Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walls You've Hit on the Way to DXCC Honor Roll?  (Read 10079 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »

ZL9HR and VK0/H are the two dx-peditions that I should be able to work for my last two towards Honor Roll. I'm really hoping for a surprise announcement of a couple ATNO's that will most likely happen in 2013 - to put me over the top with a little room to spare.

Along the way I hit two "stretches" that seemed like walls:

From 290 - 300 - almost all done with wire, but the last 10 seemed like that movie "The Longest Yard" . . . .

From 325 - 330 - this was downright agonizing. I swear it gave me PTSD . . . so close - yet so far . . . .

The worst was 325 - 330 because I was stuck for 3 years where I only snagged 2 ATNO's. I am not kidding - at the bottom of the cycle, my shack literally filled up with cobwebs! I actually started hating DXCC and asked myself "Why the hell do I even care?".

Then just since January - the flood gates opened up wide and its been sooooo easy to make up for that lost time.

Turns out - my antennas were not up for the low take off angles I needed for the weak ones - where the SSN was ZERO. I was really burned out and almost decided to throw in the towel. All of my DX guru buddies - who earned HR years ago meet on the low bands in the morning and they have a saying whenever I start talking about DXCC:

"DXCC - who needs it?"

Its funnier than hell because I know they scratched and crawled just like I have been doing for the last 11 years. They also switched gears and hang out on 160M and 80M mornings and evenings, and one of the guys is one of the best antenna designers on the planet - and has elmered me in the ways of modeling wide band yagi's using the OWA design.

While they like to kid me about not caring about DXCC, all I have to do is tell them I want to design an antenna for the prupose of snagging "X" or "Y" - and man - they jump in and I can't stop them from sharing their sage advice.

I will earn HR soon enough and can't wait to start saying "Who needs it?".

But I will never stop designing antennas and trying them out. This summer I bought two old yagi's from a fellow who is downsizing and had a veritable graveyard of old Wilson and M2 aluminum. I've built 3 killer antennas and am about to build the fourth - and best antenna I have ever had. All for $375.00! The aluminum is cut and my new Craftsman Drill press and pop riveter will be wailing away starting this weekend.

So - these DXCC walls ended up being passages to the next fun thing in the hobby. I thought when I got to DXCC HR it was "the end".

It isn't - its the next step, and I am having even more fun than ever.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »

From 325 - 330 - this was downright agonizing. I swear it gave me PTSD . . . so close - yet so far . . . .

The worst was 325 - 330 because I was stuck for 3 years where I only snagged 2 ATNO's. I am not kidding - at the bottom of the cycle, my shack literally filled up with cobwebs!

I'm there right now. 326 current, with only two potential ATNOs in the next two @#$% years on the horizon--ZL9 and Heard. That wall is so high right now I may as well start wearing all black and take my oath before a Heart Tree. "Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I make Honor Roll...."

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »

That wall is so high right now I may as well start wearing all black and take my oath before a Heart Tree. "Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I make Honor Roll...."

Oh man - this is funny. You know that at least two announcements for very rare ATNO's will spring up and happen in 2013.

At least I sure the hell hope so.

W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

I've always viewed DX as a study, an avocation, rather than a "Ten Countries in Ten Days" sprint. Take the time to admire the DX scenery, be it your first DX QSO, being the first to hear the initial CQ of a rare one, the unexpected DX path opening up, learning about the foreign locale, experiencing the excitement of making the Q, and, yes, even the one that got away. No one wins them all; if we won them all the whole DX thing would be akin to calling the rare one on the telephone.

Given time they all become QRV; years ago it was Albania and China that were never on and they represented the pinnacle of DX. If 7O6T can get on, anything might happen so you never know and that is what makes this game so much fun. What DX will be on next?

We all have a great DX story or two in which we've participated and every year I'm pleasantly surprised and occasionally disappointed but it's all good.

It's been a wonderful adventure. Stay on the journey and watch the scenery and don't just stare at the odometer.  

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:29:56 AM by W2LO » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »

That wall is so high right now I may as well start wearing all black and take my oath before a Heart Tree. "Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I make Honor Roll...."
Oh man - this is funny.

Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until Top of the Honor Roll. I shall do no wife, mow no lands, ignore all children. I shall wear no HTs and be not Hamsexy. I shall live and die by my rig. I am the listener in the darkness. I am the watcher of the clusters. I am the fire that burns the ionospere, the Topbander that listens to the dawn, the single-jingle that wakes the sleepers, the array that hears the whisper of QRPers. I pledge my life and honor to the low bands, for this night and all nights to come." *

You know that at least two announcements for very rare ATNO's will spring up and happen in 2013.

I can always hope that they're two I actually need and not more retreads.

* If you don't get the reference: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night's_Watch
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:48:31 AM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »

Oh man - this is funny.

Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until Top of the Honor Roll. I shall do no wife, mow no lands, ignore all children. I shall wear no HTs and be not Hamsexy. I shall live and die by my rig. I am the listener in the darkness. I am the watcher of the clusters. I am the fire that burns the ionospere, the Topbander that listens to the dawn, the single-jingle that wakes the sleepers, the array that hears the whisper of QRPers. I pledge my life and honor to the low bands, for this night and all nights to come." *

You know that at least two announcements for very rare ATNO's will spring up and happen in 2013.

I can always hope that they're two I actually need and not more retreads.

* If you don't get the reference: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night's_Watch

Most excellent - love it.

To make it even funnier, there were massive neon green ads on that site running for a new movie called "Seven Psychopaths".

It doesn't get any better than that . . . .
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »

Methinks someone is a bigger G-O-T fan than I am  Grin  Can't wait for next season to see if someone gets rid of that twerp 'King' Goffery (and I use the word King lightly). Take his crabby mother too !!!! Long live the 'King of the North'   Cheesy

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »

I think I have just about reached to abilities of my current station and antennas so I might be forced to upgrade. I've missed a few of the last pile of DXpeds due to 'just not' having the ummpphh to get there with my current setup. I'm at DXCC count of 250 and seems like they're already getting few and far between. Did manage to pick up 3 ATNO's in the CQWW RTTY test last weekend so I am thankful for those!! I know I definitely will need to upgrade antennas and amps well before I reach the TOP!

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »

I have not hit the "wall" yet but I know it is just a matter of time. I'm at 313 worked and 310 confirmed.  I'm waiting for QSLs from VU7M, NH8S, and 3D2C.  I have Chad (spotted today), St. Peter & St. Paul Rocks, Auckland and Campbell, and Temotu Province to be worked in 2012, but I then think I will hit the wall you speak of at 317 worked.

Chris/NU1O
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »

Methinks someone is a bigger G-O-T fan than I am  Grin  Can't wait for next season to see if someone gets rid of that twerp 'King' Goffery (and I use the word King lightly). Take his crabby mother too !!!! Long live the 'King of the North'   Cheesy

I live and breathe Westerosi lore some days. I've read all the books and all I can tell you is that you really want to avoid any Website that discusses the books beyond A Clash of Kings (season 2 of the show, which aired this year) or spoilers for the TV show. Next season and the season after that they'll tackle Book 3 (A Storm of Swords) and....I just can't say any more. Serious plot complications are coming. You may want to have some potent potables onhand after at least one episode, if not two.

You know you've been reading to much ASOIAF when you start wondering if Valyria should count as a deleted entity or not.

The North Remembers.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »

While you guys are watching your favorite TV episodes, I'm listening for DX.  I am on the HR-- just sayin.'   Smiley

Once you make mixed HR, there are more hurdles-- if you're looking for more to do.  For example, achieving HR on your favorite mode (I'm one away from CW HR), climbing up towards #1, etc.  Heck, just staying on the HR or maintaining your position requires some work as new countries are added.  I know a few people in our local DX club who used to be on the HR, but dropped off due to inactivity as new ones were added to the list. 

Chuck  NI0C
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »

Ive been stuck at 263 for 5 days now!!!!
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

I think I'm about to face my hurdle on the way up.  I'm at 310 credited, now, once I confirm T8 and 3D2C and those are added to what's waiting in LoTW and my confirmed "pile", I'll hit 318.  When (not if) I nail ZL9 I'll be at 319 and will have hit my predicted wall/hurdle.

Then what?  Undecided

Frank, W1NK
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

I can speak for Honor Roll, but for DXCC, when I had 99 confirmed, I had about 5 QSOs outstanding that would have given me 100, but I could not get anyone to expedite. After it finally came, the number shot up pretty quickly, where I have been moving slow in the 160s. I am hoping the winter brings more so I can get to 200. Can't wait for the CQ contest.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »

I'm at 294 - I can see 300 through the binoculars!

My big wall was October 2008 - January 2010. Only 1 new one worked. That was the solar min, but better antennas would have helped. I had my beam down and was concentrating on finishing up 80 meter DXCC while conditions favored that band. From that standpoint those years were successful because I did finish 80 meter DXCC (and thus 5 band DXCC) and worked some good stuff on that band.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: