Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 33 foot vertical on 2 story roof  (Read 1966 times)
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »

Any one have this? If so any pics?

Mike
KD2CJJ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »

I helped install such a thing in 1971. It worked.
ZL3OF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »

Not quite 33 feet and no pictures but I have used a 7.5 metre (about 24.5 feet) vertical on a single story metal roof with homebrew remote ATU at the base. Worked all round the world with it. It was a very neat, tidy and unobtrusive antenna.
Then I hung a ZS6BKW on it and compared them. The ZS6BKW was usually better, sometimes the same but never worse than the vertical so I removed the vertical and installed the ZS6BKW permanently at 10 metres.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:07:15 AM by ZL3OF » Logged
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »

Hi,

If you have a metal roof, here is what I did:

I purchased a 31' telescoping (green or black), fiberglass pole available from Jackite Inc.   Insert 31' of FlexWeave  and your done.

Add a Balun Design, Model 4134s Unun. With my Palstar AT-AUTO tunes all 10-80m better then 1.2:1.  It is mounted on the second floor balcony and uses the metal roof as the radials.  

I also have a ZS6BKW dipole strung between palm trees at 30'. The Vertical mostly out-performs the dipole by about 2 or 3 S units, and always get great reports.  However I am sure a lot of it are the three important things I have going for me, location, location, location. 

This is what I did:

1. Cut off the top 1/2 inch metal tip of the fiberglass pole, leaving a hole for the wire to go through.
2. Insert the wire up through the fiberglass pole.
3. Solder a solder lug terminal to the wire, so it can not pull back down the pole.
4. Put a 2" sleeve of heat shrink over the tip and the protruding solder lug. (optional)
5. Drill a 1/4" hole 1' from the bottom of the 31" pole, to pull the wire out and connect to a the Unun

There is a pix on my page V47JA on QRZ and I have more close up pix, but could not find your EMail address to send them.

73 and DX,

John   V47JA  

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:19:04 AM by V47JA » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »

33 feet = 1/4 wave antenna on 40 meters.  No matching network should be necessary.  Maybe a choke at the base of the antenna.  You MUST have 1/4 wave radials.  The more the better up to a point.

If you want to use the antenna on other bands, then a matching network(s) is necessary.

It should work OK.

Dick  AD4U
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »

As above I also have a 31 ft. vertical wire hanging from tree with about 50 ft. of coax feed line from an elecraft T-1 qrp tuner,works just fine 40-10m with no need for radials.Just had a metal roof put on,just might put a 31 ft. wire up from that and see what happens.Experiment and have fun. 
ZL3OF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »

I also have a ZS6BKW dipole strung between palm trees at 30'. The Vertical mostly out-performs the dipole by about 2 or 3 S units, and always get great reports.  However I am sure a lot of it are the three important things I have going for me, location, location, location. 

And antenna orientation. In my case the ZS6BKW is oriented close to North/South. So with it's various lobes on different bands no matter what band I'm using there is always a null North - South. The only country south of ZL is Antarctica, not much activity there!
And to the North, a few Pacific islands, some of them reasonably rare dx but close enough to work anyway on 80m, eg Swains, Conway. Further afield is KH6 and KL7. Nothing else but water........

Moral of the story, whatever works at your QTH. If you could re-orient your ZS6BKW you might be surprised at the results but I can't imagine that you can move the trees!
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »

I remember seeing a 33' vertical mounted on the roof of a Volkswagen van,
guyed down to the corners of the roof.  Obviously it wasn't used in motion,
but the van was often parked in the middle of a salt marsh:  I expect they
were working lots of DX on 40m.
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »

Yep, a vertical over salt water kicks butt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: