Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you Sherwood 'Specmanshippers'  (Read 9312 times)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 01:42:56 AM »

We all know its  a "receiver test data" league table.   The point is that its gets annoying when  people will go around claiming that they have the best radio  because they only consider receiver  specifications. There is two sides to the equation, receiver performance and transmitter performance. If I bought something thats claimed to be the best  I would want the item to be perform well in  all areas of its operation not just in one area.  If I went out and bought a  Rohde-Schwarz EK2000 transceiver today I know I would be buying something that has both a perfect transmitter and receiver. For that  matter it would be perfect and meet all its claimed design specifications. What we typically  get when we buy a very expensive amateur transceiver  is a radio that generally  is far from perfect and probably has several failings.  If it was beer  money I would not complain, but these days radios are getting very expensive and the price creep is getting very close to full commercial  mil spec radios. For the money I think I deserve to get  something better and that performs better than a 100 dollar CB radio. Unfortunately thats what you typical get in ham transceiver, a transmitter whose IMD specifications is just as bad as the average CB radio. Its pure folly to turn a blind eye to the failings of amateur transmitters because they are crap.

You dont have to tell Rob Sherwood what to do, he knows  that transmitter performance should be considered. Rob does not have the time and resources to do all this testing. The people you should be dressing down is the ARRL who collects my and your money  and are the one who turn a blind eye to radios with bad IMD performance.  The ARRL also has the resources to do the job, but they  dont seem to want to get into the business of being critical of their advertisers.

The reality is that the Hilberling is really the only radio in the top 5 list that deserves to be there. The reason I say this is its excellent transmitter IMD performance.

Wrong. Go back and look at the list again, specifically the title: "Receiver Test Data". Transmitter specs have nothing to do with this list and shouldn't.

Perhaps you should argue that Sherwood should have three lists: Rx Test Data, Tx Test Data, and Combined Performance.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »

Zenki, have you seen this Kenwood TS-990 ad yet?
http://www.hamradio.co.uk/userfiles/file/TS-990S-Leaflet-final.pdf

Look mid-way down the page of the leaflet and you will see the transmitter
specs. It appears "to me" that someone might just be listening to you!
james
WD5GWY

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:49:15 PM by WD5GWY » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

TS-990S is another unremarkable radio that is using dinosaur concepts with bells and whistles.

I have read all the available material on the TS-990S and I read nothing that makes me excited about the radio.
While Kenwood has had a history of producing radios using  rather clean PA's, and  selecting linear PA devices, it excels at very little else.

The TS990S looks like its just going to be another pig in lipstick radio with the usual shortcomings.

Old technology
Birdies in the receiver
Poor transmitter design with the usual poor transmitter ALC. There is no reason whatsoever to have ALC in a modern transmitter as implemented by ham radio manufacturers.
A PA using excellent FETS that will not be optimized on all ham bands. Adaptive pre-distortion should have been the new standard.
Uncalibrated S-meter
A bandscope that wont have enough dynamic range  and controls to be a useful tool.
A radio with a 2 watt distorted 20% distortion audio amplifier.
Poor  receiver in band IMD.

Yes, its exciting that they have re-entered the ham radio  with a big radio. Projects like the HPSDR transceiver will  very shortly be  blowing all these expensive white elephant radios out of the water. Kenwood
and the other Japanese manufacturers really should get with the program and design radios using  the latest DDC/DUC architecture designs. This technology can deliver all the performance required  that does not require obsolete   dinosaur technology that will become obsolete when the Chinese manufacturers stop manufacturing the crummy parts.

There  is not one killer feature in the TS-990S design that can  be considered leading edge, its just another  new radio that will do little for the ham radio masses.
 Its a good radio for milking the baby boomers of their retirement savings. Nothing like a big box with knobs that does very little to help the average ham enjoy his hobby that cant be done with any available transceiver already available.

Excuse me I need to have a snooze!

Zenki, have you seen this Kenwood TS-990 ad yet?
http://www.hamradio.co.uk/userfiles/file/TS-990S-Leaflet-final.pdf

Look mid-way down the page of the leaflet and you will see the transmitter
specs. It appears "to me" that someone might just be listening to you!
james
WD5GWY

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: