Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still no sign of a working Flex-6000 series  (Read 22299 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:53:50 AM »

At the Belton Ham Expo... no sign of a working Flex-6000 SDR yet.  Just a pretty mock up again.

Gene
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »

Gene,
Did you expect anything else?

Tim

Real techies don't use knobs.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »

Gene,
Did you expect anything else?

Tim

Ha ha... NO.  Didn't they say they were shipping by the end of the year?  Since it is already October, you'd think Flex would have something more to show of the Flex-6000 though.  No working hardware and no working software.  They have a lot of work to do in two months!  Cheesy

Gene
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:18:14 AM »

Maybe they are re-designing the 13.8 volt CB PA and are busy working on an adaptive pre-distortion high voltage FET PA. I heard that there is shortage of CB bipolar transistors from Japan because of nuclear accident, maybe thats the reason for the Flex 6000 delay.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:23:27 AM »

Maybe they are re-designing the 13.8 volt CB PA and are busy working on an adaptive pre-distortion high voltage FET PA. I heard that there is shortage of CB bipolar transistors from Japan because of nuclear accident, maybe thats the reason for the Flex 6000 delay.

That's even more hilarious!  The Flex 'engineers' could not even pull off the long promised class A mode for their Flex-5000a PA.  Does anyone remember that broken promise by Flex?

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »

My bet was the at the earliest late Q1.  Then there will be the mountain of bugs, and perhaps even some hardware misques!

That discount the early birds got, is likely going to be very welled earned as beta testers!

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »

At the Belton Ham Expo... no sign of a working Flex-6000 SDR yet.  Just a pretty mock up again.

Gene

That's one of the reasons I consoled myself by buying a super clean, Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV yesterday at Belton!!  Grin
Fantastic working rig. And a TON of features to boot. But, no Slice Receivers
anywhere in sight. Angry
 One of their employees was set up next to Flex's displays and he was working hard to sell me his FT-1000D. I almost took him up on it too!! But, the MKV
looked good too. And it helped a SK's widow. (she was at the hamfest and I knew she needed the money......so that part was for a good cause in my book)
   Anyway, the employee that was trying his best to sell me his 1000D, said that the "Signature Series" 6000's that were pre-ordered, should be available by the end of the year. Manufacturing is taking place down the road from Flex in Austin. And that general availability after that, "probably" won't be until March 2013.
  I'm still glad I did not pre-order the 6500 , that I had seriously thought about getting. But, I could not really see putting $1,200 deposit down on something I have yet to see a WORKING demo of. Call me silly, but, that's just the way I roll !  Grin
james
WD5GWY 
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:06 AM »

... And it helped a SK's widow. (she was at the hamfest and I knew she needed the money......so that part was for a good cause in my book)...
james
WD5GWY 
[/quote]

OT -- What a fantastic idea!  Perhaps I will also have that opportunity one day and will remember your act of generosity by paying top dollar for an SK's equipment.  Thanks!   Grin

73 ES GOD BLESS YOU ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Cheesy
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »

... And it helped a SK's widow. (she was at the hamfest and I knew she needed the money......so that part was for a good cause in my book)...
james
WD5GWY 

OT -- What a fantastic idea!  Perhaps I will also have that opportunity one day and will remember your act of generosity by paying top dollar for an SK's equipment.  Thanks!   Grin

73 ES GOD BLESS YOU ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Cheesy
[/quote]
Thank you Ken. It really doesn't hurt to help someone like that sometimes.
Especially when it is obvious that they need the money and in this lady's case, she had a lot of medical expenses etc. from her husband's death.
Good luck and I hope you do find that special something sometime for yourself and at the same time it helps someone else.
james
WD5GWY
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

Belton, whoopee... I spent $35 gas to buy a $3.50 bulkhead SO-239 and a $17 magmount. The mockup Signature looked cool, kind of reminded my of my APC AVJ.

I spent more time at the coax booth next to Flex. That was some good stuff. Direct burial coax with high quality connectors for just a few bucks more than the equivalent Chinese molded crap.

This was my first Belton trip, and the first time in many hamfests that I didn't see even ONE radio, new or used, that I wanted to buy. I stupidly passed up a really nice military mast set. 40' of heavy aluminum tapered end poles, guys, stakes and a carry cage for the whole thing. Field Day perfect. $40   I am getting lazy in my old age. All I could think was,, "I'm gonna have to lug this thing to the car..." Mentally kicked myself in the butt (not hard for me, due to the apparent proximity of brain) all the way home..
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »

Sorry you didn't find any goodies!!! There certainly were a ton of them out there.
But, finding exactly what you want and in the condition you want, can be a challenge sometimes. I've wanted a FT-1000MP MKV for a long time. But, they were usually priced way out of my comfort zone (budget) or in sad shape.
This time, things clicked for me.
  I saw several things that "tempted" me. But, I resisted, knowing that I really was hoping for what I ended up with. Had there been a Collins 75A4 receiver in good condition, in my price range, I would have probably bought it, instead of the Yaesu. For some reason, I see those when I am low on money! (having just spent what would have made it possible to buy one)
  I love hamfests and Belton has to be one of my favorites. Some of the local ones here in North Texas (not counting HAMCOM or  Cowtown Hamfest) are getting pretty small, with less and less attendance. I really hope that changes. No fun when they go away............... Sad
james
WD5GWY
W4ZV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 03:09:08 AM »

I've wanted a FT-1000MP MKV for a long time.

This time, things clicked for me.

Very bad and (unfortunately) very true pun!

http://www.w8ji.com/ft1000mk_v.htm

73,  Bill  W4ZV
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »

Very bad and (unfortunately) very true pun!

http://www.w8ji.com/ft1000mk_v.htm

73,  Bill  W4ZV
No doubt!!! But, according to the guys helping the lady sell her
husband's equipment, the radio has had that mod done to it.
It is a late production rig, built in late 2005. I don't do CW much
anymore because of my hearing. CW tones seem to fall right into
a pitch that can be tough for me to hear. (also have Tinnitus and
the ringing and pitch is enough to mask some CW for me)
  I'm slowly learning this radio. And want to add some filters to it
too. The stock filters and DSP stuff, works pretty well. But, a bit more
would help.
  When I do try and do CW, I have a nice TenTec Jupiter that is great
on CW.
Thanks for the info. I really do like W8JI's website. A lot of info there.
james
WD5GWY

W4ZV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »

No doubt!!! But, according to the guys helping the lady sell her
husband's equipment, the radio has had that mod done to it.
It is a late production rig, built in late 2005.

James you should be good with that unit.  Yaesu finally implemented a production change in August 2004 to fix the click issue.  Unfortunately that didn't fix the thousands of existing units beginning with the FT-1000D in 1999.  What a shame it took them 15 years to address the severe clicks they had, and never did a recall or even admitted the problem!   Angry

Enjoy your new rig!

73,  Bill  W4ZV

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »

The Flex people were at this past weekend's Pacific Division/ARRL National Convention and all they had was a static display model of the 6000. No working model.

I asked the company rep about this and he said the hardware and firmware are done and the remaining work is on the GUI that runs on the PC. Seems to me if that's the case, they should have been able to show something more than just a box with a clear plastic cover...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: