Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Amplifier interferes with Computer and TV  (Read 2714 times)
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »

I just got my new amp up and working but when I transmit on 10 meters it knocks the connection from my radio to my computer (ham radio deluxe)
I am getting a little feedback in my speakers... the amp a Dentron 1000 which has the 10 meter upgrade??
when I transmit on 80 meters and 10 meters the TV dish looses it's signal (Mine) I am afraid to ask the neighbors about theirs. The end of my antenna is only 6 feet from the dish. I am running 500 watts out max using a parallel dipole antenna
any suggestion would be appreciated this is my first amp
Thanks
George
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »

"The end of my antenna is only 6 feet from the dish."

This may be the cause of the problem so the first thing to try is moving the antenna (I'm assuming here that moving the dish is more difficult). You can also check that you have a decent low impedance ground to your shack whilst you're at it.

After that it's a question of ferrite beads on the satellite coax, and on your speaker connections, and on all connections in and out of your computer till you cure the problem.

Tanakasan
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:43:25 AM »

Some things you may want to check:
Is all equipment in the shack properly connected to a common ground?
Is there a good ground rod in place?
What is the SWR when the RFI occurs?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

Follow Tanakasan's advice and you will find the solution. One thing to add is to threshold the problem; reduce the RF power then raise it slowly until the problem occurs. Now you have a baseline to compare to. For example, if the problem just occurs at 200 watts and adding ferrites raises it to 300 watts you are making progress. If all troubleshooting is done at 500 watts some fixes may be missed.

DX Engineering stocks snap-on ferrites. When troubleshooting this type of problem I like to have a couple dozen ferrites and you might want to have extras to give to the neighbors.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »

The ends of a dipole are where the high voltage nodes are. 

Move or re-orient the dipole.

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »

Welcome to the world of QRO for the average Ham who lives in suburbia! Ferrite cores will become your best friend. And you will get pretty good at re-orienting feedlines/antennas.

I worried about my neighbors RFI problems (caused by me), and fortunately the damage was restricted to MY house. Grounding the coax just outside the shack helped WONDERS for me.

paul
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »

Thanks for all the Help
Moved my amp to the other side of the desk (away from the computer) and cut power out a few watts and everything is just fine.
Heck it's even easier to tune in the new location
Thanks
George
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:36 AM »

congrats on the fix. QRO 10M is hard to tame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: