Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast Conditions for ZL9HR  (Read 4227 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »

I'm the West Coast Pilot for the upcoming ZL9HR dx-pedition, and I have put together an analysis of conditions and how you (on the West Coast) might strategize getting your "Q":

http://ky6r.wordpress.com/

I also cover the difference between conditions on the West Coast and the rest of the US - including Alaska and Hawaii.  Stan, KH6CG, is the Pacific Pilot, so we certainly have the "ring of fire" covered. If you are not on the West Coast and I can be of any assistance, please let me know - my contact information is on QRZ.COM. Email is the best way to communicate with me as I will be working full time during this DX-pedition. Hopefully I will be working from home for a portion of this dx-pedition. I do receive email on my smart phone, and you can also connect with me on Twitter - @KY6R

Skype is an option as well - but not while I am at work:

KY6R--

Your comments and feedback are welcome, and I stand ready to serve as a Pilot on the ZL9HR team.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »

I'm the West Coast Pilot for the upcoming ZL9HR dx-pedition, and I have put together an analysis of conditions and how you (on the West Coast) might strategize getting your "Q":

I also cover the difference between conditions on the West Coast and the rest of the US - including Alaska and Hawaii.  Stan, KH6CG, is the Pacific Pilot, so we certainly have the "ring of fire" covered. If you are not on the West Coast and I can be of any assistance, please let me know - my contact information is on QRZ.COM. Email is the best way to communicate with me as I will be working full time during this DX-pedition. Hopefully I will be working from home for a portion of this dx-pedition. I do receive email on my smart phone, and you can also connect with me on Twitter - @KY6R

KY6R--

Your comments and feedback are welcome, and I stand ready to serve as a Pilot on the ZL9HR team.

Aren't you the pilot for the whole USA?  I don't recall seeing a separate pilot for the East Coast and I thought there should be one for each coast.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »

KY6R--

Aren't you the pilot for the whole USA?  I don't recall seeing a separate pilot for the East Coast and I thought there should be one for each coast.

Chris/NU1O

I'm listed as the West Coast Pilot, but have just told the ZL9HR organizers that if they need me to handle all of CONUS I can. I will report back if that happens. I have an absolute strong daily pipeline to VK/ZL - on several high and low bands.

You might consider signing up as the East Coast Pilot!

Rich
KY6R
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »

I'm listed as the West Coast Pilot, but have just told the ZL9HR organizers that if they need me to handle all of CONUS I can. I will report back if that happens. I have an absolute strong daily pipeline to VK/ZL - on several high and low bands.

Rich
KY6R

I believe there should be two pilots for the USA, one for each coast.

I have never been a pilot and I have no idea what the responsibilities are.  If you would like to take the time to explain the responsibilities I will give it serious consideration.

You may want to use email, Rich. I am good on QRZ.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »

Rich
KY6R

I believe there should be two pilots for the USA, one for each coast.

I have never been a pilot and I have no idea what the responsibilities are.  If you would like to take the time to explain the responsibilities I will give it serious consideration.

You may want to use email, Rich. I am good on QRZ.

Chris/NU1O

I totally agree - and will email you.

Rich

W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »

This is GREAT to see. One ham with the issue, the other ham giving him the info and the first ham jumping in feet first to be a pilot.

Now THIS is what ham radio and DXing is all about.  Just do it!

DX IS!
KD5NLV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »

Seriously? This is like creating an propagation strategy from W1 to EA. Whats the point.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »

Seriously? This is like creating an propagation strategy from W1 to EA. Whats the point.

Not quite. W1 to EA is much closer than W6 to ZL9 - by a factor of almost 3, and think about the lowbands - where the ZL9HR crew will not be able to stay overnight on the island - but will do their best to travel by boat to and from the island during the grey line.

This means the strategy to work them on the low bands (and yes, they do have low band antennas listed for the lowbands - including 160M) will be very tricky - and I am anticipating that as a Pilot - this is where I will have to provide the most support.

On the higher bands I agree with you - I seriously doubt anyone on the West Coast will need me to do much Piloting there.

The Rocky Mountain states will also have very good paths - but it will get "trickier" for the Central and East Coast states. If no one signs up as a Pilot for these trickier areas, then I would gladly do the same sort of analysis as I have done for the West Coast. K3EL - who has done the "official" propagation analysis on the ZL9HR site likes the Pilots doing the more "regional / local" detailed analysis and sharing this with our local DX-ers.

Finally, the Pilots will most likely get involved later in the DX-pedition when the frequencies shift to give General Class licensees their chance at this rare entity.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:58:24 AM by KY6R » Logged
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »

Thanks for your help KY6R
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »

Thanks for your help KY6R

You're welcome - this is going to be a "most excellent" dx-pedition. The team are psyched and a great bunch of guys. K3EL and I are working on some new graphics that I will add to my ARRL National Convention / Pacificon Antenna Forum presentation, and I will discuss propagation and HFTA as it pertains to ZL9HR, Clipperton and Heard Island - all of which I am a Pilot.

If you can make it - I think there are still a few tickets left for the Antenna Forum - Friday, October 12.

http://www.pacificon.org/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:46:07 AM by KY6R » Logged
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »

Did you miss this part?
"If you are not on the West Coast and I can be of any assistance, please let me know"

DX IS! Fun
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »

KY6R--

Mahalo

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:06 PM »

Thanks Rich,

I am a newbie on 160 and am really hoping to work them on this band.
With your help maybe I will be successful.  It may be a long time before  there will be another dxpedition to ZL9  Tongue

Bob
K6UJ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »

Thanks Rich,

With your help maybe I will be successful.  It may be a long time before  there will be another dxpedition to ZL9  Tongue

Bob
K6UJ

Based on new detailed information that I am getting from the ZL9HR team, I have updated the blog with "black out times" when the team will be off island:

http://ky6r.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/zl9hr-predicted-conditions/

I think 160 / 80M for the West Coast will be somewhat of a dream, but you never know. I also updated the blog to include many more scenarios beyond what I originally had and what is on the ZL9HR "plans" web page.

I will keep updating this page - and will also start up a blog to communicate daily news as I get it once the operation is under way.

I must say - the ZL9HR team is a very good team, and they are very responsive and supportive of the Pilots. They know their stuff, and even with the "black out period" where they have to go off island - they seem to really be on top of their game as far as their planning is concerned.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:57:48 AM by KY6R » Logged
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »

Thanks Rich,

With your help maybe I will be successful.  It may be a long time before  there will be another dxpedition to ZL9  Tongue

Bob
K6UJ

Based on new detailed information that I am getting from the ZL9HR team, I have updated the blog with "black out times" when the team will be off island:

http://ky6r.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/zl9hr-predicted-conditions/

I think 160 / 80M for the West Coast will be somewhat of a dream, but you never know. I also updated the blog to include many more scenarios beyond what I originally had and what is on the ZL9HR "plans" web page.

I will keep updating this page - and will also start up a blog to communicate daily news as I get it once the operation is under way.

I must say - the ZL9HR team is a very good team, and they are very responsive and supportive of the Pilots. They know their stuff, and even with the "black out period" where they have to go off island - they seem to really be on top of their game as far as their planning is concerned.

Checked on your blog and I see what you mean about 80 and 160 for the west coast, ZL9 is ATNO for me and I will concentrate on the upper bands for a contact and will check 160 for that slim chance.  160 would really be icing on the cake, big time  Grin  Thanks for the info Rich.  Your time spent with pilot efforts and the blog are much appreciated.

Bob
K6UJ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: