Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walls You've Hit on the Way to DXCC Honor Roll?  (Read 10573 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »

I was hit by a big wall named Hurricane Ike that tore apart a gemquad antenna and crank up tower, but I haven't given up hope. I just calculated I need 24 more so I guess that's 24-9 = 17 if I figured that right.

Walls? How about being at work when the DX was there. And missing them completely - I tried everything in my power to work BS7H and ended up with no contacts. Sometimes the stuff just happens that way. But its a hobby and its supposed to be fun.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »

My DXing started in late 1979.  I not sure if I ever really hit a wall.  I was very fortunate early on to work many of the entities that make up the Top 25 today.  (Who remembers separate but simultaneous DXpeditions from Heard Island in 1983?)  Some of these Top 25ers were quite active back then, and some were as tough then as they are now - but timing is everything!  For the next 22 years it was mostly a slow but steady diet of working the needed ones as they came around, working around school, work, and occasional brief periods of inactivity.  In early 2002 I worked my "last one" which was YA/T6, at least until the plethora of recent new ones which, of course, have been worked too.

After the last one for DXCC I focused on other challenges like 5BWAZ (completed in Jan 2011) and DXing in general on 80/160m.  IOTA is a leisurely pursuit that helps keep DXing skills sharp.  I don't actively pursue DXCC Challenge but still try to work stuff on as many bands as possible.  RTTY finally found it's way into the mix in 2010.  So there has really never been any "down time."  There's always something else to work somewhere.  Plain and simple I just really like DXing!

Enjoy the chase and may it never really end!
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »

While you guys are watching your favorite TV episodes, I'm listening for DX.  I am on the HR-- just sayin.'   Smiley

Once you make mixed HR, there are more hurdles-- if you're looking for more to do.  For example, achieving HR on your favorite mode (I'm one away from CW HR), climbing up towards #1, etc.  Heck, just staying on the HR or maintaining your position requires some work as new countries are added.  I know a few people in our local DX club who used to be on the HR, but dropped off due to inactivity as new ones were added to the list. 

Chuck  NI0C

Not to worry, I watch a total of about 3 hours of TV a week at most. GOT is one hours of it. A couple other shows I like for the 'who-dun-it' effect. Most of the junk on TV isn't worth the electricity to power the TV to see it. I spend many hours a week at the radio and many weekends in contests so you're not getting all the DX. I'm in there helping too. But too much of any one thing isn't good for ya. Got to have a little variety in life. That's why I work CW and RTTY between GOT episodes Smiley

Glad you're on the HR. Just means you'll be one less signal in my way as I work to get there since you already have worked most of the DX Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »

The divorce in 95.

I had a 77SX, 110' tower with hardline &  monobanders for 10, 25 & 20 and all the other bands with great Rx & the transmit was a non issue. After that divorce it was 13 years before I could get a signal in the air. I'd say that was the biggest issue. I have 310 confirmed but those years off the air & loss of that amp/tower put a real dent. That & I only work CW so if I wanted to work digital & SSB, I'd probably be right up there anyway, digital & SSB do help to make so many hard ones a non-issue.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »

I think I have just about reached to abilities of my current station and antennas so I might be forced to upgrade. I've missed a few of the last pile of DXpeds due to 'just not' having the ummpphh to get there with my current setup. I'm at DXCC count of 250 and seems like they're already getting few and far between. Did manage to pick up 3 ATNO's in the CQWW RTTY test last weekend so I am thankful for those!! I know I definitely will need to upgrade antennas and amps well before I reach the TOP!

Gene,

If you have a beam and amp, you are a long ways from hitting the wall with your setup.  I have 320 worked with 100 watts and fairly simple antennas-vertical, random wire, G5RV, sometimes a small beam (Cushcraft MA5B or MiniQuad).  Now 5 of those are deletes (Czechoslavakia, East Germany, M-V Island, the old PJ2 and PJ7) but that leaves 315 current.  I probably have a better shot into the middle east and east africa than you do, but you kick my butt into Asia and the Indian Ocean.  You should be able to make honor roll with that setup if you wait long enough.

John AF5CC
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »

I think I have just about reached to abilities of my current station and antennas so I might be forced to upgrade.

FWIW, I got to 290 with 100 watts and dipoles/verticals (no dipole higher than 60'). Buying a small Ameritron 400 watt amp brought me where I am at 307 (all CW), but I probably would have gotten most of them barefoot (but who knows). People say going from 100 watts to 400 watts is barely perceptible on the DX end; but I know sometimes I would call and call at 100 watts, then at 400 watts BOOM, I get through. This is especially true on 80 or 160.

Yes, upgrading antennas is always a great thing. But that requires a fair amount of work. Buy an Ameritron AL-811 only requires a credit card.

paul
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »

Dave, KM3T, and I both hunted for Heard Island in the early 1980s, from the University of Pennsylvania club station.  I worked VK0JS and Dave worked the other operation!
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »

Just need P5 thats it.  The guy that was there was a poor operator, but I guess that's no excuse.  I would listen to him in the morning and would count the Q's he made in the one hour I had to play HR before I had to go to work. His average Q rate was 12 Q's an hour.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:04 AM »

W5DQ wrote:
Glad you're on the HR. Just means you'll be one less signal in my way as I work to get there since you already have worked most of the DX

Well, not quite.  Since I'm also participating in the DXCC Challenge, you're still likely to hear me in there calling someone I don't need for an ATNO.  There are only 75 entities that I have worked on my 9 bands of interest (160 thru 10, exclusive of 60m). 

Chuck  NI0C

K4ZZR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »

I'm at the wall right now with 330 confirmed.  If I could just nail Christmas Island, I'd be very happy.  Campbell is also still on my short list so I might actually get HR this year.   Even though I don't have the HR plaque yet, I do have my P5 card framed on the wall.  Grin

Most of my friends don't understand the thrill of chasing a new one. 

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »

Stuck at 279 w/277 confirmed (minus deleteds that don't count for HR anyway)....Nothing is budging anytime soon, either....I am banking on the ZL9 and PT0S operations for two more ATNOs before the end of the year....And if I can ever get to ZD9.....anything else would be pot luck at this point.....and I just can't get to zone 24....It's sooo bloody frustrating.....Talk about hitting a wall???....This is it.....Oh how I long for the days when the SFI was well over 200!.......

V
KA3NRX

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »

I was looking at the log...16 all-time new this year so my total is now 305 worked, 281 confirmed.  Can't believe the luck I have experienced this year.  5U, 3D2/C, D6, VR2, A5, SV/A, 7O, V8, 3C6, 3C0, HK0/M, CY9, TN, VK0T, C21, 4W.

Hoping to work FH, XX9, ZL7, PT0S, VK9X and ZL9.  That would be 311.  But I have real tough prop to some of those locations.

After those are activated, it's going to be a long dry spell waiting on islands to get active or some of the tougher countries to be on the air (EP, XZ, E3, S2, XW).  I suspect this is what every Honor Roll DXer goes through.  I seriously started chasing in 2002, and got my hex beam in 2006 (that made a HUGE difference).  Then an amp in 2010 also made a BIG difference.  So although my hamming goes back to 1977, the real hunt has been going on for only 10 years. 

And I do believe it has gotten easier with the equipment, clusters, and shared knowledge.  Maybe not easier by definition, but easier in terms of the ability to achieve it given a finite amount of time invested.  The days of "spinning the dial" are not gone forever, but the quickest method for working rare DX does now involve assistance from technology: clusters, prop maps, beacons, solar forecasting, SDR, etc.  Back when I started chasing DX in 1979, I had a dipole...a TS520S...a keyer...QST prop forecasts from the print edition...and the Friday night ARRL DX bulletin broadcast in CW (which I copied every week).  A lot HAS changed since then. 

Finally, I have consistently buried coax in the woods behind my house, did numerous "DX dances", read the newsletters, listened to the OT's, and put in many many hours into the hobby.  The DX gods have been very kind.

At 48 years of age, who knows if I will ever make it to honor roll.  But the thrill of the hunt keeps me in the game.  Just like the sailors on the USS BEDFORD in "The Bedford Incident," (awesome flick with Richard Widmark), it's the hunt that keeps me intrigued.

Also, being "in the zone" is highly addictive (see article in NCJ from earlier this year on game design and optimization and how it relates to our hobby).
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »

After those are activated, it's going to be a long dry spell waiting on islands to get active or some of the tougher countries to be on the air (EP, XZ, E3, S2, XW).  I suspect this is what every Honor Roll DXer goes through.  I seriously started chasing in 2002, and got my hex beam in 2006 (that made a HUGE difference).  Then an amp in 2010 also made a BIG difference.  So although my hamming goes back to 1977, the real hunt has been going on for only 10 years. 

If you have been a serious Dxer for 10 years how did you miss S21YZ in March of 2011?  That was a big expedition with strong signals. I've worked Laos in 2011 and 2012. There hasn't been a big expedition from there but there are active stations from time to time.  EP, XZ, and E3 are tough, but I have worked two EPs.

Chris/Nu1O
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »

I'm at 291 now, I have worked at least 10 new ones this year, but it's getting harder,

ZL7,ZL9,PT0S,VK0H are the next ones I'm looking out for along with T30

Looking at my list on clublog, all the KH's KP's and FT's are going to be next to impossible as people just are not allowed to go to these islands anymore,

It's ok for people licenced for 40 years all these were run of the mill back then,

Im only DXing proper about 3 years and have limited time to work radio,

But if it was easy it would be no fun,

Trevor
EI2GLB
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

Well reading this I fell rather bad. I have been on HF for about 1 year and I have 120 confirmed and 165 worked. I like to tell people that I am a DXer in training. I am try to get better with my code. All I have to is to complete the paper work and get my cards checked and I will be "Official". I hopd to be up there with this great group in the future. I have to congratulate all of you.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: