Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good HF radio for new ham  (Read 63363 times)
KB5ZAU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »

Id say the Ten Tec Century 21 too. My first rig were a set of Drake twins - can't recall the model but it was great. Although I had the Drakes, I wanted the Ten Tec for its simplicity.
It made it so I would never to this day want one of these appliance rigs. I went from tube to kit/homebrew.
KD2AJO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »

Hi! I am also i ham at 13 years old. I currently own a used ts-530s bought for $300. Many of similar price are available. Also check out the hendricks qrp kits. They have SSB rigs for as low 120 dollars.
W2DAB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »

I would echo what others have said about finding a club and an elmer, there are many hams who might give you equipment to get you on the air.  We should be thankful that you are continuing the ham tradition for a new generation.  Buying older rigs with your hard earned money might be a bit frustrating unless you have a good guide to help test it and counsel you.

The same with kits, although the Small Wonder Labs and Hendrick kits are good and fun to put together, they are usually CW only and if you are going to learn CW then I would buy a pre-assembled kit like the Ten-Tec one here for 250. :
http://www.tentec.com/products/Two-Band-CW-QRP-Transceiver-%252d-40-%252d-20-Meters.html

That way you can then concentrate on building your antenna, not a kit and you can be on the air (at least listening and learning) sooner and perhaps carry on the code for future generations as well.

Best of luck and 73
W2DAB  - David in NYC
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »

Hi KJ6IVM,

It has been a few years since you posted your message about a HF rig.
I hope you have made several contacts on HF.
How are you dong?

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »

There was a Kenwood TS140 here on eham.net today going for $185 shipped.  I am sure it didn't last long at that price.

John AF5CC
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »

Just my own thoughts, of course, but look for a Kenwood TS120 or TS130.  My first HF rig was a TS130SE--and I still have it AND use it.  One of those is a good basic solid state rig with the controls that are most needed.  A good rig to get your feet wet with.

73 and good luck!

I started with a 130, it was given to me for free by an Elmer who had run a high school amateur radio program, and people had donated rigs. He was retired, and he had to sell his house due to bankruptcy, so all the radios had to go. I also got a Heathkit SB102 but sadly lacked the funds and know how/skills to make it purr again and had to sell it. A decent 130 can be had for $150-200 sometimes, even on Ebay. The band switch can be an issue but it all depends, if the rig looks beat up, pass.

I should mention, check Craigslist. Sometimes you can get rigs on there for a song-one guy even GAVE away a fully operational Yaesu FT101! The rigs on CL tend to be older, but prices are often less than Ebay or the swap sites.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:00:27 PM by KJ6ZOL » Logged
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »

Kenwood TS-440AT highly recommended.
Simple to operate and effective antenna tuner.
That rig with a G5RV and multi-band dipole got me both WAS and DXCC awards.  Cool
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: