Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antennas  (Read 2611 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »

Instead of getting married, next time I'd just pick a woman I don't like much and give her half my stuff.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

Move to the country and find a woman who like horses. They never notice the towers. Don't worry about how many time you get married. Most of us have had more than one employer.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »

Or find a girl who's father and 3 uncles are hams and they always took her to various field day outings for more than 15 years when she was growing up.

After those kind of memories a 40 foot tower, a couple of masts for the wire antennas and a HF/6 meter radio running all the time in the background is nothing to her.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »

If you want one antenna that covers the bands you want it is the Yaesu ATAS-120 screwdriver antenna. A controller is made for it to allow any radio to be used. I use an ATAS-120 mobile on HF including 40 meter CW. Performance-wise it's about like a 40 meter Hamstick. Not great but good enough to work Japan from Utah while running 100 watts CW.

But no matter what you use for a mobile antenna or antennas you will make contacts and have fun.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:45:09 PM by WX7G » Logged
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

Oh Lord - the "no log entry in 2 years" coupled to the <rimshot> comment on "reason for divorces..." made me drop my iPhone from laughing so hard ...timing and delivery is everything in sateric humor. A+

anywho, don't want to crash/hijak the thread, but do need to send a shout out and a dit dit dah dah dit dit, to W0FM - Terry. Been a while since last QSO @ 7028ish kc... Lots of updates easier viewed on my updated QRZ, bruh. Catch me some morning on 7028 between 8 & 9 AM Eastern, whilst I make my way into work, or while I'm getting in my QRN-Free CW fix at Carriage Hill Farm. LOVE the S-Zero noise level of being "away from town"

My new wife is a ham... No dilemas, no fussing over radio, no "control" issues. She does Red Cross Emcom stuff, I'm 99.9% CW-HF. We do tons of radio related events, camping, bicycling, hiking... etc. etc. etc. we have the world stop on Thursday nights to watch Big Bang Theory together (the only TV show we actually plan to watch) and all is good in NSNville. Yep, we even got matching hats, t-shirts, and call signs (she vanitied K8NSN) :-)

73 from
NEVER
SAY
NEVER
plural !
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »

I'm no pro but I remember being tought in the Army that if you conect a wire to a slinky that you can get use that as an antenna. I remember that my platoon tryed it one time and did real well. we tossed the end of the slinky over a tree limb and layed a "space blanket" under it. They pack small and work, both should fit in a shoe box size container or smaller.
Just a thought.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

You can make a 10 meter dipole  for about a dollar, and stick it in the attic.  bring the coax through the back corner of a closet and put the shack ( a table or desk) next to or in the closet, and get on the air.  you can also stick a 2m/440 beam on a small rotor in the attic and use that.  I had a friend who uses an old style roll front desk to hide his station, it looks like an antique piece and when he lifts the roll up , there are his radios and such.  looks good and no one knows its there.

As far as the wife goes, I have been married and divorced 4 times my self.  I am current single and will remain so for  the remainder of my days, unless  there comes a very special lady. But as of now, I do what I want, when I want and spend what I want, because I only have to worry about me. If you are married, you need to keep in mind that you should have your life, she has her life and then you have your combined lives.  You need to be able to go fishin with the boys, and she needs to be able to go shopping with the girls, and then you can both share  your days' adventures over a nice meal in a restaurant together.

as far as antenna go, you can do lots of things, check out google for stealth antennas, home brew antennas and stuff.  good luck
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: