Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is up with Universal Radio? Nobody wants to answer the phone poor service  (Read 6606 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:21:56 AM »

Last week I dropped in an order for a FT-857D and an LDG tuner with most of the accessories and I have yet to hear back on a ship date. It as if they are running with one employee and the once great responsive service has suddenly "gone dark".

An earlier order took two weeks for them to process. If they are not willing to step-up and get things done maybe I should be spending my money someplace else. Have other folks had the same recent experiences with Universal Radio?

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KK5JY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »

Yes, multi-day turn-around times are fairly common with Universal.  I have been having better luck with HRO and CheapHam.

Universal seems to do a decent job keeping their website updated, but you have to be patient with them.  They are not fast.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »

I'm not trying to call anybody names or point fingers, but what has to be remembered is this:  Small one or two man operations have cut back to the bones due to today's economy.  Hams are a notoriously cheap bunch to begin with, and with all too many of them looking and shopping around for the best price, it's hard to make small operations act like their bigger cousins.  It's a trade off--lower price or quick order acknowledgement and shipping.

For pete sakes, give these companies a little slack!  They're trying to survive, just as we all are.  If you want the best price, be willing to concede in another area.  

Of course, I'm an older guy and wasn't raised with a "I want it yesterday" attitude.  All too often today's ideas just don't work right, no matter how anybody wants them to.  Another thing taught in days past:  You can't have your cake and eat it too!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:14:47 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K8CAC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »

Universal Radio has been around for a while. Since I was in Columbus this morning , I stopped by their store. I've never ordered any equipment from them since I'm close enough to visit their store. There seems to be at least six employees willing to help and their facility is in a large building, well stocked. Their prices seem to be higher, especially used equipment, as compared to AES, HRO, etc. I don't know why there would be such a delay on orders. I've ordered equipment from HRO, Virginia because of their prices and fast order times.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:22:28 AM »

OK, so they're not a one or two man operation.  My bad.  There are many other things that may cause unanswered phones though.

In one company I worked for, the incoming phone lines rang in one room only.  There was only one operator on duty, and that person also had to monitor incoming alarm system signals on a computer.  If there was one call already coming in and an alarm also coming in, the other two lines usually went unanswered until the operator could get to them.  The same thing applied as I already have made reference to.  Most companies these days can't afford to hire a person who will actually work five minutes out of every hour.

Could be that Universal has no system set up to handle such things--which IS to their detriment.
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:23:29 AM »

I've always had good dealings with Universal Radio for many years. To be fair, don't know if I've ever talked to them on phone. The very few email exchanges with them have been prompt, courteous. But their website is absolutely the most user friendly of any of the online dealers. Excellent, easy to bring up, pictures of all gear, both current and past production, are easily obtained. They even archive their used list so that you can see price history of whatever make/model gear of interest.
KA9MOT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »

I've always had good dealings with Universal Radio for many years. To be fair, don't know if I've ever talked to them on phone. The very few email exchanges with them have been prompt, courteous. But their website is absolutely the most user friendly of any of the online dealers. Excellent, easy to bring up, pictures of all gear, both current and past production, are easily obtained. They even archive their used list so that you can see price history of whatever make/model gear of interest.

Agreed! Best website in the business! I've had some pretty slow shipping from there though, but never longer than a week.
K4RAF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »

I had a Helter-Skelter experience with them:

I ordered a Perseus SDR on a Sunday
The next day & no order confirmation
3 phonecalls later, I got a human response
He told me the Perseus' were back ordered
Much to my surprise, the radio showed up on Wednesday!!!

However, knowing they are a small operation, I will support them any chance I get. Having been a SWL for 40 years, I appreciate their focus on offering SWL products. I still remembet buying my first SWL radio from Gilfer Shortwave in NJ, who really catered to the SWL aspect of radio, including mods like filters, etc...!!!

73 de Rafman K4RAF
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

I, too, had a similar experience. I ordered from them because they had the best price, but I also waited for what seemed an eternity to get a ship date. Yes, I was in a rush to get the item because it was going to be a gift for Christmas. Over two weeks went buy before correspondence informed me that my order had been "overlooked". With the holiday fast approaching and the item yet to be delivered, I had no choice but to cancel and drive to the nearest HRO (1 hour in good traffic conditions) to make my purchase. Needless to say, I no longer shop there.

-Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: