Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guying a freestanding tower ?  (Read 2817 times)
VK3TJK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 01:01:55 PM »

hi guys,
thanks for all your opinions.. I now believe i will not use this tower and wait a bit longer and get a tower manufacturer to engineer a new one to suit, as there were some good points made there which i was blind to consider!. I was a bit hopeful that i could use the tower i have but i now am sure it wont be an option Smiley

And yes, its about 12 feet across (triangle) at the base and tapers up to the top which is only about 6 inches wide.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »

If the tower is designed to be free standing, I wouldn't assume that guying will make it stronger. Guys convert sideways wind pressure into downward compression pressure on the tower. If the tower is not designed to take that pressure then guying may actually make the installation weaker.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »

hi guys,
thanks for all your opinions.. I now believe i will not use this tower and wait a bit longer and get a tower manufacturer to engineer a new one to suit, as there were some good points made there which i was blind to consider!. I was a bit hopeful that i could use the tower i have but i now am sure it wont be an option Smiley

And yes, its about 12 feet across (triangle) at the base and tapers up to the top which is only about 6 inches wide.

6" wide for a triangular tower won't support much of anything in the way of an HF beam antenna.

It might be possible to remove a section or two, making it shorter but also wider and stronger.  I'd look into that possibility.
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »

Wow - that is quite a shack you have there!

I thought the gold mining activity was out west. I'm surprised it is also in VIC. May have to check that out next time around!

Jack
WA2OLZ
ex-VK2FBY
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 04:18:13 AM »

hi guys,

What size and type legs are the tower, and how often is it cross braced?

Maybe you can take the top off and get to a reasonable sized area?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: