Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting adjusted to QRP  (Read 35902 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:54 AM »

" I've decided to let this discussion die"

AMEN       
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 01:57:38 AM »

Gil, a kW QRO station can be portable, perhaps not pedestrian portable though.
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 09:57:51 AM »

Gil, a kW QRO station can be portable, perhaps not pedestrian portable though.

I am sure it's possible, but you would need a generator.. Or heavy batteries.. "Portable" certainly means different things to different people. I did mean "pedestrian portable."

Gil.
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »

I have been a ham for about 55 years.  Still, there is something new to try.  A few years back, I started fooling with JT 65HF and loved it.  Had to dial my rig back from 100w to say about 20w.  It was nice that way. 

I never saw any reason to go QRP.  But, yesterday, I bought a KX3.  I have been reading this forum just to understand QRP better.  I have a HOA restricted community, so I had to work hard to make nearly invisible antennas work.  I like low power, since that minimizes potential for pissing off neighbors who do not otherwise notice me.

So after good experience with 20w, I am headed for 5w.  I just seems nice to not have to rely on brute force any more.  An efficient even though hidden antenna, a weak signal mode, a great receiver, and of course waiting for decent propagation, at that point a lot of power is not really necessary.

I have been getting adjusted to QRP, it just took me 55 years to make the adjustment. I guess I am just slow Smiley

Rene - WA6MJE
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »

Sorta like WWII clandestine radio, eh Rene?  Trying to stay one step ahead of the HOA Nazis!
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »

HOA -vs- OSS . . .  there's an image.   Shocked
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »

Hey the FCC agrees, they said HOAs have taught hams to build clandestine antennas. Tune up the the inlaw's bed.
'Ello Nighthawk, this is London calling.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »

Rumor has it that Benchly has a ware house full of prepacked MFJ CUBS,Par endfedz and Battery packs ready to be night dropped over U.S E.Coast during upcomming operation" Fiscal Cliff."
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »

Too damn bad they don't have a warehouse full of stink bombs to drop on DC after the "fiscal crisis!"
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »

Too damn bad they don't have a warehouse full of stink bombs to drop on DC after the "fiscal crisis!"

There is no point - no one would notice any difference in smell !!!

73 - Rob
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2012, 03:31:14 AM »

Rumor also has it that Benchley has the experimental anti ignorant germ warfare bomb made by S.Martin U.P.,LLC that may be worth a test drop on the DC disapproving grounds.
LX2GT

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2012, 05:02:15 AM »

Portable does mean different things to different people, it is all what you define it for yourself. For me personally, portable does mean, I can carry it at least 1km all my myself, in one trip (ie from car to operation position).

Everything more, I call transportable.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

I tend to go by the field day rules or the old licensing rules for what /P means - in essence transportable, and not connected to fixed infrastructure. If I was to specify foot-portable, I'd say foot portable or backpackable or something like that, in contrast to "pedestrian mobile" which means a station that can be used while walking and not just carried and set up.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: