Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable MW/FW receiver suggestions?  (Read 33184 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:58:01 AM »

My wife and I take ocean cruises at least once a year and I like to take a portable MW/FM radio to listen to the local radio stations while in port. I also like to use one in hotel rooms while traveling.

However my old Grindig MW/FM/SW radio is starting to fail and I want to replace it.

What I want is a rig that weighs less than 3 pounds, has digital tuning, memories and only receives MW and FM. I do not need SW. If possible would like the price to be $100 USD or so.

It does not have to have stereo speakers, in fact I would prefer a larger mono speaker over stereo

Can anyone a suggest a rig for my uses?

Found these and they do look tempting. Has anyone any experience with them?

Sangean PR-D5
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D5-Portable-Digital-Tuning/dp/B005GTO0DI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349102787&sr=1-2&keywords=Sangean+PR-D5

Sangean PR-D9W
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D9W-Weather-Rechargeable-Portable/dp/B003XU76O2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349102577&sr=1-5&keywords=Sangean+PR-D5

If you know of any active MW forums where I could also post this that would be appreciated.

Zack
N8FNR
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

About 20 years ago Sony made the ICF-M200, which was a AM/FM radio with five presets and digital tuning. I have one of them, it was advertised in the Sharper Image catalog as a "transistor radio for the 90s". It was quite pricey ($70 in 1991 dollars) so I'm not sure how many were made. You might check Ebay for a used version of this radio. Also, you might check the lineup of Tecsun radios, available on Ebay.
KK4AAG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

I like the Sony SRF-M37W Walkman available everywhere. About $40.00.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/pocket-radios/sony-srf-m37w.aspx#prodReviews

Here are a few others to check out:

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »

I agree. The Sangean PR-D5 or PR-D9W may suit your needs and requirements. They are beautiful portable radios and offer great value for money.
Best of luck.

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:55:57 AM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

An old classic is the GE SuperRadio III - excellent MW & FM tuners, very good sound, but no digital readout.

Under $100, I'd suggest the Kaito / Degen 1103; it has shortwave in addition to MW & FM, but otherwise meets all your requirements.  I've got one which I use for travel and as a loaner to interest people in shortwave, and it serves quite well (despite the quirky ergonomics...).
PBPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »

Can I suggest a Sony SRF-59 in addition to whatever you buy?
Small, lightweight and a very good performer on AM/FM.
Hobbyists often 'soup them up' for ultralight AM dxing.
Runs on ONE (1) AA battery and less than $20.  See here:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=sony+srf-59&oq=sony+srf-59&gs_l=hp.12...0.0.1.10877.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.NccN-7Qq_Xk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3266efb6d9a31251&biw=1280&bih=577

Besides, you should get some GREAT nighttime AM reception whilst out on the water.

~ Mitch ~
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:10 AM »

Grin Shocked Cheesy

That Sangean PR-D5? is about as sensitive as they get on the AM band. It might sound better if it had a 'wide' option but no.

I dislike little..tiny? radios. I mean I find them annoying. (personal thing)

Is it Grundig that has that 450 out now ? Early models had problems but the last 2 I tried are nice.

I would suggest C Crane company, (no affiliation) It seems they choose things that are AOK. Say the Grundig I mentioned prior..similar from C Crane seems more rugged build.

AM/FM broadcast band radios ? Not much out there !! (look around in your retail stores) Car Radios ?

KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/

I remember the day one could go to Sears (or ?) and get a new GE Super-Radio any time you wanted one.

It would seem nobody wants to even sell an AM/FM tuner anymore.(Stereo 'thing')

Of any portable fond in local store at least I think the Sony ICF-38 is not that bad for about $25.
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »

Right on your price pinch point is the Tecsun PL 660.  I have one and it works great.  Check the reviews, except for one stinker everyone else ranks it a 5.  I would not give it a 5 in comparison to all receivers, but a low 4ish number.  

It does not have a noise blanker and a couple of other bells and whistles and that 4 is comparing it to higher priced models.  The sideband tuning is a bit finicky for me...maybe that's me...I get it clear it just takes a bit so no big for the price.  It is an upgrade over the Tecsun PL 606 I put up in the closet.

For $100 bucks....I would say it's a 5ish in that price class.  

It also does long wave...so if you hear some strong telemetry on that cruise it may be sub com going on.  On FM you are not tied to US tuning steps...pretty helpful overseas I've heard.  I have been listening to 160M, 40M, 20M and 17M regularly and I have no complaints.  Comes with a rechargeable battery (low mah, need to upgrade) and a charger that adapts to European outlets.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:29:19 AM »

I'll second the suggestion of the Sony SRF-59 headset radio as a possible backup, as it is a great AM radio performer, especially for the price -- usually around $20 or less. 

MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »

My wife and I take ocean cruises at least once a year and I like to take a portable MW/FM radio to listen to the local radio stations while in port. I also like to use one in hotel rooms while traveling.

However my old Grindig MW/FM/SW radio is starting to fail and I want to replace it.

What I want is a rig that weighs less than 3 pounds, has digital tuning, memories and only receives MW and FM. I do not need SW. If possible would like the price to be $100 USD or so.

It does not have to have stereo speakers, in fact I would prefer a larger mono speaker over stereo

Can anyone a suggest a rig for my uses?

Found these and they do look tempting. Has anyone any experience with them?

Sangean PR-D5
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D5-Portable-Digital-Tuning/dp/B005GTO0DI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349102787&sr=1-2&keywords=Sangean+PR-D5

Sangean PR-D9W
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D9W-Weather-Rechargeable-Portable/dp/B003XU76O2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349102577&sr=1-5&keywords=Sangean+PR-D5

If you know of any active MW forums where I could also post this that would be appreciated.

Zack
N8FNR
My wife and I also do the cruise thing. I bought a Grundig YB-400. Comes with a retractable dipole antenna. Late at night I strung the antenna out on the balcony and got great reception.

-Chuck
VP8DNM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »

I own a number of portables, Grundig G6, Sangean 909, Sony 7600, Tecsun 660....

For my money the prince of portables is the Tecsun PL-390.... about $60 delivered ex Hong Kong and Ebay ( Anon-co are good).

It only covers broadcast bands so no SSB or utility stuff,

however ..

It has 'ETM' ( easy tuning method ), select the band of interest, press ETM and it will scan and store any station it finds.

It can be recharged via the USB port on your computer

It has 'Line In' and can be used as stereo speakers for your ipod or similar.

On SW great for just doing a quick scan a few times a day to see what bands are open.

I haven't bought the company but  I like them so much  I have bought three of them. One for home, one for my boat and one as a gift.

N7HQO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:36:34 AM »

AM/FM and SW?  The Sony ICF-SW7600G (or GR) has always served well.
The AM is fairly sensitive and the FM quite good for a small radio.  The fidelity
suffers a bit from the small speaker but is fine for casual listening.  As a
bonus you get SW, a clock radio, presets, synchronous detection, SSB/CW,
and FM Stereo with headphones.  The battery life seems to be about 15 hours
with  regular alkaline batteries and about 50 hours with the lithium AA batteries. 
Ebay prices are about $50>90 if you bid carefully.
Bon Voyage de N7HQO Larry
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:26 AM »

An old classic is the GE SuperRadio III - excellent MW & FM tuners, very good sound, but no digital readout.

This thing was garbage. Drifted like and unanchored boat. Not even in the same class as the I or II. Also, it might be too big. If he is looking for that size, the Grundig S350DL is a superior radio for less than $100. The replacement for that is now the S450, which is totally PLL.

But again, he may be looking at much smaller in size.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »

I was just browsing Ebay and noted that a Chinese company makes a digital tuning MW/FM radio under the name "Supersonic". Search for "Supersonic AM/FM radio" on Ebay. Price is about $20-25, IIRC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: