Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excellent long path propagation tonight!!  (Read 867 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:52:42 PM »

Just snagged JT1BV, Mongolia....never heard a peep from this area of the world, but at grey line, I snagged a bunch of long path Austrailia and this one!  Just when you figure you will never get a certain part of the world, BANG!
That's 4 ATNO's in the last 3 days.
Getting there,  179 countries now in 15 months.

VA2FSQ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »

Just snagged JT1BV, Mongolia....never heard a peep from this area of the world, but at grey line, I snagged a bunch of long path Austrailia and this one!  Just when you figure you will never get a certain part of the world, BANG!

Congrats on JT but that probably wasn't true long path. Greyline, perhaps (although that's more a phenomenon on 40 and down) but not LP. Besides, how would you know without a directional antenna? VK east-coast is workable LP at this time of year starting around 4pm, and that's almost assuredly what you worked.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »

Congrats on JT but that probably wasn't true long path. Greyline, perhaps (although that's more a phenomenon on 40 and down) but not LP. Besides, how would you know without a directional antenna? VK east-coast is workable LP at this time of year starting around 4pm, and that's almost assuredly what you worked.

If you want to hear long path Australian take a look for VK3MO, Ian.  He qualifies as a beacon. He has been on almost everyday the past week at his QTH in Victoria working LP to the states during our late afternoon (4 to 6 PM). He runs a stack of 5 over 5 over 5 over 5 on 20 meters and when I worked him the other day he was 20 dB over S9 on the LP with the K3's preamp off.  I worked another Australian LP about 10 minutes later and he had a very respectable station but he was down 15 dB from Ian.  On one of the days when the K-index was at 5 or 6, Ian was still audible LP but he was down over 30 dB from his normal signal strength.

As for Mongolia, I think JT5DX has one of the better stations in that country.  I worked him about 9 AM last Thursday on 15 CW. He was 599 plus about 10.  JT5DX makes up one third of all my Mongolian QSOs of 15.  When I worked JT5DX it was 2 1/2 hours past his sunset. 

I agree with Peter, it was very likely not LP.  BTW, JT1BV is part of JT5DX's contest team. I have worked him several times from his own station.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: