Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: restrictions  (Read 2081 times)
W1JOP

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »

Hi

I live in an area where i have antenna restrictions. I would like to get on 10 meters SSB. I am looking for antenna suggestions for 10 meter Mobile antennas which would give me good results on SSB i have preference in a mobile antenna or a very low profile antenna

thanks

W1JOP
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »

John -

What is your specific fixed ration (HOA) situation?

Rental vs Owned?
Apartment, Condo, Townhouse, Home?
Radio shack on Upper floor or basement?

As far as 10 meter SSB, your Technician privledges gives you a nice 200 kHz segment (28.300 to 28.500 MHz) to work with.  Virtually any surplus CB Class D (27 MHz) antenna (mobile or fixed) can be shortened to properly cover 10 meters.
You can also construct a small AWG dipole antenna (5 meter total length) to be virtually invisible (camouflaged).

You also have the option of operating 10 meter mobile.  The solar cycle will provide a couple years enjoyable usage, before going back to normal propogation.

BTW, some CB antennas designs get immediate negative reactions from neighbors and those non-technical citizens that hate CBers.  Many HOA regulations came into being after the 1970s CB craze.  Keep that in mind for your installation.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:08:37 AM by W9GB » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »

If you want to purchase an antenna then check out any of the reliable manufacturers, e.g.  HyGain, Hustler, Cushcraft, Comet, etc.

I don't see anything special about 10m antennas.  I think you will be satisfied with these vendors.   I strongly encourage you to avoid CB antennas, particularly used ones; you are likely to be sold a pig in a poke at a high price.

Good luck!  b
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

Google shows trees at you license address. Glorious trees An Inverted Vee would work. Verticals require a ground plane of some sort. Inadequate ground planes make for common mode currents on the outside of the coax. Not a good thing. I myself have an Antron 99,  I have had it since the 80s. not to shabby, some like the Imax 2000, remember a vertical dipole, think a T turned 90 degrees ----| where as a horizontal is T. Wires are easy to hide. Much cheaper also.   As for Mobile antennas think whip. Let me hazard a guess you trainning up there.

Whip spring ball mount, coax PL-259 at the base of the mount, several wires as a ground plane. drooped at 45 degrees gives best match as a stand alone antenna. Mounted on truck, car, bike you have to cut it for resonance. The whip gives the better efficiency than other antennas for your transportation.  If you really want to see how it's done Go to WWW.K0BG.COM. Now Al has a nice site.

Tom Kb3hg
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »

A 10 meter Hamstick will do the job.
KD0PCJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »

I too live in a convenant restricted neighborhood - but no good trees, its too new. So, I put a 10M dipole hung horizontally in my attic under the highest ridge.  Its coax fed with a homebrew balun and I use a tuner (E.F. Johnson Matchbox).  Its oriented NE to SW, thus I get decent propagation to the Carribean, South America, the Mediterranean and occasionally Eastern Europe and Russia - the NW United States of course too.  I use my Radio Shack HTX-10 with only 20W, but also my Swan Cygnet 270 running ~80W.  Its amazing how much DX you can work with such a modest shack.  No shack RF issues running 10M, but I sure have problems on 20, 40 and 80M, especially when running power.  I hate covenants! Good luck!     
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: