Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the 'old' extra class manual still a good study guide?  (Read 4427 times)
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »

I was just given a copy of the Gorden West (July 2008/June 2012) Extra Class study guide. I'm wondering if there were enough changes to the question pool to warrant getting the 'new' study guide, or is the 'old' guide still current enough to get me an upgrade? (golf season is slowing down, decided it's time to move up) I appreciate any response.

73,  Dale
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

Congratulations on the decision to continue your study.

The old ( 2008 ) exam had 738 questions and the new exam has only 702.  Forty four questions were removed and eight new questions were added and numerous editorial changes made to make things clearer.  Full words replacing abbreviations, slight rephrasing etc.  Since publication, another three or four questions have been removed.   With that said, if you study the Gordon West book to LEARN rather than to just memorize you will find it to be a great tool.  I also highly recommend Ham Test Online.  It is a great interactive learning tool when used in study mode and is always 100% up to date.

Good luck with your studies.

de John, WI4P   
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

You can probably go even further back and get an Extra manual from the 1970s.  These don't have the question pool answers, but they do have a wealth of knowledge that should help you understand the material well enough to get those questions right.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »

You can probably go even further back and get an Extra manual from the 1970s.  These don't have the question pool answers, but they do have a wealth of knowledge that should help you understand the material well enough to get those questions right.

I disagree. I have the 1970s guide and the 2008 guide, and passed the extra in 2008 (Advanced in 1974). The modern Extra test has many questions about satellite, ATV, EME, new regulations, logic circuits, that are not mentioned at all in the 1970s guide.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »

....if you study the Gordon West book to LEARN rather than to just memorize you will find it to be a great tool.  I also highly recommend Ham Test Online.  It is a great interactive learning tool when used in study mode and is always 100% up to date....

I have to agree with John on this one.  Yes, using the older guide to STUDY, and using the online site to take practice tests will probably do you a lot better than getting a new manual to look at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: