Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 1400 times)
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 05:18:05 AM »

I like using narrow filters.  BUT - I always call CQ using my wide (2.7khz) filter, since it does seem that many don't do a good job of zero-beating.  Once the QSO is in process, I'll use RIT as necessary and narrow my filter

Incidentally, different receive offsets don't cause a problem.  Let's say you're transmitting on 10.110 Mhz.  Anyone listening to your signal will still transmit on 10.110 Mhz regardless of the offset they've chosen, as their transmitter automatically puts their carrier low (or high) by the receive offset they've chosen.   So when they answer you, they will still be transmitting on 10.110 Mhz.

Phil - AD5X
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:25 AM »

99 percent of the time you don't want to be using the 250Hz filter. Contests, pileups, etc., sure, the 250Hz filter is great.

Most of the time, you would probably be happier with a wider CW filter or even a SSB filter.

I personally find that using a 250Hz filter for more than very brief periods is very very tiring. Don't get me wrong, it's useful, but for everything but the most intensive pile-busting it's not particularly productive.

250 Hz is, in my opinion, too narrow for higher WPM's (35 WPM+). Someday you'll get there.
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »

Why would anybody answer a call 2 or 3 kHz off frequency? It doesn't make sense to take up 3 kHz for a CW QSO! 500 Hz is too much on a crowded band.
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 05:30:04 PM »

If you are looking for patient and slower speed operators, listen on or near the QRP cw calling frequencies. We QPR operators, usually, send at somewhat slower speeds to compensate for weak signal conditions.

That's even if we are 30WPM capable. We are always happy to QSO at any speed that gets through.

VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »

Hello,

I agree with much of what has been said.  I always run my rig with the filters "wide open" when I'm calling cq, because it is quite common for someone to respond waaaaay off frequency.  I have done it myself, when I only heard the "..cq k", at the end of the call.  Am I high or low?  Don't know, so just try it from where you are.  

Running with wide filters allows you to hear someone who is calling you, and whoever is is around.  Once you have established contact, you can zero beat, then you can narrow down your filters.  500 Hz is good for most conditions.  

I also agree that it is difficult to slow down!  That may seem counterintuitive, but it's true!  At 22 WPM, I'm as smooth as silk.  If I try to send at 14 WPM, my fist sounds like a nervous newbie on the first cw qso.  So, please have patience with me!  

I always try to slow down to the callers speed. If someone doesn't after a couple of requests, and I can't copy, I just politely terminate the qso. But there is another way to look at it!  See it as an opportunity to practice at a higher speed.  Head copy, word copy, make sure you get their name, call and report, and then just go with it.  You may be surprised how much you catch, and if you don't, no big deal!

Relax and have fun!

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB    
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »

Doug, consider PC Keyboard CW using a Winkeyer USB. You can send at any speed perfect fist for hours at a time. My limitation is, sometimes I blow fuses on my TS-520S when I send CW too slow.
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »

David WQ3T,

Thank you for your comment.  I think we have worked before.  I seem to recognize your call, but my log is paper based, so there is no easy search facility!  

Actually, I have a K1EL keyboard keyer.  I stick to the programmed keys and my paddle most of the time, but if the person is going too slowly or too quickly (I'm comfortable sending between about 20-30 wpm), I do tend to use the keyboard.  It's a great tool!  

I don't have the CW reader/decoder, and don't think I would really care to use that technology.  With automated sending and receiving, CW might just become another digital mode, especially if it's boosted to very high speeds.  To me, what makes cw special as a mode is being able to send by hand and receive by ear.  

All the best,

Doug VE3XDB      
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »

If you want to use your CW filter, the easiest was is don't call CQ!

Be the one that answers.  Theres' web pages that will get you real time "skeds" with SKCC or FISTS members.  Just have them call first and get them in the pass band as they call you.  You can admit you're new at it -- they're just fine with it.

Or, you can just hunt around, too.  With only modest practice, you'll be able to listen with the wider (probably SSB) filter and then center it so that when you turn on the narrow one, the QRM disappears.

Then you can have some comfortable QSOs.

K5MO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »

250hz is indeed for battlefield conditions, not for casual qsos or band cruising...waaaay too narrow for that style of work.

John K5MO
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 09:30:19 AM »

VE3XDB Doug, here are the QSOs:
FRI 26-MAY-06, 9 min
SAT 29-JUL-06, 13 min
TUE 26-SEP-06, 9 min
SAT 18-NOV-06, 10 min
MON 02-JUL-07, 6 min
SAT 21-JUL-07, 12 min
WED 25-JUL-07, 4 min
TUE 18-SEP-07, 17 min
Total QSO time: 80 min

No QSOs for 8 months now; let's do it again soon.
73 WQ3T
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 04:01:31 AM »

Time and chasing DX will heal this problem for you.  You can sit there for an hour and listen to others work a DX station so that you can get their call.  Time simply means that you don't start off in your ham career with smooth copies but for some reason it gets easier as you go on.

One other tip, don't anticipate what the guy is going to send.  I do it naturally and it's a real handicap for me.  I think he is sending "the" and he throws a curve at me by sending "they" and I get hung up on the "y" and miss the next word, now I'm behind the curve!!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: