Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power out on the KX1  (Read 2900 times)
M0JHA

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »

Just got a KX1 , looking in the manual it states i should be getting 1.5-2 w out using the internal AA's and 2-4 watts out on a 12v external supply ..

Now i'm getting 1 watt on internal and 2 watts on external 12v supply . does this sound right ? i have checked (R4) for power out and it is as should be , fully clockwise, it's also been checked into a dummy load.

billy , m0jha
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »

That does sound a tad low.  Does your power vary by band? Do you have the 80/30 m module installed?  Are you using Lithium or Alkaline "AA" cells? 

You can get some good advice on the Elecraft Reflector: http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/maillist.html

You might try searching the Reflector archives, as this topic has been covered from time to time. 

The KX1 is a fun rig; I've built two of them.  However, I haven't used mine for a while, so I've forgotten how much power mine puts out.

Chuck  NI0C
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

Billy, here's the link to some advice on this topic from W3FPR, an expert in Elecraft products: http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg79918.html

Chuck  NI0C
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »

Sorry chaps , a schoolboy error  Embarrassed

I have checked correctly using a straight key NOT MY PADDLE

12v supply im getting

40m =3w
30m =3w
20m =2.5w

Fresh internal Duracell AA's

40m = 1w
30m =1.5 w
20m = 1w

billy .

i will look on the reflector , i tried searching on the yahhoo sites but the only one i found was full of spam ...
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:14:48 AM »

These numbers are not really out of whack. You will usually find that 20m output is a bit lower
as is the receive sensitivity on that band. If you put more than 12V DC in (i.e. 12 - 13.8v) then you
will see output closer to 4W+. The KX1 output is quite sensitive to the input DC voltage.
For those with really low output there was a power mod that involved replacing a resistor in the
rig to increase output. The only side effect of this mod is after applying it you need to be careful
not to power it by more than about 12V otherwise the output will be too high (i.e 5W+) and the
PA transistor will overheat. 

Personally I use AA Lithium cells in my KX1 and only use the internal battery as backup in case
I forget my external battery.

Michael VE3WMB

Sorry chaps , a schoolboy error  Embarrassed

I have checked correctly using a straight key NOT MY PADDLE

12v supply im getting

40m =3w
30m =3w
20m =2.5w

Fresh internal Duracell AA's

40m = 1w
30m =1.5 w
20m = 1w

billy .

i will look on the reflector , i tried searching on the yahhoo sites but the only one i found was full of spam ...

K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »

Perhaps it is your power meter and not the rig at all.  Power meters, especially at low power levels, can frequently indicate wrong by 50% or more.

Just a thought.

72, JP, K8AG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: