets with a limited frequency response are better suited for communications purposes.

http://g8jnj.webs.com/Boom%20headset.pdf

My favourite headphones at the moment are actually Ex-miltary 'Clansman' headsets, which can be obtained cheaply and are easy to modify.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/g8jnj/Clansman%20Boom%20headset.pdf

I've also just bought a cheap ($7.50 reconditioned) Microsoft LifeChat LX-2000 lightweight boom headset for use with my KX3 and that combo works very well.

Just my 10cents (two pennyworth).

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:58:53 AM »

Here's another vote for Yamaha CM-500.  I believe you can get them without the boom mic for a small discount.  They are relatively comfortable and quite reasonably-priced. 
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: