Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody East Coast hearing VK9XM?  (Read 7241 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »

I have been looking for him since his arrival. Listening on likely bands before he was even spotted in Europe the first time.
So the only stateside QSO's have been 15M morning long path ? I seldom hear it in Texas.

Unless his pattern changes, it does not look good for good old USA !
A new one for my mobile log. I should have got up and worked VK9XS the first morning he was QRV, and on 40M CW. That was it for many days. 

GLTA 73 Tony N5UD
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »

Tony, over here in the Dallas area, in 2011, I worked VK9CX on 10M SSB at 0:00 hrs GMT. A month ago, I worked VK9CS on 17M CW at 12:51. I am not counting on long path on the frequencies he has been spotted on! Guess I will wake up at the crack of dawn tomorrow and see what I hear.

The bands surprise you sometime. I worked ZD9UW on 10M SSB at 12:49 and considered myself lucky, as he just popped out of the noise and there he was, I jumped and got him!. I don't think that routine will work this time going northwest!

Hope you get him!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »

This one is ATNO for me too.  I couldn't hear the last activation and I couldn't hear this one either.  My luck hasn't been too good with the 9's (ZD9 and VK9).  I hope for better luck on ZL9  Embarrassed

Any West Coast stations got them?

Jonathan W6GX
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

I've heard VK9XM on somewhat regularly from my part of the world, but he seems to have a definite European focus.  I've only seen him working that part of the world in our local afternoons and early evenings when the bands are open in that direction.  Hopefully he'll shift focus somewhat to give those of you in NA a shot.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »

I've noticed he is on and off the air at the same approximate times. There are a bunch of us over here waiting, but I am afraid the conditions are sub-par over here for his neck of the woods.

I get a kick out of the spots being posted by the EU bunch, such as "CQ, alone, strong 59++ tu simplex , Alone   UP   5, 5/9++, 5-10 up ... getting stronger , in the log, tnx for new band, VERY GOOD SIGNAL!!!", ....etc. You don't think they are needling the Yanks do you!  Grin

I guess I am jealous Sad

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »

I see comments like that and it really makes me wish that a few of these places could see honest to goodness real, dedicated DXpeditions rather than guys on holiday with 100W and wire in a palm tree. VK9C, The two JD1s, V8, T8, XX9, and 9V are other examples of active places that are rarely heard on the U.S. East coast anywhere other than 15, 17 and 20, and which could definitely generate massive NA crowds on the upper and lower bands.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »

I see comments like that and it really makes me wish that a few of these places could see honest to goodness real, dedicated DXpeditions rather than guys on holiday with 100W and wire in a palm tree. VK9C, The two JD1s, V8, T8, XX9, and 9V are other examples of active places that are rarely heard on the U.S. East coast anywhere other than 15, 17 and 20, and which could definitely generate massive NA crowds on the upper and lower bands.

The common problem with all of these locations is that most are densely populated areas.  9V and XX both have high ambient noise and space is extremely limited.  9V1YC is QRV from the small rooftop available at his QTH.  He does very well but obviously suffers on the low bands without adequate space.

Minami Torishima is a JMSDF military base - the operators are all members of the military or work at the weather station there. 

Ogasawara on the other hand is pretty well represented on the bands IMO.

Most operations from T8 are from the rental shacks, which are located in very populated, noisy areas.  Infrastructure is not like it is in the states - power lines are noisy!  It makes low band operation difficult and frustrating.  In some ways, uninhabited islands are preferrable for DXpeditions because you don't have to worry about power line QRN and more importantly, nosy people. 

Another commonality with these places is that there is enough activity from them to keep them down the most-needed list.  As a result, the big DXpedition crews look elsewhere when deciding where to go next.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

The common problem with all of these locations is that most are densely populated areas.  9V and XX both have high ambient noise and space is extremely limited.  9V1YC is QRV from the small rooftop available at his QTH.  He does very well but obviously suffers on the low bands without adequate space.

I've worked James on a few bands (including 40) but he's the only really strong signal out of Singapore. I'm not familiar with the geography, but is there no part of that city-state that could house an "international goodwill" amateur station, on a waterfront? The only reference I have is Google Earth, but even with that there looks like a lot of land that could be used.

Minami Torishima is a JMSDF military base - the operators are all members of the military or work at the weather station there. 

I didn't know that about JD/m, but I worked them long before and more frequently than JD/o. It may be well represented in the Pacific and even Europe but for NA it's quite rare on anything but the three middle bands, and even then it's a challenge. There's a near-zero percent chance of hearing them on the low bands in Z5.

Most operations from T8 are from the rental shacks, which are located in very populated, noisy areas.  Infrastructure is not like it is in the states - power lines are noisy!  It makes low band operation difficult and frustrating.  In some ways, uninhabited islands are preferrable for DXpeditions because you don't have to worry about power line QRN and more importantly, nosy people. 

Another commonality with these places is that there is enough activity from them to keep them down the most-needed list.  As a result, the big DXpedition crews look elsewhere when deciding where to go next.

This is what I was addressing in a few posts here and elsewhere. The fact is that these regions of the world (Zones 23, 24, 26, 27 and 28) range from considerably difficult to nigh-on impossible to work for more than half the licensed population in the U.S. and Canada (basically all of Zone 5 and much of Zone 4) who aren't fortunate or wealthy enough to own yagis and big amps. These locations probably wouldn't generate killer pileups in EU and JA, or even AF and VK/ZL, but a strong 10 day operation from a few of these places would also cost exponentially less than Peter 1 or South Georgia, and would net a tremendous number of stateside bandfills and probably more than a few all-time New Ones as well. Heck, even your location--it took me 4 years with a wire, 100W and sunspots to finally log Guam from New York City. The second-to-last zone, in fact, for my original WAZ award.

The point is that there is significant demand out there; enough to warrant some talented operators putting together a strong legal-limit station with excellent antennas on the air for a relatively short term operation. Probably with the help of local DXers who can't otherwise erect such a station on their own for full time use.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 03:38:43 AM »

Pete,

All good points!  I know exactly what you speak of, and feel your pain.  I grew up and was licensed in Central NJ, so I know first hand the challenges.  From here in Guam, if I am lucky, I will get a handful of decent openings into W1/2/3 on 160m and most that I work are the big guns I've worked before.  80m is less challenging, but similar story.  From here the heading is about 030 degrees, and directly through the magnetic north pole.  To Europe, the path is similar in heading (degrees from north) and length, but I find it open more because this path is not blocked by the magnetic north pole.

Most of those places you list deal with the same AU oval that I do, to a greater extent being further west.

From here, the biggest challenge are places like CY9 and FP.  Neither KH2L or I were able to work the recent CY9 DXpedition on any band/mode and it was not for a lack of trying.  Similarly challenging are some of the European countries, most notably SV/A.  When they listen in this direction it is usually for JA and they are crazy for DX, piling up like crazy. 

I can be frustrating being a DXer, but part of me knows that it wouldn't be as fun if it were easy!

73, Dave
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:29 AM »

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
That's funny about quiet power lines in the US. Come out where I live and it is a constant dose of S7- S9+20 of noise. The only way I work
any DX is to get about 4 miles out of town on the highway. Then noise is up/down. I do stop in quiet locations when needed.

In town, they have to be strong to be heard. Most of AC plant here is 40+ years, and they won't wholesale change it.
I have been working on the problem around my house for two years with the power company. Not much progress made.

As for VK9XM, with upper bands being poor, 30M CW is about only chance at his sundown. He is still working EU right now.

W5RDW I heard you calling on 12M about our sundown. I heard nothing from VK9XM. I barely heard a KH6 calling CQ.

73 Tony N5UD Longview, Texas
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »

>W5RDW I heard you calling on 12M about our sundown. I heard nothing from VK9XM.

I wish I were calling him because I heard him, but no luck. I was calling in the dark hoping he was maybe sipping a Mai Tai and just happened to hear my call  Grin. I did hear some very weak CW, maybe the W6's calling him, but not enough to decipher.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 06:34:43 AM »

And I'd also add to this discussion VU on the low bands on the east coast. While I've worked a few on 40, I've heard India exactly once in many years on 80, and never on 160.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:36:56 AM by W2LO » Logged
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »

I wish I were calling him because I heard him, but no luck. I was calling in the dark hoping he was maybe sipping a Mai Tai and just happened to hear my call

...and I did the same thing on 12m cw last night too......the sigh of desperation I think 

Mark N1UK
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »

Now I am really sad  Angry after reading this spot......

GM0EGI.....18150.0...VK9XM.....up 5 NO takers!!....1522 09 Oct   Christmas Island

Maybe to them, Christmas Island is like the Caribbean to us!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »

We've had two M class flares in the past two days.  I'm lucky to hear people in the states never mind XMAS Island.  10, 12 , 15 and 17 have been totally dead here in MA.  There is some US activity on 20 this morning.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: