Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spotting  (Read 2279 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »

Is it just me noticing this or have others seen similar.  Guys that spot DX on clusters and consistently use the wrong frequency.  DX is on 21.295 and they spot DX 21.305.  That is where they worked them, not the DX's frequency they are on.  According to what I was taught some time ago when Packet Clusters were the rage was DX 21.295 DXDX (QSX 305)...or similar.  Makes sense and works.  I know I have heard many individuals complaining and so forth over the DX when it is spotted incorrectly....

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »

If the spotted frequency is about right, then any semi-competent operator should be able to work out where the DX is going to be transmitting. If in doubt, look for the frequency where there are shouts of 'Spleeet! Spleet!' or on CW 'up up'. with various other epithets ranging from the impolite to the obscene. The DX will be under that pile.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »

According to what I was taught some time ago when Packet Clusters were the rage was DX 21.295 DXDX (QSX 305)...or similar.  Makes sense and works.  I know I have heard many individuals complaining and so forth over the DX when it is spotted incorrectly....

Maybe some people are incorrectly spotting on purpose because of the prevalence of unthinking operators who click on a spot, tuning their radio automatically to frequency, and start tuning their amp or transmitting without figuring out the pile Grin  I would much rather have them transmitting blindly up in the pile somewhere than right on the DX frequency.

Probably not really ... but I am never going to complain if people are "spotting wrong" in a way that makes it a little harder for people to find DX without engaging brain.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »

According to what I was taught some time ago when Packet Clusters were the rage was DX 21.295 DXDX (QSX 305)...or similar.  Makes sense and works.  I know I have heard many individuals complaining and so forth over the DX when it is spotted incorrectly....

Maybe some people are incorrectly spotting on purpose because of the prevalence of unthinking operators who click on a spot, tuning their radio automatically to frequency, and start tuning their amp or transmitting without figuring out the pile Grin  I would much rather have them transmitting blindly up in the pile somewhere than right on the DX frequency.

Probably not really ... but I am never going to complain if people are "spotting wrong" in a way that makes it a little harder for people to find DX without engaging brain.

Correct.  For a relatively experienced op, never a problem..but just don't understand how or why some folks spot consistently, in the wrong format on packet clusters....just odd...
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »

If you want everything exact, that's channelized. 

No thanks. 

If you can't find the guy by first listening around a bit, then you likely shouldn't be chasin' DX. 

Get a cellphone.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »

I've worked 280 entities for DXCC and never had to use "spotting".  I'm sure others have done that and more.  Never have been able to figure out why people think they have to rely on the Internet or a DX club repeater to find DX.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »

I use spotting as a sporadic accessory.   I pretty much know where a good Dxpedition will be, or operate on the bands.  That isn't rocket science, and neither is using the tools available correctly.  Some folks don't get it and I would rather they would stick to what they can do, and hopefully, do best....

Anyway, if you can't use telnet correctly, I recommend you have someone show you around....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: