Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Balanced feed-line running along concrete roof tiles  (Read 1301 times)
KG6SII

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

I have about a 10ft section of 300Ohm twin-lead laying on my concrete roof tiles, from a vent to the center of my dipole.  Do I need to insulate the twin-lead from the concrete roof?

Thanks,
Glenn KG6SII
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:21 AM »

Do I need to insulate the twin-lead from the concrete roof?

A possible clue would be to measure the impedance (or SWR) under dry and wet conditions. Ordinary concrete absorbs water which could have a large effect on twinlead.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »

I have about a 10ft section of 300Ohm twin-lead laying on my concrete roof tiles, from a vent to the center of my dipole.  Do I need to insulate the twin-lead from the concrete roof?

Thanks,
Glenn KG6SII

It is never a good idea to lay an unshielded  balanced line on anything. It should always be ***spaced *** several line widths away from other things, including roofs or dirt.

Insulation does not help, air spacing does.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »

I don't think "dry" cement tile will affect your signal much.  But, I will say the tile will be abrasive and tear up your PE insulation.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »

Thanks,
Glenn KG6SII
Well, I own a tile roof cleaning company here in the Tampa area www.saferoofcleaning.com and see moisture up there quite a lot.
The tiles on a roof can and do get wet, and retain water, from both the rain and humidity here in Florida.
I think the water might effect the twin lead, but you will have to measure to be sure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: