Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National NCX-5 MKII free to good home  (Read 2782 times)
KA3YAN

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »

I have a National NCX-5 MKII that I've had for about 20 or so years, most of which has been spent in my attic.  I pulled it down a few months ago and fired it up.  So it receives...mostly...and sort of transmits.  Ok, so it needs some TLC from someone better acquainted with boat anchors than I am.  I have the radio, NCX-A power supply and the XCU-27 crystal calibrator.  The rig has all of its tubes, but I wouldn't swear that they are all good though they do light up.  I have pictures if you're interested and want them.

I would love it if someone restored this old rig.  I wanted to do it, but I don't have the time or money.  I hoped to sell it, but nobody took me up on it...so now I just want it to go to someone who will take care of it.  I don't want to see this rig on eBay after I gave it away is what I'm getting at.

If you are interested, let me know.  I would greatly prefer a local pickup (Summerville/Charleston, SC area), but if you pay for it, I'll take the radio to UPS and have them package and ship it.  This is going to cost you some money...just to let you know upfront.  They do decent packaging but at a cost.  Obviously you'll only be responsible for the cost of packaging and shipping and any insurance that you want placed on it.  I'd like to stress that local pickup is preferred. 

Brad KA3YAN
AB1MN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »

Brad,

I would love to restore your NCX-5. I have always loved the unique style of this rig and think it is a great piece of ham history.  If you still have it, I would give it a good loving home.

Let me know,

Bob  AB1MN
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »

Hi Brad,

I've had two of these, over the years and would love to have another to restore, use and keep.   I'll gladly pay UPS pack/ship charges.  816-792-1690

Mike Harrison
KE0ZU
KA3YAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:49:45 AM »

Bob,

Since you answered first, I'll give you first choice.  I'll take the rig to UPS and have them pack and ship.  Then I'll just send you an email with the cost, of if you use paypal, I can just send you an invoice.  Whichever is easier.  I have no idea what the shipment will cost, but just using rough estimates on UPS.com shipping calculator, from my ZIP to yours is about $90.  Since they are the ones packing it, it might be about $15 more.

If this works for you, let me know.  I might have estimated high, but having shipped a few things with UPS recently, I kind of doubt it.

Brad
AB1MN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »

Hi Brad,

Yes, let's go ahead with this. When you have the shipping charges, send me a PayPal money request, or send my you PayPal info and I can send the money to your account.

Thanks,

Bob

KA3YAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »

Bob, I sent you a PM with some details.

Brad
AB1MN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »

Brad,

Because you have "double quotes" in your name, the eham messaging system stops processing when it encounters the first double quote.

I am not sure if I was able to reply successfully to your message or not. If you did not see a reply, this is the reason why.  My address is rwkembel "at" nlabooks "dot" com.

Bob
KA3YAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »

Well Bob, you'll have to let me know how things go with the rig.  I've been holding onto that thing for a very long time.  I'm really excited that you wanted it and will put it back into service.

Brad
AB1MN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »

Hi Brad,

Will keep you updated. Bringing these old rigs back to life (an hopefully their former glory) is the part of ham radio that I enjoy.  Somehow, I just can't get into the modern computer controlled, no tune, menu driven rigs. I have worked with computers all of my career and I guess I just want to relive a bit of my early days in ham radio where you actually had to turn the knobs to make things work. I hate to see these bits of history disappear and if I can bring some new life to them, that feels great.

I will send you pictures and updates along the way so you can see the progress.

Bob
KA3YAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »

Bob,

That would be fantastic!!!  In my mind, I always thought I would spend the time to restore the rig, but it just never happened.  My elmer, George W3VVP, gave me that rig to practice receiving code with so that I could pass my Novice code test.  I'm not really sure where he got the rig, but I suspect he picked it up at a hamfest.  I was about 16 years old I guess.  I did use the rig for receive-only.  He never bothered to align the rig and I didn't know how.  Once I passed my Novice and Technician, I pretty much gave up code and spent my pennies on 2m toys for packet radio.  I was in my high school's ARC, so I had access to a Heathkit HW101 and a decent dipole, and my parents had no interest in me stringing up a bunch of wires around the yard. I just put the NCX-5 up in the attic with the intent of eventually getting to it...just never happened.  After I went into the service and eventually got married, I drifted away from ham radio for about fifteen years.  I stayed licensed, but I really didn't do much.  It wasn't until this year that I finally pulled the radio out of the attic and decided to fire it up and see if it still worked.  I also decided that I didn't like being only a technician anymore....so I upgraded to General in February and Extra in May.  Best decision I've made in a long time.  I now have a decent all-band all-mode rig for HF and a fun little Flex 1500 that I just picked up for tinkering with.  That little SDR is freaking amazing!!!  I can't believe how selective it is. 

Nothing beats the look of a 50's - 60's HF rig.  I just love them.  I would eventually like to pick up a nice Collins rig, but for now I'm happy with what I have.

I can't wait to see what you're able to do with the National!  I know it will sing once it gets some TLC.

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: