Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy Questions  (Read 1921 times)
KF5PTB

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:02 PM »

I am brand new and want to go HF in a mobile rig. I am interested in Emergency communications. Is an Alinco DXR8T going to be a good starter? It seems to be the only all mode radio in my budget. Any info is appreciated.
73s
KF5PTB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:20:14 PM »

It might not be bad, but their service has been questionable.

A better choice might be a used IC-7000, or a very slightly used FT-857D, for the same cost.

If I wanted something "reliable" in the mobile, I'd probably try to figure how to mount a used Ten Tec Jupiter there.  I don't think I've ever heard of one failing, and they were on the market a really long time (and it's American-made with service readily available).

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »

Investigate a used IC-706.  They are common, had a long production run, and a good reliability record.

All bands 150m - 70cm (for the more-recent models), all modes.

About 10 years ago, when I bought mine, I asked about an Alinco.  The salesman (who sold Alinco's, as well as everything else) said:

. . . "You want something that works?  Buy the IC-706."

He may have been biased.

A used Yaesu FT-857 (it may still be in production) would be another alternative.

. .           Charles

PS -- I haven't checked the "Reviews" on this site, but you should.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »

Hi,

Make sure you ground everything, and use chokes...  If you do not, you will get RF all over the car...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »

It should work.
Mobile operation usually is limited by the antenna system/counterpoise and local noise... bonding all your grounds in the vehicle can be a challenge, but is worth it.  Powering directly from the battery also helps with local noise problems... there is no reason you cannot make it work!
Good luck with the project!
73s.

-Mike.
KF5PTB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »

I appreciate all of the info. I just checked the reviews. The Alinco has decent ratings. However, I am looking at some of the other options. Thanks. 73s.
KF5PTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »

OK so I have found the ICOM IC-718. Any input, or advice?
KF5PTB
73s
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »

The IC-718 is a good rig.   I don't think it has any reliability issues, but you'll learn about that by reading the reviews on this site.

If you can afford one, it's a good choice.   Try for one with the DSP option -- the noise reduction is helpful.

.           charles
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »

Investigate a used IC-706.  They are common, had a long production run, and a good reliability record.

ONLY if you get a later serial number MkIIG. Without announcement to *anyone*, even their dealers, Icom completely redesigned the PA board AND changed the PA devices MID PRODUCTION RUN. The early MkIIG PA's were suddenly no longer manufactured, have not been manufactured for years, and Icom did not get even a decent supply, even though they knew they were switching devices.
The early PA devices are UNOBTANIUM as are the finals boards
(Except if you find yourself an early "parts" rig with good PA's)
ALSO:
Neither the "new" Finals Board nor their devices are backwards compatible with earlier models, nor are there any PA devices on the market which will fit or work with early serial number 706 MkIIG's.

To top it all off, after MY early number MkIIG went tits up
and I learned all of this, Icom would not tell me the serial numbers of the rigs with the "New" PA Board installed!

Unbelievable!

Other than that it's an OK rig.
It does a lot of things, none of them particularly well,
which is common of these "shack in a box" rigs.
Some owners have complained of leading edge spikes.

Caveat Emptor, 73, Ken  AD6KA
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:25:59 AM »

Just MHO here, but I might suggest that the actual rig you pick isn't reallly a critical question.  You want one that you like, one that feels good and is easy to operate, but only YOU can decide whether you like a particular radio or not.   There are tons of good models for mobile HF out there, and if you don't mind looking for a used one, it can save you some money.   And for mobile use, a radio with a separate head unit and body is VERY convenient--gives you many more mounting options.  If you're going to be setting up a mobile station, you need to know about www.k0bg.com; this is "HF mobile for newbies" all in one incredibly helpful package.  Smiley   It's full of tons of good advice.  And one last bit of unsolicited information:  My old 706 has now outlived three cars over 9 years of mobile use--no complaints about the 706 here!  Smiley   Have fun, and 73!    --ken
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »

I currently have an Alinco DX-SR8T installed in my vehicle.  I am using it with a Lil Tarheel II with an Ameritron remote SWR/Wattmeter and an MFJ programmable antenna controller.  I also added a GAP Hear-It, DSP, amplified speaker.  This has been in place for about 8 months with absolutely no problems.  The Alinco is not as sophisticated as some all-band/all-mode radios but, for the price point, it can't be beat.
KF5PTB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »

Again, thank you all for the tips advice and input.
73s
KF5PTB
KF5PTB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »

Any advice on antenna tuners?
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 10:10:54 AM »

Mobile questions can be found at K0BG ...

LINK: http://www.k0bg.com/

"This site is dedicated to mobile amateur radio operators, old and new alike. Whether you're into HF, or VHF operation, I trust the information presented will increase your enjoyment of our great hobby.

With safety as a byword, there are articles on amplifiers, antennas, bonding, impedance matching, installing hardware, mobile equipment, noise and RFI abatement, wiring, and much more. I do my best to keep these articles up to date, and easy to follow. Any changes are reflected in the date at the beginning of each article."

Good luck.

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: