Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: arrl handbook 2013: softback or hardback?  (Read 3426 times)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

Does the hardback hold up good? I just know with bindings, hardback bindings break.

thoughts?

thanks
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »

Currently the price is the same for both. It really depends how you are going to handle the book. Careful handling will certainly not hurt it. I use to buy the softcover which is actually more in danger if nicks and dents. But with annual replacements it's not an issue.
KC9RCG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »

I will take care of it. But I also know how binding breaks down very fast.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:56:10 AM »

Are you buying it to use it, or put in a museum?  It's not the book that's important, it's the information inside.  A book used so often that it falls apart is a badge of honor.

I have an engineering text given to me by a retired engineer that is almost to the point it needs a rubber band around it to keep it together.  There are notes in the margins, dog-eared pages and highlighter marks throughout.  What a testimony to the text and all that was and still is learned from it.

Since the League has been putting CD's in along with the Handbooks I find I handle the paper copy very little, and they still look like new even years later.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »

Neither, put the pdf on a Kindle along with all your other ham radio books.

Tanakasan
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:48:56 AM »

Does the hardback hold up good? I just know with bindings, hardback bindings break.

thoughts?

thanks
I'm not sure.

Tell you what.  Buy me both, let me use them for a few months, and I'll let you know.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »

I think the hard back is worth it... over the years it wears very well!  You will be referring to it a lot.
73s.

-Mike.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:17:29 AM »

Another vote for the hardback.

Many libraries will obtain hardback books if possible since they are going to be used frequently, and stand up better to hard use.
Also, with softbacks they frequently cover them with plastic contact to make them more durable.

The thing to do with any new book is to properly "condition" it when you first use it.
Open it up a few pages at a time and GENTLY press down, making sure you don't crack the binding.
When you have done the entire book, it will lay flat naturally and the sections will not have a tendency to crack at one or two spots.
Again, this must be done gently, and for the entire book.

If it is conditioned correctly, it should last a long time, whether in softcover or hardcover format.

Like others, I just use the PDF format for most of my reading, since it is easy to search, and I can vary the text size to match my eyesight.

Either way, it is the information content that is most important, not the container.

73 - Rob
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »

Chalk up another vote for the hardcover.  I used both, and if the book binding is properly 'broken in' or conditioned as Rob says, the binding will last a good long time. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »

I guess this old man marches to the beat of a different drummer. 

My vote is for the soft cover.  Reason being the soft cover will open and lay flat without the need to fight the damn thing from closing!

As one pointed out, unless you're buying it for your library or collectors item, then why get the hard cover?

As for the digital version (CD or iPad) that might work for you but being old (I don't know of any other reason) I simply can't read and remember technical stuff that I read on a computer screen.  I know many others who have this same problem (they're old too) so don't feel too bad about it.

I apologize for contributing to your agony. 

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »

Buy both, my soft covers from the 70's are battered because I still refer to them because they have different info from the newer books. Hard covers but they look better on a shelf. But I really use the soft covers. Now if you want replacements you can find the older ones for sale various places, the usual suspects including the ARRL Auction.

As for the electronic copies awkward to find the big picture. Try tracing a schematic with a 7 inch screen. No thanks. I spent at least a half hour searching for specific information on the Euro equivalent of B size(11 x17) drawings last night went through 3 big binders of drawings. I would have never found it on a tablet. But that's me.  Give me paper.

Tom Kb3hg
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:47 AM »

I guess I should have explained my suggestion a bit more.  Yes, the softcover will stay open easier on a bench, but if you plan to refer to it regularly, the soft cover will soon become tattered and will not last as long as a hard cover edition would.  As I said, I used both, and even though the soft cover was still useable, the covers had to be continually repaired as the book got older.  That wasn't the case with the hard cover edition.

Of course, you can take steps to preserve the soft cover when it is new, such as use stick on laminating sheets to strengthen the covers, but why do that when a better alternative is available for the same price?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: